Kia Niro Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
331 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Would it be at all possible to rewire the fog lights to be on anytime the headlights are on? I have always thought it's stupid they go off on high beam. I could really use that extra light on the road. Upgraded my headlights to LED on my 2017 EX. Going to upgrade the fogs next.

·
Registered
479 Posts
I remember reading in my Sedona owners manual to only use the fog lights when necessary since they are a heavy electrical drain item. Not sure if it applies to the Niro or all cars in general?

·
Registered
2,842 Posts
Similar warning in the Niro manual. Defeats the primary purpose of fog lights if the mains are on at the same time reducing visibility. In fog.

·
Registered
2020 KIA Niro EX Premium "NON-PHEV - Saved $10K and the extension cord for the Christmas lights."
20 Posts
I've always thought to myself the fog lights are laser beams shooting at errant, lane crossing traffic.
In my Prius I was able to turn them on regardless of DRL or headlight activation.
With the Niro, they only come on when the headlights are on, never noticed that they cut off on high beams.

Oh well, glad to have laser chevrons burning into lane crossing traffic.
Maybe I'll rewire the Niro fog lights into the DRL harness.
o_O

·
Registered
331 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Not too worried about power drain since I'm switching them all to LEDs. I have rewired other cars but nothing as complicated as the Niro's wiring.

·
Super Moderator
1,121 Posts
With the Niro, they only come on when the headlights are on, never noticed that they cut off on high beams.
Almost all cars will turn fog lamps off when high beams are selected. It's in no way Kia specific.

In genuine fog conditions, you never want the high beams on in the first place, as you just get more reflected light back into your eyes. When there's no fog, I do like the way the fogs will light up the roadway closer to the car when the highs are on, but it's in no way a deal breaker. It might even be a legal requirement to turn them off on high beam, but that's just a guess on my part.

·
Registered
13 Posts
I agree that it would be pretty nice to be able to wire the fogs to turn on when you want. In my old car I had them set up to be able to turn on with the parking lights. While this wasn't for driving down the highway or anything, I think if you are just moving around a parking lot or something it would look really cool with the eyebrow leds in the headlights and the fog lights on only without the headlights on.

Would be interesting to see a write up on how the re-wire may be possible. Keep us posted!

1 - 8 of 8 Posts