Kia Niro Forum banner

1 - 20 of 43 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My wife and I are really enjoying our new '18 Niro PHEV EX Premium. However as the nights get longer, our commute has started to require headlights for the final 15-miles (in a month it'll be the whole commute).

For the past few weeks we've counted how many times people have flashed their high beams at us (we average 6 people per night over the last 3-weeks). This evening though, while my wife was driving home a driver who we were behind pulled up next to us and was not happy, not at all. Definitely rattled my wife, heck he rattled me too.

The "low" beams are the brightest I've ever had in a vehicle that I've owned. So far it appears when toggling the high beams all it really appears to do is increase the effective light transmission above the low beams. The intensity of the low beams don't appear to change, if they do it's minimal.

We haven't reached out to Kia, yet, it's on my agenda for tomorrow.

Anyone else experience this? Anyway to deal with it? Is there a "low-low" beam setting I'm missing?

·
Registered
401 Posts
My wife and I are really enjoying our new '18 Niro PHEV EX Premium. However as the nights get longer, our commute has started to require headlights for the final 15-miles (in a month it'll be the whole commute).

For the past few weeks we've counted how many times people have flashed their high beams at us (we average 6 people per night over the last 3-weeks). This evening though, while my wife was driving home a driver who we were behind pulled up next to us and was not happy, not at all. Definitely rattled my wife, heck he rattled me too.

The "low" beams are the brightest I've ever had in a vehicle that I've owned. So far it appears when toggling the high beams all it really appears to do is increase the effective light transmission above the low beams. The intensity of the low beams don't appear to change, if they do it's minimal.

Anyone else experience this? Anyway to deal with it? Is there a "low-low" beam setting I'm missing?

lights can be adjusted down if you like.

Nobody is flashing us.

·
Registered
409 Posts

The LED headlights are definitely bright, brighter than the HIDs on my 2010 Golf TDI which was the previous leader. I've not had anyone flash their brights at us at night, although I've noticed that when I'm driving ahead of the Niro the lights are kind of obnoxious in the rear view. Minor quibble obviously.

I agree with charlesH, if you are bothered by it, take it to the dealer and see if they'll adjust them lower for you. Your's might be a touch high.

Or the people in your area are just really sensitive about it. :D

·
Registered
144 Posts
Not much night driving yet, but I get that in my 2015 Ford Fusion. It's one of those danged if you do/don't things for the auto makers. These days they are getting dinged on safety ratings if their headlights aren't insanely bright. I think that's in the Europe standard. Can't remember if it's US too.

·
Registered
36 Posts
I drove our 2018 Niro PHEV with the LED headlights for about 30 minutes the other night, and got flashed three times. I will be adjusting them lower this weekend. On a side-note, we had another 2018 Niro PHEV that was totaled a couple months ago, and it had HID headlights that didn't have an issue.

·
Registered
78 Posts
I adjusted the lights on my Niro Touring after a number of flashes.....easy to do, I put a little dab of white finger nail polish on the adjuster and just turned it a couple of notches the direction indicated on the assembly.

·
Registered
54 Posts

Your beams are just aimed high. Mine were too when I took delivery. The tech took ten minutes adjusted them to the proper height and life was good. Just go back to your dealership. The lights should be at 31.75" high at 25'.

·
Registered
3 Posts
I was also getting flashed with my PHEV EX Premium. I adjusted the headlight aim so that the beam cutoff at the TOP of the hotspot is now parallel to the ground. It was originally adjusted so the CENTER of the hotspot was parallel to the ground. I also then raised the fog light aim so that the TOP of the beam cut off is now also parallel to the ground. Now the foglights fill in the blank areas left by the headlights. The adjustment screw for the fog light is in a hole under the front of the fog lights. Found the difference in color temperature between the halogen fogs and LED headlights distracting, so replaced the fog lights bulbs with BeamTech LED, CSP H11 equivalents. Fog light is now slightly cooler in color compared with headlights, not a perfect match, but acceptable. I self checked and now no more glare and no longer getting flashed.

·
Registered
32 Posts
Are there any LED (top trim) owners that don't have an issue with people flashing them or high headlights? It's funny so many would have an issue in this thread. Having the customer adjust headlights after purchase unilaterally for all LED models seems really poor.

·
Registered
409 Posts
Are there any LED (top trim) owners that don't have an issue with people flashing them or high headlights? It's funny so many would have an issue in this thread. Having the customer adjust headlights after purchase unilaterally for all LED models seems really poor.
I've had my EX Premium for 5 months and haven't had any issues with people flashing me. I'm on the road quite a bit when's it's dark so it's a reasonable sample size. Maybe mine are just aimed a little lower?

As I said earlier, having driven in front of the Niro, the lights are super bright and you definitely notice the glare in the mirror, but not as bad as some of the local ricers with the super bright halogens or the big pickups with LED lightbars. Those are truly obnoxious.

I think the big difference is in the projector configuration. The difference between conventional halogen reflector setups and either Xenon or LED projectors is night and day (pun intended). Projector lights have a much tighter field of illumination vs reflector setups which have a lot softer pattern which I think makes a big difference.

Of course, even some factory halogen setups are brighter than others. I remember when I was a kid and my mom had a Volvo 240D(?) wagon. That thing had some serious lights. People would regularly flash their brights at her. She just flashed 'em back. Probably peeled the paint of the hood of quite a few cars.

For another data point my '10 Golf TDI had the Bi-Xenon projector headlights. That was a serious light cannon. The brights were almost too bright for me as the driver. The cutoff was so sharp it was almost distracting.

At the end of the day though, I love the lights on the Niro and when I drive another car at night it's like there's no light at all.

·
Registered
16 Posts
On my first oil change for my 2017 EX I mentioned being constantly flashed by oncoming drivers so the dealer tech said they checked and the headlights were in the proper position. I do love really seeing the road, but very much dislike being flashed as a cost of that benefit.

·
Registered
1,998 Posts
And we hate having to flash you! Try adjusting the low beams down and see if the forward view is still good. If so, then you will have good lighting and no flashes.

·
Registered
74 Posts
I have the base EX which comes with the projector lamps (non LED). I've been flashed a couple of times as well. I see that my driver side low beam is a bit higher than the passenger side. Usually there are vertical and horizontal adjustments on the headlight assembly. Looking it over I can only readily see only 1. I didn't want to mess with it at the time because I didn't know which would be adjusted. Anyone know if when looking from the back side of the drivers headlamp assembly, if the adjustment for the vertical is the one that can be seen on the back right half of the assembly?

·
Registered
221 Posts
A safety rating agency thinks those lights enhance safety. They may not consider gunshot wounds in the safety ratings.
I think the LED headlamps are annoying as ****, and that's on low beam. The light is just too intensely white, try looking into an LED flashlight for the effect. You can say it's a safety feature, but so would be driving on standard lamps in high beam mode all the time. It's not safe for other cars. Your eyes take that much longer to adjust back to night driving after seeing LED lamps. That's not safe.

·
Registered
144 Posts
I think the LED headlamps are annoying as ****, and that's on low beam. The light is just too intensely white, try looking into an LED flashlight for the effect. You can say it's a safety feature, but so would be driving on standard lamps in high beam mode all the time. It's not safe for other cars. Your eyes take that much longer to adjust back to night driving after seeing LED lamps. That's not safe.
Eventually LEDs are going to have to get to a warmer color. The blue in the white light is very hard on a person especially at night.

·
Registered
1,998 Posts
LED lights have a lot of blue wavelength and that decreases sleepiness. That is not a bad thing for drivers. Not so good in the house at bedtime. That is why many wear blue blocking sunglasses near bedtime, and either don't watch electronic screens near bedtime, or use a light spectrum modifying app.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Led headlights

We are having the same problem. Drove 2019 PHEV EX PREM 45 miles home from dealer after sunset and was flashed at least 6 times, several times receiving very aggressive flashing. Next day at dusk, 3 mile drive home, same thing.

A. It's not safe for oncoming drivers.
B. Encourages road rage. Not safe for anyone.

I'm not clear from responses here if this is a do it yourself adjustment or a dealer must do adjustment.
If you've done it yourself would you be kind enough to post a tutorial?

I have other issues with this car but this is a big one.

Thanks,

Richard

·
Registered
144 Posts
We are having the same problem. Drove 2019 PHEV EX PREM 45 miles home from dealer after sunset and was flashed at least 6 times, several times receiving very aggressive flashing. Next day at dusk, 3 mile drive home, same thing.

A. It's not safe for oncoming drivers.
B. Encourages road rage. Not safe for anyone.

I'm not clear from responses here if this is a do it yourself adjustment or a dealer must do adjustment.
If you've done it yourself would you be kind enough to post a tutorial?

I have other issues with this car but this is a big one.

Thanks,

Richard
If it isn't too inconvenient, I'd have the dealer do it. Presumably they would do it for free given it's a brand new car. Or for DIY, I assume there videos on youtube.

1 - 20 of 43 Posts