Kia Niro Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
167 Posts
Are you referring to the wiper blades or the washer fluid? By your reply, it doesn’t seem that you’re asking about the product that you apply to the windshield to make the water bead.

·
Registered
14 Posts

·
Super Moderator
465 Posts
I don't know if you'd gain much from them over winter time, and at easily twice the price of regular washer fluid, I would be very curious if it really is worth it. I know from my previous cars that a cold windshield will freeze back over as the flash freeze point on glass with a thin layer of liqid is pretty quick. I have tried -40 and -50 washer fluid and it makes no difference. Is this enough of a different fomulation to work??

·
Registered
262 Posts
If you want to get good freeze protection from your washer fluid try mixing rubbing alcohol in with your bottle of windshield wash fluid. I use to use about a 1/2 bottle of alcohol into a bottle of washer fluid and then shake it up good. Never had a problem with it freezing up. Shouldn't be enough alcohol to ruin things but you might want to try it on a hidden painted spot on the car to make sure it doesn't mark the paint if you want to be safe.

·
Registered
5 Posts
I have been using strictly Rain-X wiper fluid for more than a year in my 17 Niro. It really makes the water bead great. When I'm going down the highway, I actually have better visibility with my wipers off because the raindrops just disappear. It cleans pretty well, but I have some trouble with the particularly large bug splats if I don't clean it immediately. As far as the wintertime use, I don't think it makes a dramatic difference. Frost still happily accumulates on my windshield when parked overnight despite being treated with the Rain-X coating at least once a day. It cleans salt very nicely. I actually use a spray bottle of it to soften up ice before I scrape it, too.

·
Registered
249 Posts
If you want to get good freeze protection from your washer fluid try mixing rubbing alcohol in with your bottle of windshield wash fluid. I use to use about a 1/2 bottle of alcohol into a bottle of washer fluid and then shake it up good. Never had a problem with it freezing up. Shouldn't be enough alcohol to ruin things but you might want to try it on a hidden painted spot on the car to make sure it doesn't mark the paint if you want to be safe.

Just make sure you buy actual rubbing alcohol, and NOT nail polish remover. The two items are right next to each other on the store shelves, and look identical, so read the label! Nail polish remover will almost certainly damage your paint, since the main ingredient is Acetone (aka, paint thinner)

·
Registered
243 Posts
I just apply Rain-X to my windows, goes on like liquid wax only easier. Will cause water to bead up a slide right off while driving for several months. Great stuff, really helps visibility in almost all conditions.

I didn't notice as much improvement with the Windshield washer solution

1 - 11 of 11 Posts