Kia Niro Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I recently made the switch from the Stonic (MY18) Executiveline to the Niro PHEV (MY21) Executiveline. I noticed the real lights are (also the front) LED.
Why did Kia not enable the rear LED lights as DRL or give us the option to? Looks like it is only exclusive to the Ceed family (at least in The Netherlands). The Ceed, Ceed Sportwagon, Xceed and Proceed all have rear DRL enabled by default.
My question is if there is a way to enable it. I've seen on BMW, Volkswagen, Mini, Skoda, Seat etc you can code it. I do not know if this is available/do-able for Kia cars?
I can put the lights in the parking light position to get the front and rear LED lights on, but this way I cannot use the auto mode.

Let's not start the why would you want rear lights DRL discussion etc....

Kind Regards.

·
Super Moderator
2019 Niro PHEV EX Premium
1,750 Posts
I've never seen rear DRLs, as we don't have them in the US. I have seen European models with rear fog lights, but that doesn't sound like the same thing. Are you simply referring to the same rear lights that come on when the headlights are turned on? Honestly, I don't see a benefit with rear DRLs. For the front lights, that's to help someone see you coming. But with rear lights you're not approaching another vehicle. If visibility has dropped to the point that rear lights might be useful, it seems to me the headlights should be manually turned on anyway. And that turns the rear lights on as well. I'm not trying to go in the direction you didn't want to go. I'm simply trying to understand where they would be desirable.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Are you simply referring to the same rear lights that come on when the headlights are turned on?
Correct. In Europe, especially Scandinavië and West/North-Europe it gest pretty dark during autumn and winter. Therefore, brands like Volvo have it enabled by default. BMW and Audi have it enabled in higher end/trim models (Seat is doing the same thing). As I said even Kia is introducing it (for now) on the Ceed family.

·
Super Moderator
1,750 Posts
Thanks for the explanation.

·
Registered
115 Posts
I've never seen rear DRLs, as we don't have them in the US. I have seen European models with rear fog lights, but that doesn't sound like the same thing. Are you simply referring to the same rear lights that come on when the headlights are turned on? Honestly, I don't see a benefit with rear DRLs. For the front lights, that's to help someone see you coming. But with rear lights you're not approaching another vehicle. If visibility has dropped to the point that rear lights might be useful, it seems to me the headlights should be manually turned on anyway. And that turns the rear lights on as well. I'm not trying to go in the direction you didn't want to go. I'm simply trying to understand where they would be desirable.
Here in Manitoba we get an incredible amount of drifting or blowing snow on the open prairies. So even on sunny days cars often kind of disappear . If the car in front of you has rear lights on they're much easier to pick out . That and the days are very short .

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Here in Manitoba we get an incredible amount of drifting or blowing snow on the open prairies. So even on sunny days cars often kind of disappear . If the car in front of you has rear lights on they're much easier to pick out . That and the days are very short .
In some countries because of the manufacturers not enabling it by default it is mandatory to have the lights on, so the front and back (not the DRL).
So no one knows if we are able to code the car and get this to work?

·
Super Moderator
1,750 Posts
I've never heard of any way for an owner to make coding changes to a Kia. Perhaps a dealer might be able to do something like that. With vehicles from the Volkswagen group, there is a cable one can buy that plugs into the OBD2 port and allows a lot of customization. But I've never heard of something similar for other brands.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Asked the dealer. Said they get the request a lot but can't do anything about it.
All the OBD2 modules I have seen, can only read from Kia, not write. We need to be able to write.
I did get output on the commands used when putting it in Daylight and back to auto (from the developer menu). So those same codes need to be used to write it, but don't know how.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts