Kia Niro Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I love our new PHEV, but I have this question. No matter how long I charge the vehicle (120 V.) why does the battery range never show more than 24 miles?

·
Registered
198 Posts
For a second I thought your range wasn't going down past 24 miles. :D
Give turning off climate control a try, if it's still stick at 24, then you may want to bring your Niro into the dealership.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Do you always use 120v to charge? I'm a new owner and that's what I was planning to do but the owner's manual says 120v charging is only "for emergencies." Have you had any problems?

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks for the tips re: 24 vs. 26 mile range. I have had my PHEV for over two months now, and have only "trickle" charged it from 110V.

I can find no sources that say that is not recommended - other than the Kia manual.

·
Registered
2,968 Posts
Range is not actual, but estimated. Such numbers are relative and you can only learn what they mean by seeing how far you go in the real world on EV only. The charge is software controlled and changing charging voltage is not going to change the capacity.

·
Registered
26 Posts
For the last two days my car has stopped charging when the range shows 23 instead of the 26 miles that I have seen every other time. This is on a level 2 Chargepoint charger at my office. The one thing that is common is that I used the same charger both days. I will try a different plug tomorrow to see if I get a different result. And yes: I have the climate controls off.

·
Registered
26 Posts
For the last two days my car has stopped charging when the range shows 23 instead of the 26 miles that I have seen every other time. This is on a level 2 Chargepoint charger at my office. The one thing that is common is that I used the same charger both days. I will try a different plug tomorrow to see if I get a different result. And yes: I have the climate controls off.
Looks like the charger was to blame. I went to a different plug and the battery is showing 100%

1 - 9 of 9 Posts