Kia Niro Forum banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've driven hundreds of American, European, and Japanese cars for decades, including five Toyota hybrids. So far, this is worst driving car I've owned or driven for any sustained period.

Last October I bought a new 2020 Niro EV and experienced drive-ability problems almost immediately. The problem is pulsing that occurs several times per second in any of the three brake regeneration modes or with no regeneration at all. The pulsing occurs only when the car is in motion and force is transmitted from the accelerator pedal to my right leg that visibly rises and falls about 2/3 inch with each pulse. The pulsing occurs at low and highway speeds up to about 65mph and with the air conditioner off or on. The pulsing occurs on smooth or slightly bumpy roads. My wife suffers from moderate motion sickness and refuses to drive the car or ride in it as a passenger. During her only ride as a passenger, my wife became nauseous after ten miles.

About half the time, when I drive the Niro EV there is no pulsing at all. I brought the car to my dealer with a complaint of "jerky ride," about a month after I took delivery. The service manager and a service employee took the car for a spin on the same morning as I brought the car in. The service employee reported the car was operating normally. I've not taken the car back to my dealer since on account of COVID. I've begun a driver's log, including the ambient temperature, date/time, and duration.

I would like to hear from other Niro EV owners who have had the same problem and hopefully, a solution.

Steve G.

·
Registered
10 Posts
I've driven hundreds of American, European, and Japanese cars for decades, including five Toyota hybrids. So far, this is worst driving car I've owned or driven for any sustained period.

Last October I bought a new 2020 Niro EV and experienced drive-ability problems almost immediately. The problem is pulsing that occurs several times per second in any of the three brake regeneration modes or with no regeneration at all. The pulsing occurs only when the car is in motion and force is transmitted from the accelerator pedal to my right leg that visibly rises and falls about 2/3 inch with each pulse. The pulsing occurs at low and highway speeds up to about 65mph and with the air conditioner off or on. The pulsing occurs on smooth or slightly bumpy roads. My wife suffers from moderate motion sickness and refuses to drive the car or ride in it as a passenger. During her only ride as a passenger, my wife became nauseous after ten miles.

About half the time, when I drive the Niro EV there is no pulsing at all. I brought the car to my dealer with a complaint of "jerky ride," about a month after I took delivery. The service manager and a service employee took the car for a spin on the same morning as I brought the car in. The service employee reported the car was operating normally. I've not taken the car back to my dealer since on account of COVID. I've begun a driver's log, including the ambient temperature, date/time, and duration.

I would like to hear from other Niro EV owners who have had the same problem and hopefully, a solution.

Steve G.
Are you feeling a physical kickback in the accelerator pedal? I don't quite understand the issue you're having. My Niro EV has been smooth in this regard; no pulsation or kickback from the throttle or brake pedals. The response from the dealership is typical. Perhaps drive another new Niro to compare?

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks for the feedback. Yes, the pulsing is physical feedback from the accelerator pedal. I weigh 205 lb, so it takes substantial force to move my leg upward when the accelerator pedal is pulsing.

Regards,

Steve

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Good suggestion. The pulsing happens in normal and eco modes. I haven't driven in sport mode.

Thanks,

Steve

·
Registered
2 Posts
I’m not a mechanic, and I own a 2019 PHEV. Mine does not do this.

You mentioned pulsing and jerking, but you haven’t really described the jerking. Mine jerks some times when the lane keeping assist is on as I drive through stoplight intersections at >40MPH. I suspect this has something to do with the lane detection being confused by the striping for the turn lane and/or the crosswalk striping.

Since the pulsing doesn’t happen consistently, I think that probably rules out a warped rotor. I have two suggestions on the pulsing:

1. While driving with Adaptive Cruise Control does the braking still pulse when the car is braking for itself? This information might help your dealer narrow down the problem to specific components.
2. When you brake extremely hard (like as in an emergency), do you feel the same pulsing? The anti-lock braking may be the source of the pulsing. If so, you should describe this to the dealer to give them a frame of reference. ABS should not activate under normal braking on dry surfaces.

·
Registered
2020 Niro HEV EX+
80 Posts
Thanks for the feedback. Yes, the pulsing is physical feedback from the accelerator pedal. I weigh 205 lb, so it takes substantial force to move my leg upward when the accelerator pedal is pulsing.

Regards,

Steve
I am a retired mechanic and I don't understand how the accelerator pedal can "kick back" at you.
Accelerator pedals are now "drive by wire" meaning there is no physical connection to any part of the motor.
There is absolutely nothing than can kick back at you except the return spring and that is not a pulsating sort of thing.

·
Registered
186 Posts
The only time I have seen this is the additional force on the gas pedal when cruise control is engaged, but I'm not sure I have seen this on the Niro.

·
Registered
2 Posts
The anti-lock braking may be the source of the pulsing.
Just realized he said the pulsing came from the ACCELERATOR, not the brake pedal. Sorry I misread that - probably because such a thing is inconceivable given how I understand the car’s components.

·
Registered
2020 Niro HEV EX+
80 Posts
The only time I have seen this is the additional force on the gas pedal when cruise control is engaged, but I'm not sure I have seen this on the Niro.
That might have happened on cars many years ago since there was a physical cable connecting the accelerator pedal to the throttle valve but it would only feel like the pedal is moving down and away from the foot - it would never push back against the foot.
With drive by wire, there is no physical connection and therefore, never any feedback to the foot on the accelerator pedal.

·
Registered
2020 Niro HEV EX+
80 Posts
Understood... this situation is very strange... is there any cable or lever attached to the gas pedal? Seems hard to believe.
The only pedal that can kick back is the brake pedal and even that is highly unlikely with the technology of today's ABS systems.
I remember when ABS was introduced in the 80's and some of those early cars would rattle and shake and it felt like the car was going to fall apart:(

·
Registered
65 Posts

Steve G.
If you purchased the car new, why not take it to the dealer for a check? I have not experienced any similar issue with the 2019 EV.

·
Registered
7 Posts

Steve G.
I got behind the wheel of my (new, leftover 2019) EV ex premium a month before yours. I have a little over 5,000 miles on the ODOMETER.

I experienced much of what you describe at higher regen levels. The car is set up to scavenge as much "coasting energy" as possible. When my wife drove the car for the first time (me as a passenger) I was immediately carsick from the lurching you describe.

There's definitely a "feel" required to modulate the GO pedal, particularly if your last ride would coast to a stop sign. It's more pronounced if you have cruise control engaged at highway speeds, and have more regen selected.

I now use ECO mode, lowest regen level.

May I suggest you verify the following before your next drive :

Select

·
Registered
7 Posts
I got behind the wheel of my (new, leftover 2019) EV ex premium a month before yours. I have a little over 5,000 miles on the ODOMETER.

I experienced much of what you describe at higher regen levels. The car is set up to scavenge as much "coasting energy" as possible. When my wife drove the car for the first time (me as a passenger) I was immediately carsick from the lurching you describe.

There's definitely a "feel" required to modulate the GO pedal, particularly if your last ride would coast to a stop sign. It's more pronounced if you have cruise control engaged at highway speeds, and have more regen selected.

I now use ECO mode, lowest regen level.

May I suggest you verify the following before your next drive :

Select
Should read I now use Normal mode, lowest regen level.

May I suggest on your next outing that you turn off regen entirely (right hand paddle until there are no arrows in the regen indicator) which will require you apply the brakes.

I recommend Normal mode as ECO curtains acceleration and it goes like a scalded cat with a wicked torque steer in SPORT.

There's no coasting in this design, on flat ground.

I'm enthusiastic about this car and I've owned (and, unfortunately) maintained premium cars like the Audi A8.

These are the World's fastest toaster.

·
Registered
14 Posts
I have the same car. Never had that experience. As of now my odometer is around 4,800 miles. I did notice if I quickly let off the accelerator pedal the regenerative braking is strong and I would feel the sudden braking. I over came this by looking farther down the road. Allowing more time and distance to bring the Niro to a full stop. Practice single pedal driving.

·
Registered
8 Posts

Steve G.
This may be a dumb question but are you in any of the regenerative braking modes 1, 2 or 3? I did not read my manual and accidently pulled on the left steering pedal and it Clicked it in and freaked me out. :)

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Thanks for all the feedback. Today I drove the 2020 Niro EV for about 18 miles in little to no traffic at low speed up to 65mph. The weather was clear and ambient temperature was 70 degrees. I drove in "normal mode" with all three levels of regeneration and with no regeneration as well. There was visible pulsing coming from the accelerator pedal, pushing my foot up, several times a second that made the ride uncomfortable. After a five minute stop, I drove another 12 miles and noticed no pulsing, visual or otherwise.

Maybe the culprit is an unbalanced or out-of-round tire or suspension problem.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts