Kia Niro Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
2018 Kia NiroTouring & 2020 Kia Niro EX-Premium
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
07/18: Rear left door handle broke and was replace
11/19: Check Engine Light was on with code P0450 The cause was due to corrosion on the electrical contacts which I was told was common in winter climates. The contacts were cleaned and pack with dielectric grease.
05/20: Front right door handle broke and the decision was made to replace all door handles but the front left door
06/20: Noise was heard that sounded like a bad wheel bearing and fuel economy tanked. New axle bearing was needed but due to COVID they are unsure when the part will be in. It is still safe to drive so no rental car until it become not safe.
I still like the Niro and plan on purchasing a 2020 Niro EX-premium this week.

·
Registered
2,684 Posts
Those are all issues that others have reported, unfortunately. Bad design on the first two issues, but wheel bearing issues being reported is downright bizarre. That is quality control I suspect.

·
Registered
2018 Kia NiroTouring & 2020 Kia Niro EX-Premium
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Door handle iusse is the most annoying problem of all. I carry an extra door handle cap and tools just in case The dealer that service my Niro check the door handles torque during PDI and replace if needed. They say that take care of 90% of the problem.

·
Registered
2,684 Posts
That is probably true. The initial door handle issue apparently came from over torquing at the factory.

·
Registered
2019 Kia Niro Hybrid LX
56 Posts
11/19: Check Engine Light was on with code P0450 The cause was due to corrosion on the electrical contacts which I was told was common in winter climates. The contacts were cleaned and pack with dielectric grease.
05/20: Front right door handle broke and the decision was made to replace all door handles but the front left door
06/20: Noise was heard that sounded like a bad wheel bearing and fuel economy tanked. New axle bearing was needed but due to COVID they are unsure when the part will be in. It is still safe to drive so no rental car until it become not safe.
I still like the Niro and plan on purchasing a 2020 Niro EX-premium this week.
I believe the first year the Niro came out was 2017. This is why I never buy the first two years of a new model because most of the time they have problems. I wait at least the third year because by then they have fixed all issues. Mines is the 2019 and after 10k miles it still drives great.

·
Registered
2,684 Posts
And the 2019 and 2020 models have their own issues. Frankly, your philosophy would be best served by only buying two year old used models whose owners have resolved their model year issues. And you would not be paying the premium for driving a new car off the dealer lot.

·
Registered
127 Posts
do you live in north pole :) sounds rough for a 3 year old car.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts