Kia Niro Forum banner

61 - 80 of 85 Posts

·
Registered
3,079 Posts
Log into PHEV Watchdog (demo log in) and you can see the graphs they generate. I don't know if there is access to raw data to put in a spreadsheet. But the developer does!

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter #63
Hello everyone.

Just to let you know that I've pushed a major update for phevwatchdog.net... I've finally setup filters for models. No more mixing overall data for Niros/Ioniqs with Optimas/Sonatas or Outlanders. Now everything displays filtered according to model.
Also fixed minor issues and added the option for each one to export they're own trip cards and battery condition cards (xml).

Next I'll be publishing an update for the App with some fixes and I might add a couple of new charts on the website.

Of course as always App is free but the access to the website restricted to contributors. Of course as always App is free but access to the website restricted to contributors.

You can install App for Android (only) here: PHEV Watchdog - Apps on Google Play

Export of data from the Trip cards view and Battery condition view @ phevwatchdog.net

Trip charts view with a bunch of info @ phevwatchdog.net

Cells charts view @ phevwatchdog.net

Best regards,
Daniel Santos.

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter #65
Update is for the website (screenshots above are from the website)...

I'll be publishing an update for the APP with some fixes sometime soon, but no major changes.

Best regards,
Daniel Santos.

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter #66 (Edited)
The included app is ok as a generic code reader but not much else in terms of the PHEV. I actually paid for the Torque Pro app which does allow for displaying the PHEV data if you load the custom PID file here. Having said the PHEV Watchdog app is great since it's tailored specifically to displaying information from plug-ins.

I went with that reader specifically because it was compatible with the PHEV Watchdog. I wanted to be sure it would work as intended and for me, $50 is pretty reasonable for a quality reader with good support and features. For comparison I own the $199 Ross-Tech VCDS reader for my VW /Audi vehicles and it is a bargain for the utility it provides. As many wise men have said, "Buy once, cry once". I've been burned more than once trying to save money buying a cheap tool. Often, they're cheap for a reason.
Sorry been away a few days...

PHEV Watchdog will do much more than just scan generic OBD2 data. It will retrieve specific data for the PHEV system: like battery voltage, individual cell voltages, temperatures from the sensors, actual torque from the motor, current flowing in and out of the battery, rpm of the battery fan and much more. But the beauty of it is actually it's ability to calculate stats and infere other data which are not available from the interface: engine running time, number of times the engine fired, glide time, regen brake time, stopped time, distance on pure EV, distance on pure EV before the engine fired, EV consumption (total or from the wall), HV consumption and much more. And of course you conveniently enable logging to a file which you can afterward analyse yourself.

This is all free (ads supported) and I believe that's not something you can easilly get from any other App.

Besides this there's also the website which is restricted to contributors as I do have costs for running it.
When enabled on the App, the App will sync data online which you can then access on the website. The website will shoe the very same cars (trips and battery condition) and a full collection of analysis charts from trips, battery and cells. With enough trips logged you can for example see which cells ids have been repoting the lowest voltages (these should be the bad ones).
But this is only an example, there's a bunch of information there so I would invite anyone interested to take a peek ofthe website PHEV Watchdog Android monitoring App just login using the demo user/password: showme.

Donating (5€ minimum) will remove Ads, enable the widgets interface (graphical) and give you access to the website (and the possibility of uploading your data there).
Other than this the free App is totally functional for unlimited time.

It's been a huge sucess with Mitsubishi Outlander PHEV owners (about 1000 cars there) and very helpful to some on claiming the battery warranty as the Outlander seems to estimate very poorly the actual battery capacity and this kind of data was previously only available trought dealers.

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter #67
Trying to calibrate the useable SoC (State of Charge from where below the engine will fire) and estimated EV range available accordingly.

Can someone using the App confirm it is around 16% or 4Ah?

Thank you,
Daniel Santos.

·
Registered
2020 Kia Niro Phev SX Touring (EX Premium USA)
42 Posts
Trying to calibrate the useable SoC (State of Charge from where below the engine will fire) and estimated EV range available accordingly.

Can someone using the App confirm it is around 16% or 4Ah?

Thank you,
Daniel Santos.
Yes that is correct. Engine will fire 16% or 4Ah.

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter #69
Thanks I think I've set it to 18% I will correct this for the next release.

This affects the useable SoC % inside the battery icon in the main screen and also the EV range estimation.

Hope to add the cells map also which is only available for the Outlander now.

Best regards,
Daniel Santos.

·
Super Moderator
2019 Niro PHEV EX Premium
1,386 Posts
I think there's some flexibility in the software logic about exactly when the ICE will fire. I've seen it come on around 20% before, but that wasn't typical. I usually see it about 16% in general. That higher trigger might have been temperature related, or perhaps based in the most recent driving pattern. I'm sure it's not something that Kia would publish, as I'm sure that sort of info is considered propitiatory.

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter #71
Yes, the same happens with the Outlander PHEV. Depending on the demand it might start the ICE sooner but under normal conditions it's usually around 30%.

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter #73
I really do not want to read all 4 pages of posts, does this app do anything on the EV model, as opposed to the PHEV?
Because I was asked I'm actually starting to work on it.
But it won't be the same App, I'm thinking of a new one :)

Best regards,
Daniel Santos.

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter #75
New for the next version (to be released soon) are the voltage maps, added them for the Hyundai/Kia PHEVs (wasn't supported yet on the previous releases).

·
Registered
2020 Kia Niro Phev SX Touring (EX Premium USA)
42 Posts
New for the next version (to be released soon) are the voltage maps, added them for the Hyundai/Kia PHEVs (wasn't supported yet on the previous releases).
Thanks for your hard work, this was one of the features I wanted in the app and look forward to the update.

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter #80
Found that SoH data has changed for the Ioniq PHEV 2020 which made the App not work.

Wondering if it's the same for the Niro PHEV 2020, anyone having trouble with the App for Niro PHEV 2020?

61 - 80 of 85 Posts