Kia Niro Forum banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello all!

Wanted to start some discussion about one feature that I have noticed could use just a little assistance to make it much more useful.
As we know, the rear cargo area of the Niro is only directly lit by a small lamp assembly on the passenger side of the car. I'm not sure about how the EV or PHEV version is engineered and if this lamp is in the same place, but I feel that, though it is at the very least "adequate" for seeing in the rear cargo area, it could be brighter and illuminate more fully.

Wondering if anyone here on our forum has attempted to install some auxiliary lighting in the rear cargo area, what you used, how you wired it up(whether it is powered by the OEM light, or if it has a standalone switch to operate only when you need it).

In my old Spectra, I took the easiest, but extremely effective approach of using the flexible LED strip, secured it to the bottom of the deck lid, and wired it directly to the cargo light, so when the trunk was open, the light would come on.

However, the Niro is much prettier, and I would like to keep it that way. Some kind of low profile, less visible, and an idea that does not require modifying(cutting or drilling) is what I'm after.

I know we have some very creative and intelligent people on this forum, so I'm reaching out for any suggestions or ideas that makes sense in the real world.

Here is one idea I found on youtube, but just figuring out possibly a more elegant solution is what im after

Anyways guys and gals, lets get those creative juices flowing, as im sure quite a few of you out there feel the same way about this little detail on our otherwise great and beloved Niro,

Mike

·
Registered
266 Posts
Although I find the Niro better than many other hatchbacks,I totally agree regarding the inadequacy of light in cargo area. I have used these

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B007PBPI68/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o00_s01?ie=UTF8&psc=1 strategically located in the hatch gate of 3 cars (Honda Fit, VW, Golf, Subaru Outback). They provide a great flood of light into cargo area as well as 4-6 feet around the exterior of the car. So far have never had one fail (longest term of ownership was 6 years. They are a low profile "elegant" solution. They are more complicated than simple self adhering LEDs and do require drilling. You need to remove the interior panel of the hatch & drill two holes in the interior panel to install them.

Haven't gotten around to installing these in my Niro yet, but its on my list of things to do. Waiting till I finally decide if I'm gonna invest $1,000 for a installed power liftgate unit as I would do them both at the same time. .

1 - 2 of 2 Posts