Kia Niro Forum banner
41 - 44 of 44 Posts

· Registered
2020 Niro HEV EX+
1,217 Posts
Another quick note to this thread- one of the post could confuse individuals that the NIRO EV or PHEV use an OEM AGM battery. Unless KIA changed this year NIRO EV and PHEV are using Closed Maintenance Free Lead Acid batteries.

Replacement AGM batteries will work if an induvial wants to go that way
I was reading through the owners manual for the 2023 Niro and it mentions "maintenance free, calcium-based". Certainly sounds similar to lead acid to me and certainly not AGM

· Registered
2019 White PHEV EX Prem, Mich Premier AS tires, LED BU lights, window visors 2022 Subaru OB Touring
639 Posts
I've been spending some time on the Ford Escape site and noticed that Ford HEVs have a very similar problem with their OEM 12v batteries dying in 2-3 years. I wonder if it just cheap OEM batteries or an unintended "design feature" of HEVs & PHEVs???

· Registered
2020 Niro HEV EX+
1,217 Posts
I've been spending some time on the Ford Escape site and noticed that Ford HEVs have a very similar problem with their OEM 12v batteries dying in 2-3 years. I wonder if it just cheap OEM batteries or an unintended "design feature" of HEVs & PHEVs???
I would go with the unintended "design feature" of PHEV/EV
The Niro HEV's are fine because they have a lithium 12V battery and the PHEV/EV would be fine as well if they had a 12V lithium but that is not currently gonna happen - cost!!

41 - 44 of 44 Posts