Kia Niro Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I bought a new Kia Niro for the mileage. The first 9 months it averaged 50+mpg. Over the past 4 months, the mileage continues to decrease-now 38 mpg after reading a few posts and replies, (it was serviced 2 weeks ago and the service advisor was clueless on this issue). I’m wondering if it’s due to the weather since I moved from California to Ohio. If it is due to the weather, why was this information given on the car sticker? A friend here in Ohio has a Prius which maintains its advertised mpg. Help!!!

·
Registered
3,474 Posts
Your friend in Ohio is not being honest if he says he is getting same mpg summer and winter. Not enough information to tell you about your 38 mpg, but any ICE equipped car (including hybrids) can drop 30% and more between winter and summer peaks. That includes my Niro (peak 60 mpg down to 40 mpg), and every other car I've owned. But of course, in a high mpg car, the number seems larger than in cars that max out around 25 mpg and drop to 19 mpg.

·
Registered
56 Posts
Lived in Chicago all my life, and definitely get a reduction in gas mileage... Used to do long commtute (42 miles on highway / tollway) and didn't really notice as much since the long trip. I never "warmed" up car but drove very conservatively until heat turned on (usually by time I hit highway going to work).

In the later years of my Prius, my mileage did drop further in winter. Toyota also made some changes to car with updates which I was told by other users would lower mpg (to save battery).

Snow and rain definitely lowers the mileage, if you put non eco tires on, that will definitely have a negative impact to mpg.

·
Registered
890 Posts
Lived in Chicago all my life, and definitely get a reduction in gas mileage... Used to do long commtute (42 miles on highway / tollway) and didn't really notice as much since the long trip. I never "warmed" up car but drove very conservatively until heat turned on (usually by time I hit highway going to work).

In the later years of my Prius, my mileage did drop further in winter. Toyota also made some changes to car with updates which I was told by other users would lower mpg (to save battery).

Snow and rain definitely lowers the mileage, if you put non eco tires on, that will definitely have a negative impact to mpg.
Yeah I was always very adamant in telling the dealer to NOT do any updates on my Prius after I read reports of people complaining their mpg's went down after the update.

·
Registered
3 Posts
I bought a new Kia Niro for the mileage. The first 9 months it averaged 50+mpg. Over the past 4 months, the mileage continues to decrease-now 38 mpg after reading a few posts and replies, (it was serviced 2 weeks ago and the service advisor was clueless on this issue). I’m wondering if it’s due to the weather since I moved from California to Ohio. If it is due to the weather, why was this information given on the car sticker? A friend here in Ohio has a Prius which maintains its advertised mpg. Help!!!
It looks like you mean December-April for you decreased mileage. Yes, that would make sense for cold winter weather. Should be back to it's most efficient soon with warmer weather.

·
Registered
108 Posts
My '22 EV gets better mileage on a charge as it gets warmer out. For one, the battery clearly has less range in the cold. Also - remember the heat uses battery, as does the A/C - but it seems to me so far that the A/C is less of a drain on battery than the heat is.

My typical daily driving doesn't require enough range for any of this to be a problem, and I did know this going in.

·
Administrator
2022 Bolt EUV Premier
2,296 Posts
My '22 EV gets better mileage on a charge as it gets warmer out.
That's exactly what happens with an EV. While ICE vehicles lose some range in colder weather, it doesn't approach the loss of range we see in our EVs. My Bolt is EPA rated about 240 miles, which would be 192 miles at 80% charge. Through the winter my 80% range went as low as the 150s, although as of today it's back to about 178. Using the electric heater is the biggest reason for the drain, although the battery itself loses a bit of capacity in cold weather. If your EV does not have a heat pump, the heater will draw between 7-8 kW to warm the cabin. Of course, it doesn't draw that much on a constant basis. I've seen mine drop down to 1-2 kW once the interior has some warmth to it. With it completely off, the car draws 1 kW or less when not moving.

If you need A/C when it gets warm out, it doesn't impact the EV range anywhere near like the heater does. Using the A/C you won't see more than 2-3 kW for max cooling, and usually it's near the same power draw as the car "idling". That's the advantage of the heat pump, in that it uses about the same power as the A/C draw but instead is giving you heat instead of cold. Of course, if it really gets cold there's still an electric heater to help out the heat pump, which loses efficiency when the temp gets to freezing or below.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Curious question about mileage…
I’ve recently had my 2019 Niro EX hybrid in (multiple) times to try and solve a very rough “idle??” issue when it starts… waiting to see if the work done will solve anything.

Now… in terms of mileage, has anyone ever been able to watch fuel mileage drop as you’re driving in EV mode? Since mine came out of service I’ve noticed it doing that at an alarming rate… when the engine isn’t running!

This isn’t happening (just) when pulling away from a stop or driving an incline/hill… it happens when I’m in full EV for any length of time.

Any thoughts???

1 - 8 of 8 Posts