Kia Niro Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
178 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Supposedly there is a recall beginning on June 15th for the clutch actuator seal/gasket? During routine warranty repairs several were found to be leaking oil and according to Kia it could present a potential fire risk if a short were ever to occur. As this is a FULL RECALL status and NOT just a TSB (technical service bulletin) I'm starting this thread to see how many of us receive letters from Kia beginning on 6/15/18 and on requesting our vehicles to be brought into the dealer for this issue and for us to share/exchange information on our experiences regarding this issue.

·
Registered
26 Posts
Wife just took our Niro to the dealer to have oil changed. Dealer called me with 5 recalls or TSB for my 2017 Niro. He is supposed to note them all on the service sheet so when I see it later I will come back and list them all. The two I remembered were some with child restraint and the other the hydraulic actuator.

·
Registered
2,195 Posts
I don't know if it applies to used cars, but Kia has free towing available (but I think 30 miles max). My AAA policy adds another 100 miles. That could benefit you. But I think the notice is to check, not replace unless necessary. I'd call the dealer or Kia and ask if you can put it off.

·
Registered
221 Posts

·
Registered
303 Posts
I talked to the dealer where I bought my new 2017 Niro about the recall. I told them I was not able to get to a local dealer for some time and they asked the service tech about checking myself to see if it's leaking. They actually told me how to check it, you take the pan off the bottom, I'm assuming the same pan you take off to change the oil. And if it is leaking you should be able to see it then. The recall notice says that if it is not leaking they will silicone a new cap in place. so I'm going to check mine at my first oil change and see what's going on. If it is leaking they have to replace the whole actuator.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Got the recall notice also. Dealer service tech said they also need to do software updates and brake system check in addition to clutch actuator. NHTSA Recall Number 18V257

·
Registered
450 Posts
Is this a duplicate of another recall or did I just assume the other was what mine was about.

I got a recall, scheduled service for Monday (July 9th) on a 2017 EX bought in FEB 2017 as first one the dealer's lot. now at 14,888 miles. I have not had the alarm associated with the recall (hybrid alarm I think it is).

Noticed on the recall that if the alarm shows up -- stop the car and call for road service. There is a fire danger.

·
Registered
178 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Got the recall notice also. Dealer service tech said they also need to do software updates and brake system check in addition to clutch actuator. NHTSA Recall Number 18V257

The software updated IS for the braking system. It' s just improving braking transition between regenerative braking and traditional pad/rotor braking.

·
Registered
2 Posts
I received the letter on June 16. Dealer has the parts on order. As of today, they may have the parts next week. Now I have 2 potential fire starters, the potential HCA leak and the fuel tank leak that started today.

·
Registered
223 Posts
I posted this on the other recall thread also... Does anyone have a list or link to the Tech Service Bulletin/Announcement (whatever they call them) numbers for the software updates for brakes, batt. management, and all others?

·
Registered
27 Posts
I took mine in a couple of weeks ago for my first service. They did 5 TSBs , including the child lock stickers, the brake software upgrade, but they didn't have the parts yet for the hydraulic clutch. They ordered the part , it came in in two days. I got it done and waited for it - for just the hydraulic actuator recall it took ~1 hour.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts