Kia Niro Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
The problem is described as follows: "The hydraulic clutch actuator inner oil seal may leak, allowing oil to accumulate in the cap area, possibly resulting in an electrical short and increasing the risk of a fire."

The article says Kia will start contacting customers in June for a free fix of the problem. The article is linked below:
https://www.cars.com/articles/2017-kia-niro-recall-alert-1420699944182/

·
Registered
173 Posts
Kia vehicles recalled: Certain 2017 Kia Niro hybrids.

The problem: According to the National Highway Traffic Safety Administration (NHTSA), the hydraulic clutch actuator’s inner oil seal may leak. This could allow oil to accumulate in the cap area and possibly result in an electrical short that may lead to a fire.
The fix: Kia dealers will inspect hydraulic clutch actuator caps for leaked oil and replace the assembly or replace the HCA cap with additional sealant, free of charge.
How to contact the manufacturer: The recall is expected to begin June 15, 2018. Owners may contact Kia customer service at 800-333-4542.

NHTSA campaign number: NHTSA’s campaign number is 18V257000. Kia's number for this recall is SC163.

·
Registered
84 Posts
So they have no idea of which vins/models in particular are affected by this problem? Which means they are going to have to inspect each Niro individually. At least they already have a fix in line and are beginning repairs soon.

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
You can look up your VIN at the below link and see if your car is affected.
https://vinrcl.safercar.gov/vin/

I checked mine, and it said "0 recalls" -- so apparently my 2017 Niro is not on the recall list. When I take it in for my first oil change in about 500 miles, I will confirm this with the dealership.

·
Registered
198 Posts
Could always check your vin on the NHTSA site and give your dealership a call just to be doubly sure that yours isn't affected.

·
Registered
291 Posts
You can look up your VIN at the below link and see if your car is affected.
https://vinrcl.safercar.gov/vin/

I checked mine, and it said "0 recalls" -- so apparently my 2017 Niro is not on the recall list. When I take it in for my first oil change in about 500 miles, I will confirm this with the dealership.
Thanks for checking and reporting about it here, hopefully other owners do that along with posting any vital production information. I think even stating when the vehicle was bought could help see a pattern of which production batches were impacted.

·
Registered
1 Posts
I was told the affected models were built mid 2016 so they are mostly Niros purchased early. Mines in the shop now for oil and a new radio (screen bleed).. I purchased mine late 2017 (when the 2018 models were being announced) so hopefully it isn't affected.. there are two service bulletins on mine though that is requiring them to check the electric drive motor R&R and to check a wiring harness. Nothing about the mentioned recall yet on mine though.

·
Registered
6 Posts
I just got my call. :-(

Fortunately, it's time for my 2nd oil change, so I need to go in anyway.

BTW ... I don't know if all dealers are offering it or not, but my dealer has a serious special on oil changes this month. $24.95 for the semi-synthetic that the Niro needs. That will make it worth the hour's drive!

·
Registered
2,997 Posts
The US manual specifies 0-20 which is only available in full synthetic. I am almost at my first service and happened to call my dealer about it today. They have to order the 0-20 in advance of my appointment. Kia branded they said.

My dealer said my first service was free. Turns out I get a $40 credit which would have covered the "parts charge" semi-synthetic oil change of $38. The full synthetic change will be $58 so I'll be out of pocket $20. Worth it to me, I don't want a downgrade of my car's efficiency. A little less out of pocket than if I had gotten oil and filter and changed the oil myself. Which I will be doing from now on!

·
Registered
21 Posts
Had my 2017 Niro EX for about a month. Got the clutch actuator recall notice, and found out there were some other software and braking system issues.

·
Registered
475 Posts
I received recall notice on an EX (bought in FEB of 2017 - first one on dealer's lot). Taking it in for check Monday (July 9). I have not had the alarm.

·
Registered
2 Posts
I received the notice last week and called immediately to schedule the fix. Got a few other issues taken care of yesterday but the part for this recall is back-ordered and won't be in until OCTOBER! I am very upset that they can't fix a safety issue right away. I owned a Hyundai for 10 years and loved my car and dealership. So far, I only like the Niro and am not impressed with the company or the 3 different dealerships I have gone to.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts