Kia Niro Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi. I have a 2019 Kia Niro PHEV. My wife and I do a lot of camping so I want to get some cross bars for a cargo box. I've started to research and it seems like there are a lot of options and a wide variety of prices. We are looking for something at a reasonable price, but willing to pay more for cross bars that are quiet and mileage efficient. I bought some generic budget cross bars for our Honda Fit and when we drive at any speed above 35 MPH, it sounds like we are in a small prop plane because the bars are cheap and vibrate so much. Has anyone had any experience with the Kia Niro OEM cross bars (G5F21-AC000)? I'm also looking at the Rhino Roof Rack Aero Vortex SX roor rack system which seems like it is really well built and good quality. Any thoughts or advice on this? Thank you.

·
Registered
3,170 Posts
Yes, aero cross bars will help with noise. I don't think very much noise originates with bar vibration, most is due to wind turbulence behind bars directly in the wind. Turbulence equals drag, so aero racks will also be more efficient.

A cargo box on your roof will create a huge drop in mpg, probably well above 30% at speeds above 40 mph. And the rack mounted full time on your roof will be around a 10% hit all the time when not using the cargo box. If practical for you, a cargo box mounted in the rear will have little impact comparatively, and may even improve mpg (longer cars have better aerodynamics). This is usually done by adding a hitch first. Yes, they are rare compared to roof racks, and will impede access to your hatch. But they look cool.

·
Registered
116 Posts
Hi. I have a 2019 Kia Niro PHEV. My wife and I do a lot of camping so I want to get some cross bars for a cargo box. I've started to research and it seems like there are a lot of options and a wide variety of prices. We are looking for something at a reasonable price, but willing to pay more for cross bars that are quiet and mileage efficient. I bought some generic budget cross bars for our Honda Fit and when we drive at any speed above 35 MPH, it sounds like we are in a small prop plane because the bars are cheap and vibrate so much. Has anyone had any experience with the Kia Niro OEM cross bars (G5F21-AC000)? I'm also looking at the Rhino Roof Rack Aero Vortex SX roor rack system which seems like it is really well built and good quality. Any thoughts or advice on this? Thank you.
I got these for my 2018 Niro PHEV. Very satisfied with them.
Genuine OEM Roof Rack Cross Bars Part# G5F21-AC000 Fits 2017-2020 Kia: Up To 35% Off On Every Order And Guaranteed Fit When You Enter Your VIN | My Kia Parts

1 - 4 of 4 Posts