Kia Niro Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Picked ours up this past Tuesday ... we're really having fun with it. It's a 39-mo. lease.

The tech packages in Kias in general have really impressed me. We looked at a Sportage too, but the gas mileage of the Niro really sold us. We don't need as much room as the Sportage but perhaps someday in the future it may be an 'upgrade' for us. Maybe if a hybrid comes out.

Anyway! One thing that surprised me on the Niro (Touring) was the lack of an autodimming rear-view mirror, and no Homelink! What?? It's so strange to have all these bells and whistles but have a rearview mirror that's a flashback to 30 years ago. And no Homelink means I get to hang a garage door opener off my sun visor.

I see the owners manual has a mention of an "if equipped" auto-dim rear-view, but I saw no way of getting one on a US version Touring trim... and absolutely nothing about Homelink. Has anyone seen anything different?

·
Registered
11 Posts
Our new Touring model also came with a manual day-night mirror. However, our purchase deal included swapping that out for a auto-dimming mirror with Homelink. Apparently the wiring standard with the Niro does not support auto-dimming or Homelink. Our salesperson said the same was true for the Optima hybrid when it first can out. Upgraded wiring kit was available a month or two later. So our salesperson included a "we owe" with our car to upgrade the mirror or return cash later at our option.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Steve, that's great! I hope it pans out for you. Keep us updated? Any part numbers or other info that you find out would be great to have.

I will check with my dealer on it too.

·
Registered
1 Posts
I agree that it's odd that the US version of the Niro does not come with a more advanced mirror, on any of the trims, let alone the Touring model.

This is actually one thing I was disappointed on, and hadn't paid much attention to when I test drove the vehicle. I assumed that it would at least have an auto-dimming mirror, because my dealership has had a display model Niro for at least a couple months now, and this display has an auto-dimming UVO mirror, though no Homelink. It had buttons for Power (to turn dimming on/off), UVO, SOS, Phone, etc. The display model is actually a Korean model, but I would have expected they wouldn't display a model with un-obtainable features, but it appears they did. Since I was so enamored with the rest of the vehicle during the test drive, this is one thing I completely overlooked when buying, and quickly noticed it once I got the vehicle all to myself after he purchase. Sad, because I just traded my 2013 Optima Hybrid EX, which did have the auto-dimming and Homelink rearview mirror. Upon checking the Kia site for European Niros, it appears that they have the option for an auto-dimming mirror in that market, as there is an option listed as "INSIDE REAR VIEW MIRROR - ECM," which is a separate option from the standard mirror. There are also images of European models that clearly have the auto-dimming mirrors...not sure what gives here for the US market...

I inquired about having this added to the vehicle, and I was told that, because the vehicle does not have the wiring necessary for it to plug straight in, they would have to send the vehicle to a custom car place to have an aftermarket mirror installed, at a cost of over $500. Needless to say, I said "no thanks."

One other thing I'm completely surprised by is the lack of power front passenger seat. With all the luxury this vehicle offers, they couldn't off this in the passenger seat? When I asked the sales guy about it, he said he believed Kia was trying to save on weight by eliminating the motor for the power seat there. Sounds like a stretch to me, especially because my Optima had a power passenger seat.

·
Registered
174 Posts
The lack of passenger power seat is due to weight savings. I am also surprised about the auto dimming AND in the UK they have lane keep assist versus the US models just having lane departure warning. The UK also has accessories we don't have, like optional 17 inch rims which I think look much better; options for a light under the door to illuminate the ground when the door opens, and other stuff.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
The front passenger seat is one I was surprised about as well, but I also test drove a Rogue and it also had a fully manual passenger seat even in the SL, Platinum, top of the line trim level.

So, I didn't sweat it too much. My wife doesn't mind and really doesn't move her seat much once it's set.

·
Registered
23 Posts
The lack of passenger power seat is due to weight savings. I am also surprised about the auto dimming AND in the UK they have lane keep assist versus the US models just having lane departure warning. The UK also has accessories we don't have, like optional 17 inch rims which I think look much better; options for a light under the door to illuminate the ground when the door opens, and other stuff.
So glad I'm not the only one to notice all this. I agree totally about the mirror. Good idea to negotiate it in! And the lane keep assist is lacking...I wonder why. Also, the 17 inch wheels would be a nice in-between size and I believe ideal for this car.

·
Registered
9 Posts
I had a new rearview mirror installed with Auto Dim, Homelink, and Compass. My guy did it for $370 cash. We have a Niro Touring w/ Tech Package. I really think this should have been a feature included in such a loaded car.

·
Registered
7 Posts
I had a new rearview mirror installed with Auto Dim, Homelink, and Compass. My guy did it for $370 cash. We have a Niro Touring w/ Tech Package. I really think this should have been a feature included in such a loaded car.
I'd like to do this too. Can you spare some details? Thanks!

·
Registered
29 Posts
I have found several items missing on the US models. Here is what I have spotted so far

1. Auto Dimming Mirrors
2. Lane departure warns but does not correct
3. Rear heated seats
4. Power passenger seat
5. Trailer wiring
6. Automated truck lift
7. In door puddle lights
8. Rear fog ligh
9. Adjustable headlight angle
10. Rear cargo area power connector

I'm sure there are other items depending on markets

·
Registered
7 Posts
OK guys, I pulled the trigger. I bought a new Kia Optima Auto-Dimming / Homelink / Compass mirror. Part No. D5062-ADU00. Since I didn't want to deal with wires seen, coming down, or getting loose, I took it to the Kia Dealer to install, who charged $140. It looks completely factory, and is great. I have a Niro Touring and it should have come standard, but...

In any event, it makes night driving much better, but too bad the side mirrors are not auto-dimming as well. Also, I don't need to keep the garage door remote in the car anymore. It was certainly worth doing.

Attachments

1 - 12 of 12 Posts