Kia Niro Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Greetings, and apologies if the answer's on the forum and I didn't find it. . .

Can anyone recommend apps for finding charging stations? A friend recommended PlugShare, but I thought I'd found one that let you plot a route, then listed recommended stops with charging stations based on the range of the vehicle. I can't seem to get PlugShare to do that and I can't find the app I'd used before. I'm thinking about taking my Kia Niro EV on a road trip soon.

Thanks.

·
Super Moderator
2022 Bolt EUV Premier
1,854 Posts
A Better Route Planner (A Better Routeplanner) is supposed to be able to calculate the best locations the charge, and how long to stay at each station, to travel the most efficiently. What it doesn't calculate is overnight stops, so for a really long trip you'll need to use something in addition to this site. Furkot | Free Road Trip Planner | Map Your Route is a great site for planning a multi-day trip, but has no charging sites, just gas stations. Unless they've updated it since the last time I've used it.

Reactions: dnicholson

·
Registered
8 Posts
I second the recommendation of A Better Route Planner. You might want to change the default consumption value in settings -- they recently updated it to be overly conservative (3.3 mi/kWh). 4 seems to be more accurate for my road trips. The app takes that reference value and takes into consideration speed, elevation changes etc. You can input values for extra passengers, road conditions, weather etc.

Sent from my Pixel 3a XL using Tapatalk

·
Super Moderator
2022 Bolt EUV Premier
1,854 Posts
You can enter any length of stop, and search for nearby amenities like lodging. Lets you manually input charging time/level too.

Sent from my Pixel 3a XL using Tapatalk[/url]
Yep, but you have to plan the stop. The other site I mentioned takes your desired daily driving time and determines where best to stop for the night, based on available hotels and gas stations. If they'd just add EV chargers along with gas stations, it would be a terrific long distance trip planner.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Yep, but you have to plan the stop. The other site I mentioned takes your desired daily driving time and determines where best to stop for the night, based on available hotels and gas stations. If they'd just add EV chargers along with gas stations, it would be a terrific long distance trip planner.
Thanks for clarifying.

Sent from my Pixel 3a XL using Tapatalk

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Thanks for the suggestions. I really appreciate them, and I'll check out the apps. The longest I've driven the Niro -- which I like very much, btw -- is a 160-mile round trip. Any recommendations for getting the best highway mileage? I read that EVs get better mileage in town because of regenerative braking, but I wonder about maximizing range on the highway.

·
Super Moderator
2022 Bolt EUV Premier
1,854 Posts
Yes, regen in-town does help with range. But at highway speeds, it's more wind and road resistance that lowers the overall range. Not driving too fast is the only way to extend highway range, but of course you have to stay within reason. You don't get on an US interstate and drive 50 MPH, unless you're looking to get run over. :) But blasting at 75+ MPH makes a huge difference in range.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Thanks. I did notice battery level going way down when I sped up to pass. Also when going up hills.

·
Registered
2018 Kia Niro PHEV, EX Premium
7 Posts
Greetings, and apologies if the answer's on the forum and I didn't find it. . .

Can anyone recommend apps for finding charging stations? A friend recommended PlugShare, but I thought I'd found one that let you plot a route, then listed recommended stops with charging stations based on the range of the vehicle. I can't seem to get PlugShare to do that and I can't find the app I'd used before. I'm thinking about taking my Kia Niro EV on a road trip soon.

Thanks.
Chargeway is an app I found today. It lets you add you car type and it will show you chargers that will work with it. It will also let you state a destination and it will recommend a route and note chargers along the way. I’m sure there are more features I don’t yet.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts