Kia Niro Forum banner
21 - 40 of 46 Posts

·
Registered
144 Posts
The heck?

There's actually a dial in the cabin? Holy cow.

Maybe that's just a European thing. I never looked. When I see that kind of dial I generally assume that is to adjust the instrument panel brightness.

·
Registered
250 Posts
The heck?

There's actually a dial in the cabin? Holy cow.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=b3WeO1fbKjs

Maybe that's just a European thing. I never looked. When I see that kind of dial I generally assume that is to adjust the instrument panel brightness.
The button on the right of the dial is for the dash lights.

I just checked my north American phev, it has no headlight dial there.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Figured it out. Open the hood and look at the back of the light housing. You'll find an odd 12mm hex bolt/#2 Phillips over a serrated washer. The hex bolt houses the Phillips head. (See pics). Wonder why it's made like that.

I moved the car 25' back from the garage wall then made a mark for each light 31 3/4" off the floor.

Make a reference mark on the bolt with white-out, nail polish or whatever.

Turn on headlights.

Turn the hex bolt clockwise to lower the "visor" or counter clockwise to raise the "visor." The "visor" is what limits how high the beam shines. You are not actually moving the light.

I lowered ours 3 full turns and tried that. It was too low. I raised the lights back up 1 full turn and that seems perfect.

So... 2 full clockwise rotations to lower the lights seems to be about right.

We now see a good distance in front of us and we don't get flashed. Just keep tweaking it until you find that sweet spot.

It's a ten minute fix and a few test drives. Saved us a minimum 1/2 day trip to the dealer plus sitting in the waiting room.

First pic should be passenger side, second pic drivers side.

Plan 'B': Buy car in Europe, use dial on dashboard.

Attachments

·
Registered
173 Posts
Figured it out. Open the hood and look at the back of the light housing. You'll find an odd 12mm hex bolt/#2 Phillips over a serrated washer. The hex bolt houses the Phillips head. (See pics).

Nice find, great post! Thanks for the pics and info, while my lights are fine, this little tidbit goes into my Niro file if I ever need it!!

·
Registered
78 Posts
I did the mark it with white finger nail polish....great idea! Even though I have the appropriate wrenches I could turn mine with my fingers so I think I moved it about 3 teeth! Perfection!

·
Registered
6 Posts
DebRic - Thanks for your post - including all the detail and the pics. It was very helpful. I was able to change the cutoff on my low beams - and that should reduce the number of unhappy drivers flashing their lights at me!

·
Registered
431 Posts
TK6 & others:
I drove our 2018 Niro PHEV with the LED headlights for about 30 minutes the other night, and got flashed three times. I will be adjusting them lower this weekend. On a side-note, we had another 2018 Niro PHEV that was totaled a couple months ago, and it had HID headlights that didn't have an issue.
Somewhere I read that the LEDs on the PHEV EX Premium provide good illumination straight ahead but poor for side illumination / curves. Whats your opinion on the HIDs vs LED headlights? Thanks

·
Super Moderator
610 Posts
Somewhere I read that the LEDs on the PHEV EX Premium provide good illumination straight ahead but poor for side illumination / curves. Whats your opinion on the HIDs vs LED headlights? Thanks
LED on my PHEV are great! and it's not that bad on the side.and curves! Much better than the normal projector's headlight that i had last year on my old HEV EX trim

Reactions: Dovidan

·
Registered
917 Posts
LED on my PHEV are great! and it's not that bad on the side.and curves! Much better than the normal projector's headlight that i had last year on my old HEV EX trim
Yep, agreed. Even on low the LEDs have great coverage to the sides. With the high beams they light up everything.

The only car I've had with comparable lights was my 2010 VW Golf TDI with the Bi-Xenon projectors. Those swiveled with steering angle to keep the lights centered on the road. They were awesome, but compared to the Niro, they had some serious hot spots and seemed a bit harsh. The LEDs in the Niro are much more even in their brightness.

·
Registered
431 Posts
Hey jmurphEV I'm just curious... I will be going from a 2017 Golf. How does your Niro compare to your Golf in terms of fit and finish, NVH (noise, vibration, harshness), suspension compliance to rough road surfaces, and ambient noise at 70 mph on highway.

·
Registered
917 Posts
Hey jmurphEV I'm just curious... I will be going from a 2017 Golf. How does your Niro compare to your Golf in terms of fit and finish, NVH (noise, vibration, harshness), suspension compliance to rough road surfaces, and ambient noise at 70 mph on highway.
I think the Golf and Niro are pretty comparable in terms of fit an finish. Both the VW and the Kia were basically fully loaded with all the options. The interior of the Niro is really nice and I really like the EX Premium tech, which is a bit of step up compared to the Golf. No shock as it's also 8 years newer.

NVH is hard to quantify comparing a TDI to a PHEV, but I think in terms of road noise the Niro lags just a bit. I think the Golf had a bit more insulation and isolation that quieted the cabin a bit compared to the Kia. Not to say the Niro is loud, just that it sounds a bit, thinner maybe, as opposed to the VW.

Suspension and handling wise the Golf wins hands down. The TDI had wider tires, stiffer springs and a lower ride height. Not surprising, the VW was marketed as a more sporty economy car compared to the Niro.

On rough pavement I think it's a wash. Both cars handle uneven surfaces pretty well, they just do it in different ways. The Kia is a softer ride compared to the Golf. But it never seems unbalanced or skittish.

Overall I love the Niro and don't have any serious complaints. I do miss the torque of the TDI sometimes and definitely miss the manual transmission. The diesel was great in that you could drive it like you stole it and still get 45+ mpg. The Niro is much less peppy and really wants you to drive it for maximum economy. No problem, that's why I bought it in the first place. :D

Reactions: Dovidan

·
Registered
18 Posts
I feel like the Toyota Corolla LED headlights are the worst from the factory, they are adjusted too high and blind anyone not driving a truck.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Led headlights

We are having the same problem. Drove 2019 PHEV EX PREM 45 miles home from dealer after sunset and was flashed at least 6 times, several times receiving very aggressive flashing. Next day at dusk, 3 mile drive home, same thing.

A. It's not safe for oncoming drivers.
B. Encourages road rage. Not safe for anyone.

I'm not clear from responses here if this is a do it yourself adjustment or a dealer must do adjustment.
If you've done it yourself would you be kind enough to post a tutorial?

I have other issues with this car but this is a big one.

Thanks,

Richard
We've had this same problem from day one with ours. I took it back to the dealer and they said it was not something that they could change and that it met factory standards. I have not looked at user adjustment capability yet, but after reading this, I will now. If you get this reply, let me know if you resolved the issue successfully.

·
Registered
234 Posts
The PHEV EX Preimium does not have LED headlights. That is the car I have, I have not been flashed, except when I forgot my high beams on. You can definitely see a line where the light is cast, and I could easily imagine a headlight being out of alignment and casting into oncoming traffic.

Edit: should have noticed the second page of comments...

·
Super Moderator
610 Posts
I have an EX Premium PHEV with LEDs and I get flashed at least once a night. I usually flash them back to show them how bright they can really get. ???
I do the same thing now! i have already lowered them.. what i can do more! LOL

Reactions: TheSilverFlash

·
Super Moderator
2022 Bolt EUV Premier
1,854 Posts
The PHEV EX Preimium does not have LED headlights. That is the car I have, I have not been flashed, except when I forgot my high beams on. You can definitely see a line where the light is cast, and I could easily imagine a headlight being out of alignment and casting into oncoming traffic.

Edit: should have noticed the second page of comments...
The US version does have LED headlights. :)

·
Super Moderator
610 Posts
The US version does have LED headlights. :)
Yes, you do have led lights, but your US version of the EX Premium is our SX version for the PHEV, @Spiritwalker2222, has what you call the EX version in the USA with the projectors.

·
Registered
333 Posts
I'm not clear from responses here if this is a do it yourself adjustment or a dealer must do adjustment.
If you've done it yourself would you be kind enough to post a tutorial...
The dealer will do it for free if you are still within 12mo/12,000mi since purchase. It would be considered a service adjustment covered under their service adjustment warranty.

·
Registered
431 Posts
I don't get flashed much in the city but about 10%+ of those I meet on two lane highway do. I'm gonna adjust mine down as DebRic suggests. Taking it to the dealer is just too time consuming for something that is this easy.

21 - 40 of 46 Posts