Kia Niro Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Plug in tax credit

The Niro plug-in federal tax credit will be $4,543. This is based on the 8.9 kWh battery, and federal tax guidelines for battery size, etc. State-by-state incentives will vary, but include $1,500 in CA/CT/MA/TN, $1,100 in NY/MD. SC and CO also have $incentives

·
Registered
69 Posts
If it's going to be in Q4 towards the end of the year it'll have to be a 2018. Anything built after August is deemed a 2018 model isn't it?

·
Registered
3 Posts
Model year designation varies, not specific to Aug or Sept., etc. But rules say only can have one January 1st in the model year run some model years can be long. But, usually 3Q or 4Q on sale timing implies next year designation, so PHEV Niro with November on sale date will be 2018 model year.

·
Registered
71 Posts
The Niro plug-in federal tax credit will be $4,543. This is based on the 8.9 kWh battery, and federal tax guidelines for battery size, etc. State-by-state incentives will vary, but include $1,500 in CA/CT/MA/TN, $1,100 in NY/MD. SC and CO also have $incentives
Interesting. Where did you get the 8.9 Kwh battery information [& I'm not being a wisea**]? Are there prototype/preproduction reviews somewhere? If so could you provide link? I've read most, if not all, of the current Nero reviews which they all like the car except for the 6 speed dual clutch transmission/engine integration, which is also mention within this forum. It's a concern for me, but I do want a CUV and as a prior Kia Sportage owner, which I liked a lot, I'm hoping for owner reviews of the PHEV as soon as they are available.

·
Registered
3 Posts
It was in some press releases, including one at Car and Driver. If you google Niro PHEV, Car and Driver story shows up.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Niro Plug-in

I've came to this thread looking for more info on the plug-in, hoping someone had found some Korean pages or something. In my searching, I saw a reference to the Niro having been sold in Europe before the US, so I decided to check on the plugger.

Turns out the plug-ins apparently ARE being sold in Germany: {urls removed since I am too newbie -- search "Kia Niro Plug-in Hybrid - Kia Motors Deutschland"}

Google translate doesn't seem to garble it too horribly, though I admit to not getting too far in the machine-translated version since I read German easier than Googarble.

Comparable info for the regular Niro is at "Entdecken Sie den neuen Kia Niro - Kia Motors Deutschland"

There is also some good plug-in info in a "pressemappe" PDF, that answered my question about ground clearance: same 160mm as the regular Niro. I was concerned that with the larger and heavier batteries, or in search of better aerodynamics, Kia might configure the car with a little less "Bodenfreiheit."

I've come very close to buying the regular Niro, but backed off, wondering if I'd regret not waiting for the plug-in.

Those pages may be able to help with the pricing questions, if you can figure out the corresponding German 2018 HEV vs PHEV trims/options, correlate them to German 2017 trims/options/prices, compare those to US 2017 trims/options/prices, apply ratios and rules-of-thumb, and then go lie down for a while before deciding what you might have learned.

·
Registered
198 Posts
Green Car Reports says Kia is already producing U.S. spec plug-in Niros, actually they began on the 15th of this month and the car won't be on sale until December. Meaning the wait time for one should be relatively short since they're already stockpiling the vehicle.

·
Registered
198 Posts
So the plug-in Niro sales may start earlier than Devember, instead it could start as soon as late November. North America specs are still unknown, but Kia release info on the European model already; Specs

Kia Niro PHEV spec:

1.6-litre direct-injection petrol engine (104bhp and 147Nm) paired with a 44.5kW (60bhp) electric motor – Transmission-Mounted Electric Device (TMED). System output is 139bhp, with 265Nm of torque. Drive to the front wheels is through a six-speed dual-clutch automatic gearbox (6DCT).
0-60mph in 10.4 seconds and has a top speed of 107mph
8.9 kWh lithium-ion polymer battery pack
up to 36 miles (58 km) in all-electric range , ~27 miles real world
potential fuel economy of well over 200mpg and CO2 emissions of just 29g/km
drag coefficient (Cd) of .30
4,355mm long, 1,805mm wide and 1,535mm tall
curb weight to 1,594kg
luggage space – 324 litres

·
Registered
62 Posts
I very much looking forward to the PHEV. I live in a city, and can take full advantage of the ~29 mile range, and do like some Volt people do and get well beyond 1000's of miles on a tank.

·
Registered
1 Posts
PHEV pricing?

I appreciate all of the info posted here on this forum. Does anyone know HOW much more the PHEV is likely to retail for over the current models and will they have trim levels? Secondly, I am close to buying a touring model now, but am I better to wait until the PHEV is released? I am thinking that a newer model with plug in features might change demand for the non Plug in models...

Thanks all!

·
Registered
174 Posts
It will have 3 different trim levels. LX, EX, and EX premium. No idea on pricing.

I would wait for at least the pricing to be announced and for the dealerships to get the 2018 models. First, the 2018 EX Premium Niro (non plug-in) will have the same features as the Touring, but it will have the smaller rims that are more MPG efficient. Second, it might help you lower the price on a 2017 Touring. Third, maybe you'll get the plug-in.

·
Registered
2 Posts
A local SF Bay area dealership is willing to take a deposit and order the car if I am willing to buy at MSRP. Does anyone have a sense of what MSRP will be based on how the plug-in was priced with reference to the non-plugin model in other countries where it was released?

I am debating whether to try to buy it at MSRP in 2017 to avail of the $4500 Fed credit that will go away next year or just wait and negotiate a better price in 2018.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Bay area deals?

A local SF Bay area dealership is willing to take a deposit and order the car if I am willing to buy at MSRP. Does anyone have a sense of what MSRP will be based on how the plug-in was priced with reference to the non-plugin model in other countries where it was released?

I am debating whether to try to buy it at MSRP in 2017 to avail of the $4500 Fed credit that will go away next year or just wait and negotiate a better price in 2018.
I just started researching the Niro Touring. The best internet price Ive seen so far is 28100 for a 2017 via truecar. Have you had any better deals than this? Im wondering how much lower they are willing to go knowing the plugin is coming soon.

·
Registered
2 Posts
That seems like a great price. Is that a fully loaded Touring? (If I recall are probably no further packages you can really add to a Touring.)

I recall trying to buy a Touring in middle of 2017 and the best quotes I got were slightly more than $30k on TrueCar.

·
Registered
2 Posts
So I ended up leasing it. Its a Touring without the adv tech package ( no lane assist, Advanced cruise control) The sale price ended up being about $800 more than the Truecar quote but because I leased a 2017 I received $4800 back from Kia. Pretty amazing deal and impressive car. At the end of the lease I may buy it but again I've been waiting for the plugin and in 3 years they will have it! I hope. :)

1 - 20 of 20 Posts