Kia Niro Forum banner

21 - 38 of 38 Posts

·
Registered
223 Posts
Hey Dovidan,
My PHEV was manufactured 12/18. It's fine since replacing the water pump UNTIL TODAY. :(
Today's issue seems to be unrelated to the water pump but who knows. It's an issue with the Engine Control System according to the alert that came on my car's screen. Calling to make a service appointment right now.

I hope they can get a replacement part for you within a reasonable time!
Thanks Lucy; sorry to hear you've another issue. Pls keep us posted.

Lucy & Mallio: How many miles on your's now?

Mine thru same codes today as it did last week w 620 miles on the odo, was able to drive back to the dealer. Not a happy Niro owner right now!

·
Registered
13 Posts
Mine was replaced at 3600 miles, currently at 7400.

Took mine in for the first oil change today. They have a service item to take my water pump apart to replace some internal part. They are aware that they already replaced it with a new one, so maybe there is still a problem but they've narrowed it down to the root cause. It takes 3 hours so they said I can schedule it for a more convenient time, so I guess it isn't urgent. Though if the first one failed at 3600, it seems like this one would be about to fail too. Not sure why this doesn't show up as a recall though...

·
Registered
223 Posts
Mine was replaced at 3600 miles, currently at 7400.

Took mine in for the first oil change today. They have a service item to take my water pump apart to replace some internal part. They are aware that they already replaced it with a new one, so maybe there is still a problem but they've narrowed it down to the root cause. It takes 3 hours so they said I can schedule it for a more convenient time, so I guess it isn't urgent. Though if the first one failed at 3600, it seems like this one would be about to fail too. Not sure why this doesn't show up as a recall though...
can you find out if there is a service bulletin # for this?

·
Registered
4 Posts
Hi Dovidan,

My Niro PHEV has about 4700miles on it. I took it to the dealer yesterday because the check engine light came on because there was something wrong with the "Engine Control System". The code for that was P030400 (I think) and that means that the 4th cylinder misfired. While it was in there the service advisor said that there was a recall on the electric water pump for my car. I told him that mine was already changed but he thinks he still has to do it. So there is an official recall on those electric water pumps.

My car will be in the shop for a couple more days at least. FML. That would make it 24 days that the car was in the shop since I bought it earlier this year. A brand new car shouldn't be in the shop for warranty repair for 24 days when the car doesn't even have 5000 miles on it.

Buyers remorse is so real right now. :(

·
Registered
223 Posts
Hi Dovidan,

My Niro PHEV has about 4700miles on it. I took it to the dealer yesterday because the check engine light came on because there was something wrong with the "Engine Control System". The code for that was P030400 (I think) and that means that the 4th cylinder misfired. While it was in there the service advisor said that there was a recall on the electric water pump for my car. I told him that mine was already changed but he thinks he still has to do it. So there is an official recall on those electric water pumps.

My car will be in the shop for a couple more days at least. FML. That would make it 24 days that the car was in the shop since I bought it earlier this year. A brand new car shouldn't be in the shop for warranty repair for 24 days when the car doesn't even have 5000 miles on it.

Buyers remorse is so real right now. :(
Dang Lucy, I so agree -- that sucks! I feel your pain as mine is in the shop for the 2nd time in the 1st 600 miles, 8 days out of the 26 I have owned it.

Another 6 days at the dealer & you may qualify for a full refund or replacement accord to CA Lemon law: "...The vehicle has been out of service for more than 30 days (not necessarily all at the same time) while being repaired for any number of warranty problems...

So far they haven't mentioned the water pump & I can't find a recall on line. If you can get a recall number I'd appreciate it. I'd prefer to have mine replace rather than waiting to see if it is gonna give up the ghost on me! If you prefer, feel free to PM me. DDan

·
Registered
4 Posts
I have a 2019 EX Premium bought in May of this year. Last week I had the first oil change done and dealer ordered the part needed for water pump recall.
Today I took my NIRO in for the water pump recall. The printout from the dealer said "Performed SA394. No DTC's Replaced Hybrid Motor EWP Can Case Kit and refilled coolant.

Someone mentioned it takes 3 hours, but I was at dealership for a total of 2 and a half hours and my Niro didn't actually get back to a service bay until about 45 minutes after I arrived because they were very busy.

·
Super Moderator
450 Posts
You have to watch out for those time quotes it generally calls for billable person hours. So some jobs you can have two people working on it and get the job done in 1.5h but it is still a 3 hour job.

·
Registered
4 Posts
You have to watch out for those time quotes it generally calls for billable person hours. So some jobs you can have two people working on it and get the job done in 1.5h but it is still a 3 hour job.
Yes, I suppose that's possible. FYI The manufacture date of my NIRO on the driver's door placard is 01/19.

·
Registered
138 Posts
Thank you for posting the recall/campaign number SA394. We have a Niro PHEV made in 11/18 and bought 5/19. I searched for recall /campaigns for this vehicle but my searches don't return any. On the KIA Owners Website for our vehicle it also displays a 0 for Recalls or Campaigns. I have called one Dealership out of curiosity about this Recall/Campaign and they were clueless.

If there is a problem with these water pumps on Niros I hope KIA gets on the ball and starts notifying owners.

On our Toyota's we got letters notifying us of any recalls almost immediately when the recalls were announced.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Thank you for posting the recall/campaign number SA394. We have a Niro PHEV made in 11/18 and bought 5/19. I searched for recall /campaigns for this vehicle but my searches don't return any. On the KIA Owners Website for our vehicle it also displays a 0 for Recalls or Campaigns. I have called one Dealership out of curiosity about this Recall/Campaign and they were clueless.

If there is a problem with these water pumps on Niros I hope KIA gets on the ball and starts notifying owners.

On our Toyota's we got letters notifying us of any recalls almost immediately when the recalls were announced.
I couldn't find anything on it either, but my dealership had the information on it.

·
Registered
223 Posts

Ditto for mine. Dealer said they had a couple of water pump recalls but at this point doesn't appear to involve mine. Builtd date 2/19, VIN ... K5273935.

Meanwhile I've got my car back again. Still somewhat of a mystery what went wrong but possibly related to the aftermarket LED backup lights I installed. One was loose in its socket. :confused::eek::confused: As much as I appreciated having brighter backup lights, I removed them. Will drive it for a few months. Then if no issues may try them again.

My Kia dealer was pretty good natured about it & thankfully didn't try to blame me for the problem :x -- although it is definite possible that those BU lights were the issue -- either due to it being a diff bulb or bulb being loose.

·
Registered
13 Posts
My build was also 01/19, and I declined the service at the time due to the wait, but the receipt lists it as "SA394" as well. Nothing shows up on the owners portal though, and they didn't make it seem urgent...It doesn't really make sense though since I already got a new one installed.

·
Registered
223 Posts
My build was also 01/19, and I declined the service at the time due to the wait, but the receipt lists it as "SA394" as well. Nothing shows up on the owners portal though, and they didn't make it seem urgent...It doesn't really make sense though since I already got a new one installed.
Mallio: If you don't mind sharing, what are the last 7 characters of your VIN? Feel free to PM me if you prefer. Thanks

·
Registered
363 Posts

It's recently posted on the NHTSA web site. The technical PDF for the water pump is here: https://static.nhtsa.gov/odi/tsbs/2019/MC-10165622-0001.pdf

Or you can go to https://www.nhtsa.gov/recalls and look up your car by VIN or model. There are at least four newly posted TSBs for the month of September.

·
Registered
138 Posts
Thank you for posting the SA394 notice. Apparently this is only done if there is a problem not as a preventative measure.

·
Super Moderator
484 Posts
Looks like the vehicle production date cutoff is the end of January. If I remember right, mine was built in March of 2019. Looks like I won't need it.

·
Registered
223 Posts
21 - 38 of 38 Posts