Kia Niro Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I am due for a tire rotation. Can the tires be rotated without having to reset the sensors? I heard that a shop should not rotate the tires unless it was equipped with a certain machine to reset the sensors. If the sensors are not reset, it would screw up the reading of the air pressure that is in the tires that comes up on the car's computer. Any truth to this? I am thinking not. Thanks.

·
Registered
2,888 Posts
Can't imagine why. Haven't seen a reference to resetting sensors in the manual.

·
Registered
84 Posts
I don't see what the TPMS would have to do with a tire rotation. They will have to ensure the correct tire pressure, but I don't know why they would have to reset the sensors.

·
Registered
336 Posts
I don't know this yet because I haven't driven my new Niro, but does the Niro detect and display the pressure in each tire or is there just a low tire warning? All my GM vehicles display the pressure in each individual tire and in that case the TPMS has to be reset when rotating tires.

·
Registered
26 Posts
I don't know this yet because I haven't driven my new Niro, but does the Niro detect and display the pressure in each tire or is there just a low tire warning? All my GM vehicles display the pressure in each individual tire and in that case the TPMS has to be reset when rotating tires.
Yes, it displays the pressure for all 4 tires

·
Registered
173 Posts
I've rotated my own tires a couple of times already.....no issues....
So, it automatically remaps the sensors?
If you put LF wheel on LR, & vice versa, the display actually moves the previous LF sensor to display in the LR position of the car icon on the display & vice versa? With no assist from anyone???
If true, I wonder how it knows a swap occurred.....

·
Registered
2,888 Posts
It doesn't know a swap has occurred. It is merely picking up the signal from the wheels. There is one sensor per wheel. That's how it knows the locationl

·
Registered
198 Posts
If something does go wrong with the sensors after a tire rotation, you could always ask a dealership to reset the computer and it shouldn't cost too much.

·
Registered
221 Posts
So, it automatically remaps the sensors?
If you put LF wheel on LR, & vice versa, the display actually moves the previous LF sensor to display in the LR position of the car icon on the display & vice versa? With no assist from anyone???
If true, I wonder how it knows a swap occurred.....
The sensors are not in the tires! The tires are the only thing that gets swapped. The rest of the wheel hardware doesn’t move anywhere, and that’s where the sensor is.

·
Registered
35 Posts
Transmitter TPMS in the Rim, Receiver TPMS near or in the Hub, very short range in Inches.................................

·
Registered
173 Posts
The sensors are not in the tires! The tires are the only thing that gets swapped. The rest of the wheel hardware doesn’t move anywhere, and that’s where the sensor is.
This is starting to get a little bogus..... How do you measure PSI in a specific tire unless the sensor is located inside the tire/wheel assy???? Every other car I know of has 4 sensors, each with a unique ID located in the tire/wheel assy that is mapped to the display to provide correct PSI & location. When you rotate the tire/wheel assy, you have to remap all the sensors. Otherwise you do not display the proper tire position on the dash display.
So, how does the KIA system really work.....

·
Registered
35 Posts
This is starting to get a little bogus..... How do you measure PSI in a specific tire unless the sensor is located inside the tire/wheel assy???? Every other car I know of has 4 sensors, each with a unique ID located in the tire/wheel assy that is mapped to the display to provide correct PSI & location. When you rotate the tire/wheel assy, you have to remap all the sensors. Otherwise you do not display the proper tire position on the dash display.
So, how does the KIA system really work.....
There has to be a Pickup/ Receiver sensor close if not on the Hub for each Tire along with the Transmitter in the tire rim. That's the only thing that make sense. Remapping every time you rotate tires does not make sense except for Tire sensor replacement. The owners Manual does not mention remapping everytime you rotate tires, maybe I just didn't see it in the owners manual. Like to get a hold of a WDM, that would show it for sure...................

·
Registered
74 Posts
I copied this from the following URL: Kia Niro : TPMS Sensor Description and operation : Tire Pressure Monitoring System

TPMS Automatic Location Learning

The wheel angular velocity of each wheel is different from each other in the following cases:

1)
Different slip occurs for each axis.

2)
Rotation radius (the radius of curve) is different by wheel.

3)
Tire wear, internal pressure, tire specifications, etc. are different by tire.

TPMS sensor is transmitted to RF signal at only specific phase (the angle of the tire) in the learning mode.

TPMS receiver checks each tire phase (tire angle) information on receiving RF signals from the sensor.

Every time RF signals from sensor IDs 1, 2, 3, and 4 are received, the ID with the highest correlation among the phase of each collected wheel is transmitted. (In other words, each time RF signal is received, the phase of the tire is transmitted to the most constant wheel.)

TPMS sensor transmits the RF signal at intervals of 16 seconds in the learning mode.

After stopping or parking for more than 19 minutes, automatic learning function in every driving position is performed.

The sensor is converted to Parking Mode when stopped or parked for more than 15 minutes. When acceleration of over 4g (15-20km/h) is detected in Parking Mode, it is converted to First Block Mode.

·
Registered
74 Posts
Let me know if I'm not properly interpreting the information I previously provided from KIA DE. I believe that since ID's are already known because a new sensor wasn't added, just the position of the wheels, it is just looking for the position of each known sensor whenever the vehicle is stopped for 19 minutes. All bets are off if a new sensor is added.

·
Registered
2,888 Posts
The gist I got was there is a central receiver and it distinguishes which wheel is which with trigonometry. I had thought from another forum there was a receiver for each wheel (damage to a receiver wire required service).

·
Registered
173 Posts
I copied this from the following URL: Kia Niro : TPMS Sensor Description and operation : Tire Pressure Monitoring System

TPMS Automatic Location Learning

After stopping or parking for more than 19 minutes, automatic learning function in every driving position is performed.

The sensor is converted to Parking Mode when stopped or parked for more than 15 minutes. When acceleration of over 4g (15-20km/h) is detected in Parking Mode, it is converted to First Block Mode.
Automatic remapping every time you park, OK I like that. That sounds like a good idea!

1 - 19 of 19 Posts