Kia Niro Forum banner

21 - 32 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
3,110 Posts
but will definitely mention it to the dealer when it goes in, just to see if it is a known thing!
I stopped by the dealer today, had a right rear rattle confirmed (it has been annoying me since April), and an appointment next week. Dealer didn't know of an issue with Niros, but did say it is known problem with Sorrentos. Wouldn't be surprising to find out that it is the same shock. Plastic dust cover top of shock is prime suspect as earlier discussed. Let you know next week what they will do.

·
Registered
3,110 Posts
Today I went in for rattle service. They agreed that it was the right rear shock dust cover and ordered warranty parts, which includes the cover and some small parts like a screw. Although by hand you can elicit the exact same noise from the left rear shock dust cover, since it didn't make noise on a test drive (and indeed I've never heard it rattle driving), they are leaving it.

Two outstanding recalls, "tailgate striker" (sic") whatever that is - was fixed. Also a trim on rear door handle. Really surprised they are doing anything before it falls off.

Also, there is a plastic trim piece covering the front camera with an access cover that has been falling off. They said they will order parts if still falling off next week when I go back for the shock dust cover.

Its been 2 ½ years since purchase of 2018 but they said software is latest.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Ok, car went in for 1st service two days ago ( admittedly I have not heard the rattle lately), and asked the dealer to check it out. Looked a bit unhappy that I could suggest such a thing and said 'will have a look' with much shoulder shrugging. On picking up the car they said they had checked everything out and re- torqued the shocker connections, but had found nothing amiss. There was a vague suggestion of stones in the wheel? Time will tell, but all good so far!
Had a klunkey rattle(rough road @ slow speed) in the rear of my 2018 PHEV purchased preowned in May (2020). When I brought in for service technician said everything underneath looked good and tried to tell me it was something I stored in rear compartment. Rattle getting worse and driving me bats. This time in for 38,000 mile maintenance got a smart mechanic diagnosed bad shock RR. Shock replaced and I can appreciate how quiet this Niro is.

·
Registered
3,110 Posts
Bad shock? Or loose plastic shock cover? They are replacing my cover next week.

·
Registered
15 Posts

·
Registered
3,110 Posts
Well certainly needs replacing then. But a leaking shock is not directly related to a rattle. Since there have been other reports of right rear rattles in different Kia models, your shock cover was the most likely source. You can probably even confirm this for yourself with the new shock, reach on top of the rear tires and wiggle the shock. While bumps don't (currently) cause a rattle in the left shock cover, I can do it by hand.

·
Registered
3,110 Posts
Today I went in for rattle service. They agreed that it was the right rear shock dust cover and ordered warranty parts, which includes the cover and some small parts like a screw.
This has become a story with twists and turns. Ordering the parts turned out to be a two month process because only one part came in after a month and they had to reorder. Two weeks ago, the fix was made, yet the rattle continued. Bizarrely (read on) the types of bumps that caused it changed, suggesting the work done had some effect.

Yesterday, I returned to address the rattle again and they kept the car for 3 hours. I returned after 2 hours and they were driving new Niros to figure out what was going on. Left for another hour and returned and they think they figured it out. 4 technicians, and Kia corporate agreed that it had to be the rear vents - which are close to the rear shock but buried in body panels. I don't know how they made the discovery, but with all doors and windows shut, opening and shutting a door resulted in rattles on both sides. It was demonstrated to me, but it was a soft rattle, unlike my driving experience. They have ordered the parts (seems unlikely to be readily available), and it will take several hours of labor (perhaps overnight) to access these vents and replace them. The dealer reports this is a first time event for them and Kia.

I'm dubious. For one, I only hear a rattle from one side, and it is clearly coming from the outside of the car and sounds exactly like a manual shake of the shock dust cover. It only started after 33,000 miles. I don't know how the vent flaps work (spring loaded or passive?), but certainly it is true that the Niro is far tighter than older cars with air movement through the car. So it is an interesting theory, but I don't know how going over bumps changes the air pressure in the car. Might just be the flaps opening and closing from the bump itself creating a rattle. So we will have to see what happens.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Hi, I'm at my first 1K and either I didn't notice it before or it started now. I'm hearing a rattle/knocking noise coming from the back. I didn't have a chance to sit in the back while someone is driving so I can't pinpoint the exact location yet. You can hear it at the lower speeds 20-25 on some rough road.

It doesn't sound like the metal type but more like plastic but not 100% sure.

I thought I'll ask if anybody experienced the similar issue with their Niro (before I'll be forced to take it to KIA).

Please advise and thanks in advance.
Had a very similar knocking/rattle, on rough road at low speed. After second visit, Kia dealership replaced RR shock. Said "seals were blown out, leaking fluid, making noise". Nice and quiet now. Noise was really buggin me.

·
Registered
562 Posts
This has become a story with twists and turns. Ordering the parts turned out to be a two month process because only one part came in after a month and they had to reorder. Two weeks ago, the fix was made, yet the rattle continued. Bizarrely (read on) the types of bumps that caused it changed, suggesting the work done had some effect.

Yesterday, I returned to address the rattle again and they kept the car for 3 hours. I returned after 2 hours and they were driving new Niros to figure out what was going on. Left for another hour and returned and they think they figured it out. 4 technicians, and Kia corporate agreed that it had to be the rear vents - which are close to the rear shock but buried in body panels. I don't know how they made the discovery, but with all doors and windows shut, opening and shutting a door resulted in rattles on both sides. It was demonstrated to me, but it was a soft rattle, unlike my driving experience. They have ordered the parts (seems unlikely to be readily available), and it will take several hours of labor (perhaps overnight) to access these vents and replace them. The dealer reports this is a first time event for them and Kia.

I'm dubious. For one, I only hear a rattle from one side, and it is clearly coming from the outside of the car and sounds exactly like a manual shake of the shock dust cover. It only started after 33,000 miles. I don't know how the vent flaps work (spring loaded or passive?), but certainly it is true that the Niro is far tighter than older cars with air movement through the car. So it is an interesting theory, but I don't know how going over bumps changes the air pressure in the car. Might just be the flaps opening and closing from the bump itself creating a rattle. So we will have to see what happens.
At least your lucky in that it seems your dealer takes you seriously and has put forth an above average effort to find the cause of your rattle. It will be very interesting to find out the end result.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Rattle continue - my 2017 seem to have the hatch spoiler rattle. It does not seem to have lost the nut. More of a design problem? The spoiler it bolted at the top and the lower end edge is able to hit the hatchback frame when forced to. Stuffing some foam between hatch and spoiler helps. Is this common?

·
Registered
Kia Niro Hybrid MY20
6 Posts
Rattle continue - my 2017 seem to have the hatch spoiler rattle. It does not seem to have lost the nut. More of a design problem? The spoiler it bolted at the top and the lower end edge is able to hit the hatchback frame when forced to. Stuffing some foam between hatch and spoiler helps. Is this common?
I have had same rattle (Niro hybrid -20) since winter came at -10 or lower temperatures when driving slowly over the bumps. When car is getting warm, sound is disappearing. Yesterday I thought I found the source! It is the left side of hatch spoiler. It moves a bit and make connect to the hatch metal frame and to back window. I put a piece (2 mm thick) of rubber between the metal frame and plastic spoiler and sound is gone. Let's wait and see if the irritating sound is coming back or not?

·
Registered
3,110 Posts
So the rattle I first identified in April last year has finally been fixed yesterday. Not sure if the rear shock cover was a red herring or a second source of a rattle. Things did change after they replaced the shock cover.

So for sure it was also the cabin vents - there is one on each side in the rear and it takes a couple hours to replace them. About 4x6" in size, they have a plastic frame and about 6 rubber flaps oriented so that gravity closes them by resting on each other. Cabin pressure relative to outside (and the weight of the flaps) make them open. The flaps themselves are soft rubber and not the source of the rattle, rather it is the pins holding them in place that rattle. You could shake the old ones in your hand and they rattled. The new ones did not. Hopefully a redesign versus wear, I'd hate to have the rattle return after the warranty expires!

We now have several possible culprits for rear rattles. 1: leftover screw in the hatch. 2: hatch seal not fitting tightly. 3: Shock cover. 4: cabin vents.

There is a simple test to possibly rule out the cabin vents if you have a rattle you cannot locate: close all windows, open and close door. If you hear a rattle, cabin vents are a possible issue (the pressure change from shutting the doors opens them). Such a test on my car demonstrated rattles on both sides. In driving the car, I only heard a loud rattle on the right rear - loud enough that people turned to look at me. Dealer insisted on replacing both - first attempt they discovered just on vent rather than two they ordered. Something about warranty reimbursement.

21 - 32 of 32 Posts