Kia Niro Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi, I have a problem with the plug-in door of my Niro EV getting stuck. I have gone to the dealership 3 times already to get that reset again. I know I know - I need to make sure all car doors are unlocked before attempting to open the plugin charge door. I've followed all the instructions like a schoolboy. But it just keeps happening every few months. Getting tired of this and taking it to get things reset. Anyone else having that problem? I looked up a similar thread on this forum (post #50594) but his/her issue got fixed by making sure all main doors are unlocked. I haven't been that lucky. Any inputs?

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
What happens if you use the emergency release? Is the door flush, or slightly ajar?
The door was slightly ajar. But you are spot on Spiritwalker2222! When I took it to the dealership, they showed me the Emergency release which unlocked the stuck door. Interestingly enough it's very hard to replicate and it doesn't happen every time. Until it happens again on its whim, I am all set for now. thanks again!

·
Registered
4 Posts
Hi, I have a problem with the plug-in door of my Niro EV getting stuck. I have gone to the dealership 3 times already to get that reset again. I know I know - I need to make sure all car doors are unlocked before attempting to open the plugin charge door. I've followed all the instructions like a schoolboy. But it just keeps happening every few months. Getting tired of this and taking it to get things reset. Anyone else having that problem? I looked up a similar thread on this forum (post #50594) but his/her issue got fixed by making sure all main doors are unlocked. I haven't been that lucky. Any inputs?
my 2019 did the same thing twice and when taken to the dealer they said it was a program problem and they did some thing with the program and it has been fine ever sense

·
Registered
13 Posts
My phev dose this sometimes I found I have to lock and unlock the car so it will let me open the door hope this helps btw the door come off very easily as it just slide on the hinge

·
Super Moderator
2019 Niro PHEV EX Premium
1,273 Posts
There's a button on the dash. It changes the way the lock works on the charge port. If it's on, you cannot unplug the charge cable if charging is occurring. But when the charge is complete you can disconnect the cable regardless of the door lock status. If the button is turned off, then the charge cable is locked to the car at all times until the car doors are unlocked. And if you don't unplug within a short time (perhaps a minute) it will relock.

This is intentional. If you're using your own EVSE, and you're somewhere out in public, you don't want someone unplugging your EVSE and walking off with it. But if you're using a public charger somewhere, you want someone to be able to unplug you once it's charged to let someone else use the charger.

·
Registered
1 Posts
The door was slightly ajar. But you are spot on Spiritwalker2222! When I took it to the dealership, they showed me the Emergency release which unlocked the stuck door. Interestingly enough it's very hard to replicate and it doesn't happen every time. Until it happens again on its whim, I am all set for now. thanks again!
I was having the same issue, but when I took it to the dealer, they replaced the mechanical piece inside the door. A few weeks later, its stuck again! Where is the emergency release? Hoping this will be a quick fix before I can get back to the dealer.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I was having the same issue, but when I took it to the dealer, they replaced the mechanical piece inside the door. A few weeks later, its stuck again! Where is the emergency release? Hoping this will be a quick fix before I can get back to the dealer.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Scrow. Emergency release is located in the hood on the lower right side. Its Orange color plastic tab. You have to pull it. The owners manual shows this process too. I should’ve read it before I went to the dealership a few times! Hope that helps.

·
Super Moderator
2019 Niro PHEV EX Premium
1,273 Posts
Scrow. Emergency release is located in the hood on the lower right side. Its Orange color plastic tab. You have to pull it. The owners manual shows this process too. I should’ve read it before I went to the dealership a few times! Hope that helps.
I assume you mean right hand side when standing at the front end. That's the left side of the car. :D

·
Registered
2 Posts
There seems to be a sequence you have to follow
1 switch off /unplug charger
2 open car door leave open
3 unplug lead
If it doesn't work lock doors and start again
I don't have a 7kW home charger yet so don't know how it would work if charge was incomplete & you can't switch off wall unit.

·
Registered
7 Posts
I had the same problem. Took the car to the dealer, they performed a software update. it worked for two days then went back to not working. Back to the dealer, this time to have the charge door lock mechanism replaced. The dealer ordered and installed the new part. This new part was defective! so the dealer ordered another new part, shipped overnight, installed and now seems to be operating correctly. Note: I was unable to make the emergency release work When my charge door lock failed
Fyi there was a recall for the charge cord. Bring it with when you service at the dealer. As far as I can tell the dealer just installed a rubber bumper cover over the charge cord box. Luvs me Niro

Just a reminder to change your cabin air filter for best AC performance.

·
Registered
386 Posts
Mine stuck for 1st time today. Emergency release worked 1st try. Fingers X ed that it is a one time episode, but previous post suggest I may have to visit the dealer.

·
Registered
474 Posts
Well, my gas tank door gets stuck sometimes so it's a universal problem. I just whack the door with my hand and it pops open. I think the solenoid that unlocks the door sticks.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts