Kia Niro Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
hi sorry about the bad english.
. in my father car (kia niro 2018) there is a problem (p0147) . he went to mechanic and he said the egr valve is full of soot
and put a clean stuff . the car worked for two hours whit the stuff and the issue gone. but after two months is back.
the mechanic said the same thing and put more stuff ,and said that if it did not help we need to replace the egr.. what we can do for fix this problem?

·
Registered
562 Posts
Do you buy your gas at the same place all the time? I would try cleaning the egr again and try buying your gas at a different place.

·
Registered
2020 Niro HEV EX+
84 Posts
hi sorry about the bad english.
. in my father car (kia niro 2018) there is a problem (p0147) . he went to mechanic and he said the egr valve is full of soot
and put a clean stuff . the car worked for two hours whit the stuff and the issue gone. but after two months is back.
the mechanic said the same thing and put more stuff ,and said that if it did not help we need to replace the egr.. what we can do for fix this problem?
That particular code points to an oxygen sensor problem.
I suggest taking it to Kia dealer because that should be covered by warranty.

·
Registered
562 Posts
Also if memory serves emmisions warranty, depending on your state, goes by the Ca. emmisions warranty which is even longer. Some states fall under the Ca. warranty and some don't. I forget the reasining and why some states it applies to and why some states don't.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Hi. Because the 130k the car drove. There is not warranty. Any ideas? If the oxygen sensor had been going bad. Was there no other code?

·
Registered
2020 Niro HEV EX+
84 Posts
Hi. Because the 130k the car drove. There is not warranty. Any ideas? If the oxygen sensor had been going bad. Was there no other code?
That code you gave points to an oxygen sensor problem
I still recommend at least checking with Kia dealer because emission control sometimes has extended warranty timelines.
Otherwise, take it to a different repair shop because the presence of soot on the EGR suggests a faulty oxygen sensor.
Is there lots of soot in the tailpipe as well? Poor gas mileage? If so, they all point to a rich fuel mixture and probable sensor issue.

·
Registered
847 Posts
Anybody know how can i remove it? (The egr) to clean?
I agree wtih @Techy and others that you need to make sure the EGR is the problem before you continue down this road. The fact that you had it cleaned and the problem came back is a sign that the true cause is somewhere else. If the error code points to the oxygen sensor that's probably the place to start looking. If you focus on the symptom and not the cause you'll end up spending a lot of time and money and never actually solve the real problem.

If your mechanic can't figure it out you may have to take it a Kia dealer for diagnosis. Yeah, it's more expensive but if the local guy can't fix it you might still save money in the long run by getting it right quickly.

·
Registered
2020 Niro HEV EX+
84 Posts
I verry sorry about the code that's i was wrote.
The right code is p0471.
That really messes up the situation.
That is a generic code and refers to exhaust backpressure - most common a sensor on some diesel engines. Not sure if the Niro has a backpressure sensor...must have to generate that code
Is there an OEM catalytic convertor on the car?
I think you are going to have to take the car to Kia or get a diagnosis from another repair shop.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
That really messes up the situation.
That is a generic code and refers to exhaust backpressure - most common a sensor on some diesel engines. Not sure if the Niro has a backpressure sensor...must have to generate that code
Is there an OEM catalytic convertor on the car?
I think you are going to have to take the car to Kia or get a diagnosis from another repair shop.
There is a sensor. It located on top in bracket and one pipe connect. After the mechanic clean the system the code gone but return after month +.
He said the fuel is bad and we must use fuel additives. Is a certified Kia mechanic.
Is it better to go after mechanic?yes the catalyst is oem.

·
Registered
2020 Niro HEV EX+
84 Posts
There is a sensor. It located on top in bracket and one pipe connect. After the mechanic clean the system the code gone but return after month +.
He said the fuel is bad and we must use fuel additives. Is a certified Kia mechanic.
OK, go with the Kia mechanic's recommendation.
I assume he has checked the sensor using proper diagnosis?
Make sure you use good quality gas and put some fuel cleaner in the gas tank with next couple tank refills.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
The car was lees power. But after the clean is the feel great.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts