Kia Niro Forum banner

41 - 47 of 47 Posts

·
Registered
192 Posts
True, but you would want to minimize it if possible, also don't know the characteristics of the on-board inverter for large surge currents. Just thinking out loud here.

Greg

·
Registered
15 Posts
I'm sure it's current limited at it's maximum rating. If the current draw from the battery is higher than what the DC to DC converter can deliver it would just discharge the battery to fill the difference. It would be poor design if it were done otherwise and could have problems if the Niro were used for other high current actions such as to jump start another car, for example.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Could be interesting, although it requires custom modification to the car so each model would require a different kit. So far it looks like they only support Toyota/Lexus. I don't think this concept will take off until it is supported by the car manufactures and is accessible via the car's charge port of a separate external connector of some kind.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Did you end up connecting your inverter to the nuts on the battery posts? I was able to connect a 2000w inverter running a 700w fridge but the 12v battery drained quickly and the inverter shutoff after a few minutes. I had the car in utility mode but am wondering if I hooked it up wrong. I would like to use the inverter for camping.

·
Super Moderator
2019 Niro PHEV EX Premium
1,557 Posts
Did you end up connecting your inverter to the nuts on the battery posts? I was able to connect a 2000w inverter running a 700w fridge but the 12v battery drained quickly and the inverter shutoff after a few minutes. I had the car in utility mode but am wondering if I hooked it up wrong. I would like to use the inverter for camping.
The car has to be "running" for the DC-DC converter to maintain the 12v battery. Since you have a 12v battery, I'm assuming it's a PHEV. That battery is very small, and has little capacity of its own. It's really there simply to power the basic circuits of the car, while the traction battery keeps everything going. It's simply not capable of supporting a long term drain with an inverter connected. The car has to be on to keep the battery charged. Also, the DC-DC converter in the car is only rated for about 1900 watts. And that rating likely isn't continuous, so it can't keep a 2kW inverter running at load.

·
Registered
15 Posts
That's correct. With the car on (in park) it should have no problem running a 700 watt fridge. I ran my fridge for an hour and a 1700 watt tea kettle (not at the same time) for a few minutes with no problems.

41 - 47 of 47 Posts