Kia Niro Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My 2017 HEV allowed me to dial contacts on my bluetooth enabled smartphone, and interract with other apps on the phone by voice. On my new, 2020 PHEV EV, if I don't have the phone plugged into the USB port, an advisory pops up on the screen telling me to plug in the phone and enable Android Auto. Is there a setting I'm missing? I don't want to have to plug in the phone every time I get in the car. BTW, if I go the "Hello, Google", route to dial a phone number, the audio can be heard through the car's speakers. Please, tell me, there is a way to configure the "talk" button like it was on the 2017 HEV.
Ernie S.

·
Super Moderator
2022 Bolt EUV Premier
1,938 Posts
I hadn't heard of any changes in the way the car interacts with a Bluetooth phone. The car doesn't support wireless AA or Car Play, and I don't think the wheel button can activate the Google assistant on an Android phone like it can access Siri on an iPhone. While mine is a '19, I've never seen such a message on the screen. I suggest checking in the radio menus for something that might control that message. Perhaps under the BT settings. I doubt it's a setting on the phone, but worth looking there as well.

·
Registered
21 Posts
In my 2019 PHEV, I only use wireless (bluetooth) to connect to my iPhone X, but the Kia won't support GPS mapping without the phone being plugged-in. The issue is that I always have a thumbdrive in the only USB connection in order to play my music media. I'm hoping there will be a solution that allows either dual USB ports or full bluetooth phone support so that I can use the center console for GPS mapping and still have my music/media connected. I'm wondering what Kia will do when the iPhones no longer have a physical connection anymore.

·
Super Moderator
2022 Bolt EUV Premier
1,938 Posts
In my 2019 PHEV, I only use wireless (Bluetooth) to connect to my iPhone X, but the Kia won't support GPS mapping without the phone being plugged-in. The issue is that I always have a thumbdrive in the only USB connection in order to play my music media. I'm hoping there will be a solution that allows either dual USB ports or full Bluetooth phone support so that I can use the center console for GPS mapping and still have my music/media connected. I'm wondering what Kia will do when the iPhones no longer have a physical connection anymore.
I believe the 2020 version has dual USB data ports, but if you can actually use both for that reason at the same time I can't answer. There's very few cars capable of wireless CarPlay, same as with wireless Android Auto. From some reports Bluetooth doesn't have enough bandwidth to support it, and cars that do have wireless CarPlay do it over 5 GHz WiFi, not Bluetooth.

Do you have enough storage space on the phone to have a copy of your music on it as well?

·
Registered
3,306 Posts
Zero cars with wireless AA. Can't have it until Google makes it. Then the head units will have to be compatible, or an add on accessory to enable it like is available for iPhones.

·
Super Moderator
2022 Bolt EUV Premier
1,938 Posts
If you want to use Android Auto wirelessly, you need two things: a compatible car radio that has built-in Wi-Fi, and a compatible Android phone. Most head units that work with Android Auto, and most phones that are capable of running Android Auto, can't use the wireless functionality.

Here's what you need to start using Android Auto Wireless:
  • A compatible head unit: Your car radio, or head unit, needs to be capable of running Android Auto. It also needs to have Wi-Fi, and it needs to be certified to use its Wi-Fi connection in this manner.
  • A compatible phone: Your Android phone needs to be running Android 8.0 Oreo or newer if it's a Pixel phone or the Nexus 5X or 6P. The Samsung Galaxy S8/S8+, S9/S9+, S10/S10+, and the Note 8/9/10 phones all support Android Audio Wireless if they're running Android 9.0 Pie or higher.

Yes, wireless Android Auto exists.

·
Registered
3,306 Posts
Yes, wireless Android Auto exists.
I stand corrected. Wasn't convinced by the link, but I found a Google resource that listed many cars since 2017 that support it (requires wifi in car) and phones: "Any smartphone with Android 11.0 and 5GHz Wi-Fi."

Interestingly, I couldn't find any reviews of cars with wireless AA, only aftermarket head units. I don't entirely trust Google's rather large list of available cars with no reports of real world use. Something fishy going on since market leader CarPlay has a rather restricted number of compatible cars, mostly German cars for some reason.

·
Super Moderator
2022 Bolt EUV Premier
1,938 Posts
Yeah, I don't recall any wireless AA reviews. I've seen one or two for wireless CarPlay, and it wasn't good. But that might have been something specific with BMWs, not the wireless functionality.

·
Super Moderator
566 Posts
The biggest problem with technology is it constantly changes. I have learnt that you are best to stick with what you know and have and never be reliant on new technology to solve an issue that hasn't proven itself.

I loose count on my fingers the number of times I have bought into a new technology only to be superceeded by something else or just totally dropped. The side of Apple with their warning decision "bravery" to drop all cable connections from their phones to make them more waterproof (but really its to screw over the EU that is mandating them to use the USB-C port). Andriod Auto and Carplay are a great idea, but like many technologies we know they are ever evolving along with the tech inside a phone. Sadly the car is not as much a throw away technology as some of us keep them for well over 2-3 years. I would like to get 10+ out of my Niro. So I know that at some point in the near future, I am going to run out of day to day phones that will have the technology to work with my car.

·
Registered
9 Posts
I believe the 2020 version has dual USB data ports, but if you can actually use both for that reason at the same time I can't answer. There's very few cars capable of wireless CarPlay, same as with wireless Android Auto. From some reports Bluetooth doesn't have enough bandwidth to support it, and cars that do have wireless CarPlay do it over 5 GHz WiFi, not Bluetooth.

Do you have enough storage space on the phone to have a copy of your music on it as well?
I’ve stated our problem with voice call in another Kia forum. With our iPhone in the car (2020 Niro plug-in) contacts synced, and not plugged in to activate CarPlay, by pressing the voice all button, we only get a screen with the option of plugging into CarPlay. Apparently we can ONLY use voice call via CarPlay and not via Niro Bluetooth. Other solutions would be appreciated.

·
Super Moderator
2022 Bolt EUV Premier
1,938 Posts
I’ve stated our problem with voice call in another Kia forum. With our iPhone in the car (2020 Niro plug-in) contacts synced, and not plugged in to activate CarPlay, by pressing the voice all button, we only get a screen with the option of plugging into CarPlay. Apparently we can ONLY use voice call via CarPlay and not via Niro Bluetooth. Other solutions would be appreciated.
I believe I just responded in the other thread. You have to press and hold the voice button to activate Siri on a Bluetooth linked iPhone. It doesn't have to be connected via the USB cable.

·
Registered
Niro HEV 2020, Emotion
10 Posts
I can call pressing the voice call button in my 2020 HEV through my iPhone connected by bluetooth.
Usually I have to wait several minutes to do the call after starting the motor (some 1 or 2 km drive). Before, contacts are not synced.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts