Kia Niro Forum banner

1 - 20 of 46 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
We just bought our slightly used (14k miles) Kia Niro Hybrid.
On our first fill up now and we are only averaging 31mpg?
Of course we bought for the 50mpg and were not even close.
You can see i have mainly economical miles and no aggressive at all. 90% of these miles are from driving around town at 35-55mph.
Something has to wrong?

Attachments

·
Registered
254 Posts
Since so many things effect your mpg's it would be helpful to know where your from (climate), the distance of your average trip, do you drive mostly around town or is it all highway ect.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Since so many things effect your mpg's it would be helpful to know where your from (climate), the distance of your average trip, do you drive mostly around town or is it all highway ect.
avg trip = 6miles (wife takes it to work)
I wrote it was mostly town (rural) driving
Pennsylvania

·
Registered
249 Posts
Pay no attention to the indicated MPG on the dashboard.

When you do your next fuel fillup, let us know what your actual calculated mpg is.

30mpg is really low, it should be at least 40... but if you're only basing your mpg on what the dashboard says after driving it only a couple times on short trips, then you're not getting accurate mpg info.

·
Registered
14 Posts
It would also be useful to know which model you drive.

There seems to be a difference between the way they name them between US and Can, but the L model consumes less than the EX and the EX consumes less than the SX.

I recently got an SX model and I averaged between 35 and 40 mpg so far.

Being a newbie with my Niro, I can only give suggestions. My guess is that you could always have a look at the acceleration and deceleration. When I can, I try to accelerate slowly and thus use only the EV and I try to avoid breaking fast, instead I release the gas if I see that I must stop either way. That is not always possible and in winter, when I start the car, it will never be EV only. Partly because of that, I noticed that so far, in winter, short trips (less than 5) tend to consume more than moderately long ones (20km)

·
Registered
254 Posts
avg trip = 6miles (wife takes it to work)
I wrote it was mostly town (rural) driving
Pennsylvania
That answers a lot of questions. When we lived in the Poconos and had our Prius the cold and the hills really knocked the mpg's for a loop. When it got below 50F. it's not surprising to loose 5 maybe even 10 mpgs. Since your average trip is only 6 mi. The gas engine is probably on during all of that time to make heat. So don't panic it's just the way it is when you have the cold, hills and the wind. If you get a nice weekend take it out for a trip and see what kind of mpg's you get. Even if it's cold I'll bet you be in the mid 40's mpg. Also make sure you have 0w-20 synthetic oil in it. make sure your tires are pumped up to specs and even a little more won't hurt ( I keep 40 in mine), make sure the air filter is clean and since it was used make sure somebody didn't take your good low rolling resistance tires and give you a cheap tire.

·
Super Moderator
451 Posts
From the picture, you see the snowflake symbol so it is below freezing. I gather that you likely are driving with the heater turned on. As you are going a short distance of 6miles, then the vast majority of the distance traveled is spent just getting the engine up to a running warm temperature so your fuel effeciancy will be sub par even if you don't have the heater turned on. With the heater on its just compounded.

So the obvious question is, did your gasoline car prior to the Niro Hybrid give you the posted MPG all the time? Or did it drop off over winter and not give you as good a mileage as you got over the summer? Why would you expect anything different from a hybrid?

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
It would also be useful to know which model you drive.

There seems to be a difference between the way they name them between US and Can, but the L model consumes less than the EX and the EX consumes less than the SX.

I recently got an SX model and I averaged between 35 and 40 mpg so far.

Being a newbie with my Niro, I can only give suggestions. My guess is that you could always have a look at the acceleration and deceleration. When I can, I try to accelerate slowly and thus use only the EV and I try to avoid breaking fast, instead I release the gas if I see that I must stop either way. That is not always possible and in winter, when I start the car, it will never be EV only. Partly because of that, I noticed that so far, in winter, short trips (less than 5) tend to consume more than moderately long ones (20km)
I believe its the LX? Its the next level up from bottom.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
From the picture, you see the snowflake symbol so it is below freezing. I gather that you likely are driving with the heater turned on. As you are going a short distance of 6miles, then the vast majority of the distance traveled is spent just getting the engine up to a running warm temperature so your fuel effeciancy will be sub par even if you don't have the heater turned on. With the heater on its just compounded.

So the obvious question is, did your gasoline car prior to the Niro Hybrid give you the posted MPG all the time? Or did it drop off over winter and not give you as good a mileage as you got over the summer? Why would you expect anything different from a hybrid?
Maybe so... but i am fairly certain i didnt loose 40% of the advertised MPG.
Yes the heater is running most of the time just to keep windshield clear.

·
Registered
249 Posts
if you are using remote start / scheduled climate control, that will have a huge impact on your mpg as well, in the winter.

My Niro shows extremely low MPG any time I go for a short (less than 10 mile) drive first thing in the morning. That's because it spent 10 minutes idling and consuming gas before I even started driving it, and then it runs the ICE non-stop for the entire drive to keep everything warm.

However, after a few miles, things start to settle down. Once the cabin is warm, the powertrain is warm, and the battery has a stable charge, the mpg starts to show a more reasonable number.

In the winter, so far, I've noticed that my mpg could be as low as the 10's or 20's when I don't drive very far, especially if I had pre-warmed the cabin that morning. But the further I drive, the higher my average mpg. When I do a 100 mile drive, my mpg is like 45 or 50 by the time I get to the end of the drive, even though it was only like 20mpg when I started the drive.

So in summary, your bad MPG you're getting right now is from a combination of nearly every bad scenario you could ask for; Bad weather, short drives, the car barely (if at all) getting the chance to run warm by the time you've already parked it at your destination, etc.

You'd have the same problem with ANY gasoline or hybrid car, under those circumstances. But luckily winter will be over soon, and you can start enjoying your 45-50mpg's hopefully.

·
Registered
249 Posts
Also since you mentioned this was your "first fillup" and the car was bought used, are you really sure the tank was 100% full when you started? Because the fuel meter will indicate a full tank even when it's 2-gallons low.

Just curious, what made you decide not to get the Plug-in hybrid? It seems like you're the perfect candidate for that - 90% of your driving is "around town" and under 55mph, seems like you're exactly the kind of driver the PHEV was designed for.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
if you are using remote start / scheduled climate control, that will have a huge impact on your mpg as well, in the winter.

My Niro shows extremely low MPG any time I go for a short (less than 10 mile) drive first thing in the morning. That's because it spent 10 minutes idling and consuming gas before I even started driving it, and then it runs the ICE non-stop for the entire drive to keep everything warm.

However, after a few miles, things start to settle down. Once the cabin is warm, the powertrain is warm, and the battery has a stable charge, the mpg starts to show a more reasonable number.

In the winter, so far, I've noticed that my mpg could be as low as the 10's or 20's when I don't drive very far, especially if I had pre-warmed the cabin that morning. But the further I drive, the higher my average mpg. When I do a 100 mile drive, my mpg is like 45 or 50 by the time I get to the end of the drive, even though it was only like 20mpg when I started the drive.

So in summary, your bad MPG you're getting right now is from a combination of nearly every bad scenario you could ask for; Bad weather, short drives, the car barely (if at all) getting the chance to run warm by the time you've already parked it at your destination, etc.

You'd have the same problem with ANY gasoline or hybrid car, under those circumstances. But luckily winter will be over soon, and you can start enjoying your 45-50mpg's hopefully.
Thanks...Im ready for the sun and 70's :)
Sitting at 5 degrees right now.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Also since you mentioned this was your "first fillup" and the car was bought used, are you really sure the tank was 100% full when you started? Because the fuel meter will indicate a full tank even when it's 2-gallons low.
Yes i filled it up.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Thanks...Im ready for the sun and 70's :)
Sitting at 5 degrees right now.
I guess you have the EX model (based on what it is here in Canada).

That's funny. So far, I've only had my Niro in cold weather. I considered it warm when it was 0 degrees so far and I noticed better consumption, specially compared to the freezing -23ish we have now.

Another way to see what the consumption would be in fairly warm weather is to drive a bit until the car gets warm and then try to reset the meter and drive 10 miles. It should give you an idea.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
I guess you have the EX model (based on what it is here in Canada).

That's funny. So far, I've only had my Niro in cold weather. I considered it warm when it was 0 degrees so far and I noticed better consumption, specially compared to the freezing -23ish we have now.

Another way to see what the consumption would be in fairly warm weather is to drive a bit until the car gets warm and then try to reset the meter and drive 10 miles. It should give you an idea.
I will try that..How does yours do in -20?

·
Super Moderator
451 Posts
No. you are likely losing a constant 2L per 100km in winter time. For an engine that is usually running at the 4.6L per 100km, the jump to 6.6: per 100km works out to being quite a huge loss of efficiency. Where in a much larger engine that usually is working at 11L per 100km, the move to 13L per 100km as a percentage seems to be considerably less. It is still in real burning usage the same amount of extra fuel used for every 100km of distance travelled. That is the problem with MPG as it bases economy on how much distance you get from a fixed amount of fuel, rather than how much fuel does it take to go fixed amount of distance.

When the engine block is cold, it initially has to burn more fuel to heat up the engine block to get it to a temperature that the engine will run at peak efficiency. Gas contains a certain amount of thermic units of energy, so you are burning a certain volume amount of gasoline to raise the engine from very cold to running temp. So your fuel usage on a very efficient engine seems like a much larger hit than on a not so efficient engine. In reality is it the exact same amount of extra fuel being burnt.

If you were driving a much longer distance each trip, then the average fuel economy would be much higher as you are only heating the engine up once, and then allowing it to operate at it's peek efficiency for a longer time so travelling a greater distance with a warm engine. If you were travelling a much shorter distance each trip, say for example, only 3miles, then I would bet you would be screaming mad as you would likely be getting a 60-75% loss over the advertised MPG as it would take the whole 3mile trip just to get the engine even close to efficient operating temperature. That is not the fault of the car, more you are asking it to work outside of design parameters.

1 - 20 of 46 Posts