Kia Niro Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
2020 Kia Niro EV SX Touring
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello everyone,

I would like to start by saying we really like our 2020 Niro EV. Purchased the Sx touring trim (Fully equipped here in Canada), and this will be my first winter with it.
On a side note I have a level 2 charger in my garage.

First question : How do I go about charging the batteries in winter? Do I just keep it plugged in all the time or do i let it go down to 30ish % like I'm doing now and charge it. I set the phone app to charge the car only to 90% which was recommended to me by a tesla owner. If i keep it plugged all the time should i use the level 2 or the trickle charger?

Second question : Due to my job, I will be going away for 6 months and my wife will be driving the niro 1 to 2 times a week on very short trips. Since I'm very new to the EV world i would like your input on what to do here. Knowing electronic a little bit, I understand that these types of batteries are usually stored at 40 to 60% capacity when shipping or storage.

Really glad I found this forum and looking forward to learning about my new ride !

Cheer buds!

·
Super Moderator
2022 Bolt EUV Premier
1,880 Posts
In the cold you might want to keep the charge level higher, mostly because of the range loss from the cold (less efficient and higher energy use for cabin heat). I agree with 90% as an upper limit unless you need a fully charged battery for a specific journey. Level 1 or Level 2? Many user debates online about this. Kia recommends using the Level 1 EVSE as a "trickle charger" (their term). Many battery "experts" state that Level 2 charging is better for the battery than Level 1. They also state that an occasional charge to 100% (say once a month) is good for battery health.

While you're gone, I'd probably say to have your wife plug it in once a week, or perhaps once every other week (depending on how much she actually drives), with the upper limit set at 90%. Sounds like she'll use it enough to keep the battery exercised.

·
Registered
2019 NIRO PHEV EX
334 Posts
Congratulations on your new vehicle. It sounds like a great vehicle for you guys!

Electric Vehicles like the KIA NIRO EV and Plug-in have sophisticated battery management systems onboard. They take care of everything for you.

Think for a minute about all the different areas of the world KIA knows these vehicles will be sold in - Florida - Canada-Europe - South East Asia etc. Then think about the many different type owners these vehicles will have - Homeowners with dedicated 240 vac charging stations- Apartment dwellers who use 120 vac- Individuals who use public chargers, Fleet owners, etc.
The vehicles are built to give each customer and each situation the optimum experience. The KIA Engineers plan and design the battery management system to optimize battery health and to protect the battery.

If it gives you any peace of mind- we bought our KIA NIRO PHEV in May of 2019- it now has about 35,000 miles on it.
The vehicle is plugged in when it is not being driven without exception. Our charger is in an unheated garage-in the summer it easily surpasses 100 degrees and in winter if it is 0 degrees outside it is probably close to 0 in the garage. The car is always plugged in. When we go on vacation we take the larger vehicle - if we go for a week the KIA NIRO remains connected to the charger for the whole week until we come back.

In our area it is early fall and perfect weather for maximizing your EV miles - we easily get over 30 miles electric range in this climate. Both the electric mileage and gas mileage are no different than when the car was new.

If you are new to electric powered vehicles be aware the most inefficient conditions for driving an EV are right around the corner in winter. In near freezing temperatures you can expect up to 1/3 less electric miles than you would get out of a full charge. The electric demands on the vehicle in this type weather are large especially heating the cabin area - even with a heat pump. If you drive your EV on a 0 degree day don't be surprised if your estimated mileage on a charge take a severe nose dive. There is nothing wrong with your vehicle it is a characteristic of EV's in cold weather!

We enjoy electric vehicle driving and especially the freedom to choose the type of fuel to use on our local trips.

Here is an article that illustrates the technical and engineering efforts that are put into these type cars

·
Registered
18 Posts
I hope you guys have the heat pump. In Canada it's probably standard. Someone will have to let me know if the mustang up there comes with a heat pump. Because apparently the 60000 GT doesn't even have one. Yikes!

1 - 4 of 4 Posts