Kia Niro Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
What is the correct tire pressure for the Niro EV. The door sticker says 36. The dealer or manufacturer had them inflated to 48!

·
Super Moderator
537 Posts
Many manufacturers ship their vehicles with the tires massively overinflated. I have no idea why, but I've heard of it happening with European, Asian and American manufacturers. Yes, that's one of the things a dealer is supposed to check on the PDI (Pre Delivery Inspection), but from what I've heard it is overlooked often. When I picked mine up they were actually correct, so +1 for them!

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks everyone. I've reduced the tire pressure to 38 and will talk to the service manager to let them know they messed up.

·
Registered
16 Posts
As a Mechanic, an overinflated tire is less dangerous than an underinflated tire. Reason being, sidewall flex. If the sidewall flexes too much, too much heat will generate, and the *potential* for a blowout is increased.

I've been maintaining 38 psi (cold) on all my vehicles for the past 20 years. Depending on ambient temperatures, the target *operating pressure* is about 42 psi (hot). You get nice, even wear across the face, and, yes, you're maximizing mpg.

The tires come overinflated from the factory for two reasons... 1) to prevent flat spots in the tires, and 2) to ensure the bead is properly seated.

You can safely maintain 38 psi with no issues... you'll never exceed the load rating with the Niro.

·
Registered
33 Posts
Same here. Dealer left them at 48 last summer. I reduced them at 38.

Then, during winter I had to inflate them from 35 to 38. Then, with the warmer temperature in spring they went to 42. I had my regular maintenance service at the dealer, including tire rotation, which also come with pressure check, but they were still at 42. So I reduced them to 38 again.
At 38, even during the hotest day, on the darkest ashphalt, on the highway, they get up to 42 typically, but stay below 44 PSI, which is the way you want it.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts