Kia Niro Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I bought this 2018 Niro LX in December and I don't know how long this is going on, but my husband got to the hatch before I was able to unlock the car and he opened it. I have since tested it by using the lock button on the remote as well as the door lock button in the handle, and that hatch will not lock. Is there anything I can do short of taking it to the dealer? TIA :x

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
If you have the key near the Niro, the hatch will always open.
OMG, You are right. I just tested it after locking with the remote and I left the key inside. I'm going to try with the door locks and then come back w/o key. Thanks! :x:x

·
Registered
1 Posts
omg - I bought a used '18 a few months ago and recently discovered the same thing - was just ready to call and make an appointment with the dealer because my lift gate wouldn't lock, and then found this post!!!! And yes, that is indeed the case. whew. But don't ya think it would be helpful to have this info in the manual? Thanks mscoulter and njniro - I am indebted.

·
Registered
479 Posts
omg - I bought a used '18 a few months ago and recently discovered the same thing - was just ready to call and make an appointment with the dealer because my lift gate wouldn't lock, and then found this post!!!! And yes, that is indeed the case. whew. But don't ya think it would be helpful to have this info in the manual? Thanks mscoulter and njniro - I am indebted.
I'm sure it's in the manual. I hate to tell you but a lot of these style remotes work the same way. My first Prius in 04 worked that way.

·
Registered
47 Posts
From the manual, under smart key function; "Pressing the button of the front outside door handles with all doors (and liftgate) closed and any door unlocked, locks all the doors (and liftgate).
Liftgate unlocking
If you are within 0.7~1 m (28~40 in) from the outside liftgate handle, with your smart key in possession, the liftgate will unlock and open when you press the liftgate handle switch. The hazard warning lights will blink twice to indicate that the liftgate is unlocked. Also, once the liftgate is opened and then closed, the liftgate will lock automatically"

1 - 6 of 6 Posts