Kia Niro Forum banner
  • Welcome to the Kia Niro forum! We discuss all models of the Niro, including the Hybrid, PHEV and EV versions. We are glad you stopped by. Feel free to browse the various topics, along with out FAQs. To enable posting, you need to register for a user account. There is no cost for this. Just click in the upper right corner where it says Login/Join. We look forward to your continued parcipitation.

Rank newbie

3K views 10 replies 5 participants last post by  jgregv 
#1 ·
Hi, all - from L.A. (specifically, Hollywood and Burbank)

After reading a bunch of reviews on various sites, I decided on the Kia Niro, and I decided I wanted a 2017 or 18 blue one with the Advanced Tech package.

As these things go, I ended up doing a two-year lease on a red one with the Advanced Tech package. Picked it up the evening of 10/28, and have spent the past two weeks listening to its every noise, wondering if it is normal or what. I don't want to start accessorizing it until I'm comfortable keeping it.

So I'm looking forward to reading about all of your experiences!

Greg V.

#2 ·
Welcome to the forum! I believe you'll find the Niro to be a very capable car. I leased mine for 3 years, and then plan on going full EV.

What sort of car did you have previously?

Reactions: jgregv and lafe005
#6 ·
I wasn't as optimistic as everyone one else, so I purchased my 2018 HEV with an extended warranty with the full plans of keeping it for 10 years. I hope that in 9 years from now that they will have gotten the bugs out of the system and come up with a far better battery system or combination of battery super capacitor that will give you the range that is needed at a price that is more affordable and with enough charging station points to make it viable. Not sure if this is being rather optimistic, but we will see.

The Niro is a great car and yes it has its own quirks and sounds that are new. Some are just sounds we have always had but just could not hear over the sound of a large motor running, but others are definitely unique to the Niro.

#7 ·
I have a 2019 PHEV in red and love it. I got it in Feb and have 10K on it due to lots of trips from Orange County to Tucson and back. Love the 46-50mpg I get on the long trip, and the ability to have the AC run on the battery at rest stops for a nap during summer.

#8 ·
Hi ATC - it was a 2005 Mazda MPV, their minivan they pulled from the US Market. It was starting to have issues with burning oil (even synthetic), and resulting clogged valves, sensors. I decided it was A) not worth major repairs, B) not eco-friendly or economical getting only 17 mpg, and C) too big for me, anyway. :D

#9 ·
Even going highway you're pulling 46ish mpg? That's great! I took a run down to San Diego and back and was really bummed my mpg dropped from 50+ to 46 pt some-odd. It's back up to around 49.2 still on the same tank of gas I got down there before heading back.

#10 ·
Roadkill - I thought I'd play it "safe" with a 2-year lease in case I didn't end up loving the car. We're still in the early dating stage. If all continues well, I'll probably end up buying it out at the end of the lease. $16,500, I think. My apt. building doesn't have plug-in facilities, although my work does. Not sure a PHEV is a viable option for me.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.