Kia Niro Forum banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
180 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am looking to buy a Niro and came across a YouTube video of a guy that obviously looks down on vehicles like the Niro. He kept saying that it’s not an SUV but Kia calls it that. I don’t know why he wasted his time reviewing the Niro if he hated it that much.

But he did say something interesting. He showed the sticker for the Niro and one from a “real” SUV. The Niro has “station wagon” in the description where as the other one has “SUV”. He said that description might affect the insurance since SUVs usually cost more to insure and to make sure you’re being charged accordingly.

Has anyone run across this when getting insurance for your Niro?

·
Registered
479 Posts
I'm in Florida and my Niro has "station wagon" on the registration also. More importantly I was SHOCKED when I moved the insurance from my 12 Prius to my new 18 Niro my insurance went DOWN $70. I couldn't believe it.

·
Registered
180 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Currently, I have a 2006 Honda Accord and a 2013 Mazda CX-5. Recentl, I noticed that I’m paying more for the Honda than the Mazda. I am guessing it’s because the Mazda has more safety features. Hopefully the Niro will be less than the Mazda!

·
Registered
144 Posts
Currently, I have a 2006 Honda Accord and a 2013 Mazda CX-5. Recentl, I noticed that I’m paying more for the Honda than the Mazda. I am guessing it’s because the Mazda has more safety features. Hopefully the Niro will be less than the Mazda!
And more stringent crash test standards. The standards creep up every couple years. Insurance cost is mostly about injury/death not the value of the car. Most people think it's the value of the car, price of repair, etc. Certainly that's a nice chunk of it, but the risk of death/injury is a major piece due to the magnitude of the claims.

And if you want to see some serious crash test awesomeness just watch the Niro tests then go back and watch a car from 20 years ago. Night.and.day. In addition to the new safety features (emergency braking, etc) there is copious amounts of high strength steel on new vehicles such as the Niro.

Enjoy.

Niro:

A greatest hits collection of bad crash tests:

·
Registered
180 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
And more stringent crash test standards. The standards creep up every couple years. Insurance cost is mostly about injury/death not the value of the car. Most people think it's the value of the car, price of repair, etc. Certainly that's a nice chunk of it, but the risk of death/injury is a major piece due to the magnitude of the claims.

And if you want to see some serious crash test awesomeness just watch the Niro tests then go back and watch a car from 20 years ago. Night.and.day. In addition to the new safety features (emergency braking, etc) there is copious amounts of high strength steel on new vehicles such as the Niro.

Enjoy.

Niro:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FIT8QXQKM30

A greatest hits collection of bad crash tests:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GtHnDKegUJw
Good point.

Those crashes were brutal. Scarily, I’ve owned 3 of those vehicles in the bad crash video. :eek:

- Oldsmobile Silhouette (Pontiac Transport)
- GMC Sonoma (Chevy S-10)
- Isuzu Rodeo

I wonder when they’re going to start making frontal airbags for the backseat passengers. Those poor dummies all suffered whiplash.

·
Registered
336 Posts
I insure a 2001 Corvette, 1996 Chevy Truck and a 2008 Chevy HHR. Full coverage $100/$250 ductable and it was costing me $910/year. When I added the 2017 Niro it went up $520 and that was with a 3 month lay-over in the winter.

·
Registered
53 Posts
I haven’t purchased a Niro yet. Any day though. Still trying to get a good deal.
Called my insurance company and priced a 2018 PHEV EX Premium.
Said it would raise insurance 29.00 a month.
You have to take into account that my truck which is currently my daily driver mileage was reduced from 15,000 a year to 1000 miles a year. Still full coverage.
I’ll only drive it if we need to haul something.

·
Registered
144 Posts
1. I don't think airbags help with whiplash. Head restraints do.
2. Wow...you must have had some kind of death wish. No Suzuki Samurai in that mix? I suppose the Isuzu is bad enough for rollovers so fills in for the Samurai.
3. If I remember the Pontiac Transport story correctly, it was on a 60 minutes episode and the 60 minutes guy owned one and went immediately the next day after filming the story to trade his off. My sister in law did something similar. That thing absolutely collapsed in testing.

·
Registered
180 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
2. Wow...you must have had some kind of death wish. No Suzuki Samurai in that mix? I suppose the Isuzu is bad enough for rollovers so fills in for the Samurai.
3. If I remember the Pontiac Transport story correctly, it was on a 60 minutes episode and the 60 minutes guy owned one and went immediately the next day after filming the story to trade his off. My sister in law did something similar. That thing absolutely collapsed in testing.
I just see those rear passenger dummies lurch forward and then are stopped by the seatbelts and flung back with their heads being violently snapped back and forth. Maybe the airbags would reduce the forward momentum a bit. But maybe it looks worse than it is.

In the ‘90s and 2000s, I worked for EDS and I received employee discounts on GM cars, hence the GMC and Olds (and a Saturn). And the van I got a bigger discount on because they were shuttering the Olds brand altogether. I was not aware of the horrible crash test results. I loved that van! I guess ignorance really is bliss! And technically, the pickup and van and the Isuzu were my wife’s vehicles. :O

·
Registered
2,874 Posts
But he did say something interesting. He showed the sticker for the Niro and one from a “real” SUV. The Niro has “station wagon” in the description where as the other one has “SUV”. He said that description might affect the insurance since SUVs usually cost more to insure and to make sure you’re being charged accordingly.
It is a small station wagon or hatchback. Anyone who believes differently has drunk the marketing Koolaid!

·
Registered
2,874 Posts
Watch the videos. Airbags stop the head from advancing past the steering wheel limiting the head's travel and the amount of potential whiplash. They also stop your head from snapping down against your chest, again limiting travel and the potential for major excursion of the head forward and backward. Yup, head restraints are a vital part of this. Perhaps the whole story for a hit from the rear.

·
Registered
452 Posts
It is a small station wagon or hatchback. Anyone who believes differently has drunk the marketing Koolaid!
The SUV characteristic I was looking for was ease of entry / exit. On that characteristic the Niro delivers. It's higher (seat and roof-line) than a sedan but not as high as a small SUV.

You can call it what you like.

I went to an auto show and measured the height of the door openings (in inches).

Niro 55

small SUV

Tucson 58
Escape 58
Rouge 58
HRV 57

sedan

Elantra 52
Ioniq 51
Accent 51 (previous car)
Fiesta 52

·
Registered
221 Posts
My insurance went up $23 for 6 months versus my 2007 Civic. I presumed it was because of the safety tech that it did not increase much but just a guess.

·
Registered
2,874 Posts
The SUV characteristic I was looking for was ease of entry / exit. On that characteristic the Niro delivers. It's higher (seat and roof-line) than a sedan but not as high as a small SUV.

You can call it what you like.

I went to an auto show and measured the height of the door openings (in inches).

Niro 55

small SUV

Tucson 58
Escape 58
Rouge 58
HRV 57

sedan

Elantra 52
Ioniq 51
Accent 51 (previous car)
Fiesta 52
Door height you measured appears to be the exact relative height of all those car's roof. PT Cruiser has a roof height of 63 versus Niro's 60, but no one calls the PT Cruiser an SUV (of course ground clearance is an inch less or more than the Niro). The Toyota Echo is on of those odd narrow tall cars, height is very similar to the Niro at 59 inches, probably identical ground clearance, and virtually identical seat height to the Niro (have an obese poor friend who likes the Echo for this reason alone). Not an SUV. Seat height in the PT is virtually identical to the Niro as well, but better headroom.

·
Registered
249 Posts
Niro is definitely not an SUV. I was telling a buddy earlier that it's something between a wagon and a crossover. I would expect insurance companies to probably treat it as a wagon. I think besides the crossover-esque body design, it's basically a wagon. A very roomy one, though! I'll have to check out my insurance (AAA) and see what they called it.

·
Registered
479 Posts
I always thought the Niro was marketed by Kia as a Crossover? Whatever that is LOL. To me it's a small station wagon.

·
Registered
452 Posts
Niro is definitely not an SUV. I was telling a buddy earlier that it's something between a wagon and a crossover. I would expect insurance companies to probably treat it as a wagon. I think besides the crossover-esque body design, it's basically a wagon. A very roomy one, though! I'll have to check out my insurance (AAA) and see what they called it.
Well .... the only true SUV is a Chevy suburban. Truck like; ladder frame, seating height, 4 wheel drive, 8000lb towing capacity , AND seats nine, .... And gets 12 miles /gal. My daughter has one.

All others are SUV wannabes falling short in one or more attributes.

The Niro seating height is a step in the direction of an SUV so if Kia calls it a crossover I'm ok with that.

If that bothers anyone I don't care.

·
Registered
35 Posts
I moved from a Toyota Echo (which served me well for almost 14 years) to the Niro just 3 months ago. The Niro definitely feels bigger and higher, not by much, but enough that I had an adjustment period when getting in and out. Again, it's not much: with the Echo, I always felt like I had one of the smallest car in the parking lot, and with the Niro I still feel the same. However, it is roomier. I was looking for a hybrid hatchback, and the biggest on my list was the RAV4.

To answer OP's question my premium went up by $90/6 month, compared with an old Echo, I was actually pleasantly surprised.

·
Registered
2,874 Posts
Your Echo is the smallest car in the parking lot that is around in any numbers, unless you park next to a Smart car!

1 - 20 of 24 Posts