Kia Niro Forum banner

41 - 60 of 85 Posts

·
Registered
2020 Kia Niro Phev SX Touring (EX Premium USA)
42 Posts
I've been looking under the dash for the receptacle. Any hints (or a pic) would be appreciated. Thanks
It in the Front driver side, under the driver fusebox location. You going need to stick your head underneath to see it.
here is a video of Niro EV i found, and it is the same location. You can see at the 3:45s mark where he plugs it in.

·
Registered
2020 Niro PHEV LXS
94 Posts
It in the Front driver side, under the driver fusebox location. You going need to stick your head underneath to see it.
here is a video of Niro EV i found, and it is the same location.
Perfect, found it. Thanks

·
Registered
2020 Niro PHEV LXS
94 Posts
It in the Front driver side, under the driver fusebox location.
Should get my OBD2 adapter today. How do you display in real time? I have an Android phone and tablet and thought about mounting it somewhere visible. Would a tablet be much better than a phone in terms of displaying the data? Thanks

·
Registered
42 Posts
Should get my OBD2 adapter today. How do you display in real time? I have an Android phone and tablet and thought about mounting it somewhere visible. Would a tablet be much better than a phone in terms of displaying the data? Thanks
When you open the PHEV Watchdog app and connect to the OBD2 with bluetooth adapter, it automatically shows everything in real time.
The phone would be fine to see the info, you can use tablet as well if the size to small on the phone.

I would recommend you read through this manual that one of the user created. It's very helpful in deciphering all the info the screen shows you.
PHEV Watchdog App Guide

·
Registered
2020 Niro PHEV LXS
94 Posts

·
Registered
831 Posts
Just received mine and It seems to work fine. The only issue is that it seems to be on even when the vehicle is off. I see on the PHEVwatchdog site there are models with autosleep/autowakeup functionality. Are these worthwhile? If so, any recommendations?
I ordered this one and it does have the auto on/off feature. If you plan to keep it plugged in all the time that's probably a good idea. The 12V battery in the PHEV is really small and several people have reported it dying due to excessive drain while parked.

·
Registered
2020 Niro PHEV LXS
94 Posts
I ordered this one and it does have the auto on/off feature. If you plan to keep it plugged in all the time that's probably a good idea. The 12V battery in the PHEV is really small and several people have reported it dying due to excessive drain while parked.
Thanks. Sounds nice, but can't believe it's 5X the price of the one I just ordered. Are there other factors besides the auto on/off that factored into your decision?

·
Registered
3,073 Posts
I had low 12 volt events from two different BT readers with two different reader apps. Neither had "on/off functionality", but really low sleep current, so low it would appear impossible to drain the battery. Yet it did. There is a possibility that they connected to the phone in my house and it was this communication that upped the current. I don't leave mine plugged in 24 hours anymore.

·
Registered
42 Posts
Personally i never had issue with the veepeak adapter draining my battery dead, i have it plug in 24/7 and haven't use my car for a week time without issue.
I do get battery discharge warning and the car had to use the main traction battery to charge the 12v after 3 or 4 days.
I have tested unplugging the OBD2 adapter, But i still get the discharge warning after 3 or 4 days. So seems like OBD2 hasn't exacerbate the discharge on the 12v.

From what i read online and comments about the NIRO PHEV/EV and IONIQ PHEV/EV, they all have the same issue. It is caused by the small 12v battery and all the car computer constantly checking the battery level and being connected to MYUVO/BLUELINK that causes the discharge warning.

If your looking for cheaper one that has auto sleep and resume feature, you can get this one below.
https://www.amazon.com/Vgate-Bluetooth-Scanner-Android-Compatible/dp/B06XGB4873/ref=sr_1_5?crid=3L3M42OUOE4XA&dchild=1&keywords=vgate+icar+pro+bluetooth+4.0&qid=1598621002&sprefix=vgate,aps,163&sr=8-5&th=1

You can check out PHEV watchdog website and see which bluetooth adapter he recommends.
PHEV Watchdog Android monitoring App

·
Registered
2020 Niro PHEV LXS
94 Posts
Thanks. I see it is on the recommended list of PHEVwatchdog. Does the included app add value and does it include everything you need? Unless there is some unique feature, I may try the vgate iCar Pro Bluetooth 4.0 (BLE) OBD2 Fault Code Reader mentioned by Mikek7.. It also has autosleep/autowake functions and is half the price.

·
Registered
3,073 Posts
Most generic apps do not display many useful values specific to hybrids and PHEV/BEVs. Some allow you to add PIDs that will display what you want. Apps like watchdog try to take the work out of it. No harm in trying both of course.

·
Registered
831 Posts
Thanks. I see it is on the recommended list of PHEVwatchdog. Does the included app add value and does it include everything you need? Unless there is some unique feature, I may try the vgate iCar Pro Bluetooth 4.0 (BLE) OBD2 Fault Code Reader mentioned by Mikek7.. It also has autosleep/autowake functions and is half the price.
The included app is ok as a generic code reader but not much else in terms of the PHEV. I actually paid for the Torque Pro app which does allow for displaying the PHEV data if you load the custom PID file here. Having said the PHEV Watchdog app is great since it's tailored specifically to displaying information from plug-ins.

I went with that reader specifically because it was compatible with the PHEV Watchdog. I wanted to be sure it would work as intended and for me, $50 is pretty reasonable for a quality reader with good support and features. For comparison I own the $199 Ross-Tech VCDS reader for my VW /Audi vehicles and it is a bargain for the utility it provides. As many wise men have said, "Buy once, cry once". I've been burned more than once trying to save money buying a cheap tool. Often, they're cheap for a reason.

·
Registered
2020 Niro PHEV LXS
94 Posts
The included app is ok as a generic code reader but not much else in terms of the PHEV. I actually paid for the Torque Pro app which does allow for displaying the PHEV data if you load the custom PID file here. Having said the PHEV Watchdog app is great since it's tailored specifically to displaying information from plug-ins.
Very good to hear. Just getting my feet wet so that helps me

·
Registered
2020 Niro PHEV LXS
94 Posts
I've been testing PHEVwatchdog, but can't change units to US. Am I doing something wrong? It says restart to effect change. I even reboot phone, but it's still stuck on metric?

Update: it looks some values have changed but most haven't?

·
Registered
2020 Niro PHEV LXS
94 Posts
Very good to hear. Just getting my feet wet so that helps

·
Registered
2020 Niro PHEV LXS
94 Posts
Having said the PHEV Watchdog app is great since it's tailored specifically to displaying information from plug-ins.
Can PHEVwatchdog log real time data in a format equal to or similar to csv so that a spreadsheet and graph could be created at the conclusion of a trip? Is logging available when testing the app or only after making a donation? Thanks

·
Registered
3,073 Posts
I believe it has been posted you have to pay to have full access, and that access is from the website.

·
Registered
2020 Niro PHEV LXS
94 Posts
Can someone post a log file showing what the data might look like from PHEVwatchdog. As mentioned, I'd like to see data in csv (or similar) that can be displayed in spreadsheet and graph. Thanks

41 - 60 of 85 Posts