Kia Niro Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
2018 Niro EX Premium (Canada)
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I bought a used HEV and it is Kia rain guards. Presumably the side windows can be lowered slightly without rain coming into the vehicle. I can't see that I would ever want to do that. They increase the blind spot area, particularly on the A pillars, so I'm planning to have them removed. Does anyone see an advantage to keeping them?

·
Registered
2020 Kia Niro HEV Touring Special Edition
61 Posts
Other then helping a little bit with sun glare or the washer fluid coming in after spraying your windshield, I don’t see any other uses for them. I am going to be getting a set for mine. I’ve had them on every vehicle but I enjoy driving with the windows cracked a lot.

·
Registered
3,273 Posts
Kia doesn't make rain guards but there are a number of third party ones (some of which say Kia on them). The ones I got are less intrusive than I expected. I have about an inch of obstructed view top of my driver's side window (zero on the A pillar) and none on passenger side from the driver's perspective.

I see lots of cars with large and ugly rain guards that certainly must cut down visibility. Reasons not to remove: If you have glued on rain guards, there could be a difference in the paint underneath having faded differently than the rest of the car. There could also be glue left behind after removal that you will need to figure out the correct solvent to remove.

If you have in window guards, you can just pop them out with your windows lowered.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks for your replies. My situation is a combination of old prejudice, preference, and safety. I'm coming for a much older car with lower door panels. i.e more side window space. My rain guards come over 2 inches down the top of side windows, so the window area is much smaller than I'm used to. Also I have a long body, so I sit high in the seat. The A pillar is about 50% wider with the rain guards. This website has rain guards that look similar to mine and the website says they are attached with strong tape developed by 3M. Mine look like they may have a couple of screws to the front and back door frames. Removal may be problematic.

·
Registered
2021 Niro Hybrid LX
12 Posts
Kia doesn't make rain guards...
... but they do. They're in the accessories catalog, and are linked above. We got them for my husband's Rio from our dealer, and they're not very good looking. Sadly, they're about the only ones to be found for the Rio. You can see them in this picture. I have an aftermarket set ordered for my Niro, and they should be here by the end of the week.

As for removal, pop out the plastic pins (they aren't screws), pry down the top of the window channel inside the door window frame, and remove the metal clips. Grab a hair dryer, and start heating along where the adhesive tape is (it's not glue), and gently start pulling them from one end to the other.

·
Registered
577 Posts
If they are Kia branded visors, there indeed are attached with tape. The 3 black things are push pins that go into a clip that is trapped under the weatherstripping around the windows. Simple to remove, if you can get the tape to break free...that won't be easy.

And...I had a set on my Niro from the day I bought it, they were ebay specials. They got destroyed in the great hail storm of 2021. I removed them and ordered a set of Kia branded visors. I would not recommend them. The cheap ebay versions worked, fit, and looked better.

I won't ever own a vehicle without vent visors, they do a job.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thanks for the removal info. I'll see if I can find someone that wants the rain guards. I'll leave them on the car until then so that they can see what they look like.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts