Kia Niro Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
We picked up a new Kia Niro Plug-in Hybrid a couple of weeks ago. My wife's digging the car, but for one oddity: The indicated EV range, when the car is fully charged, shows 24 miles, not 26.

Anyone else experiencing this? Is this normal? Some variable we've missed?

Oddly, the car will show a range of 26 miles when it's (a) fully charged, AND (b) still plugged into the wall. Once the plug is disconnected, the indicated range drops to 24 miles. The EV "fuel" meter still shows full, it's just the mileage range that drops.

·
Registered
43 Posts
That happened to me at first but now it most always says 26 after a charge. I think it is just a computer learning curve.

·
Registered
15 Posts
The indicator will read 26 miles for a fully charged battery IF the climate system is not engaged.

As soon as you turn on the climate system or even the fan, the indicated range will be updated to only 24 miles on a fully charge battery to account for the added electrical drain. In my experience it overcompensates.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
The indicator will read 26 miles for a fully charged battery IF the climate system is not engaged.

As soon as you turn on the climate system or even the fan, the indicated range will be updated to only 24 miles on a fully charge battery to account for the added electrical drain. In my experience it overcompensates.
Thanks, I'll have to check that out. It is very likely that the fan is on in some capacity, it almost always is on at least low.

·
Registered
774 Posts

Yep, this is my experience with my PHEV as well. I tend to drive with the CC off in nice weather and the display shows 26 miles on a full charge. When my wife has been driving it (with the CC on) it shows 24 miles when fully charged.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Confirmed: Turning off the climate controls (we literally just had the fan set to low) and the range returns to 26 miles.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts