Kia Niro Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
57 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all. I have my Niro for approx. 4mos, and I've put on it approx. 4500 miles. In the beginning, I would routinely see that I was getting 50+ mpgs. But now, I'm lucky if I get 40. What gives?? Should I bring it in to the dealer to have them check it out? (Granted, I know that now is the time where AC comes into play much more than before, but to drop my mpgs by 10mpgs?! Really?!)

Thanks.

~Krista

·
Registered
68 Posts
That's a big difference... I know I did a lot of highway miles this summer and of course Highway MPG is always lower for the hybrids. I also wonder if heavy AC use could affect it?

·
Registered
291 Posts
Having them check out the engine and do an overall inspection would be a good idea, it might not even be anything to do with the engine but the drivetrain. Let the dealership know and report back.

·
Registered
469 Posts
Those that have had the stuttering, jerking, etc. also had low MPG.

Are you having that as well?

Personally, I have not noticed significant difference in summer (AC Time) or Hwy driving (my Hwy was like two 400 mile trips and two 200 mile trips pf mpstly Interstae at say around 65 MPH).

·
Registered
125 Posts
Hi all. I have my Niro for approx. 4mos, and I've put on it approx. 4500 miles. In the beginning, I would routinely see that I was getting 50+ mpgs. But now, I'm lucky if I get 40. What gives?? Should I bring it in to the dealer to have them check it out? (Granted, I know that now is the time where AC comes into play much more than before, but to drop my mpgs by 10mpgs?! Really?!)

Thanks.

~Krista
Do you have a Touring? Have your driving habits changed? Shift to more highway than city?

My touring has been getting between 46-48 mpg consistently for 6,000 miles. If you have a non-touring getting 40mpg, that is definitely a problem.

·
Registered
178 Posts
Off the lot, with dealer filled gas tank, we were getting 50-55mpg. On our first fill, I filled with 87 octane, 10% ethanol Mobil gas, mileage TANKED and stayed around 40-43mpg, next fill, I filled with 91 octane NON ETHANOL and WOW what a difference!!! Hovered around 61mpg for several days, did a 60 mile round trip, mostly highway (65-70mph) trip, back to mostly city driving, and staying 48-51mpg. I don't care what they say about higher octane not being necessary, it's either the higher octane OR non-ethanol or a combination of both but it made a HUGE difference for us!!

·
Registered
225 Posts
Off the lot, with dealer filled gas tank, we were getting 50-55mpg. On our first fill, I filled with 87 octane, 10% ethanol Mobil gas, mileage TANKED and stayed around 40-43mpg, next fill, I filled with 91 octane NON ETHANOL and WOW what a difference!!! Hovered around 61mpg for several days, did a 60 mile round trip, mostly highway (65-70mph) trip, back to mostly city driving, and staying 48-51mpg. I don't care what they say about higher octane not being necessary, it's either the higher octane OR non-ethanol or a combination of both but it made a HUGE difference for us!!
eddarah- There are so many possible variables there it's hard figure what the cause is. In my car, I have used all Shell and Mobil except 1 Exxon- 87octane, 10%ethanol (regular), and the tank MPG's have been very close, all above 50MPG. Average after 9 fuelups is 55.2MPG, and the current tank looks to be similar. I have had the A/C on almost constantly, and there's no big difference from the first couple fillups, when I was hardly using A/C. Also noticed highway driving doesn't seem to cut MPG compared to "town" driving- if anything hwy driving is higher. Although I haven't done a tank of constant stop and go downtown "city" driving.
I hope you continue to log your fillup types and mileage and post. It's interesting to see if any patterns emerge from our new vehicles.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Using gasoline with some percentage of ethanol in it will ALWAYS reduce MPG, other factors being equal, because ethanol has a lower energy content than gasoline.

·
Registered
178 Posts
eddarah- There are so many possible variables there it's hard figure what the cause is. In my car, I have used all Shell and Mobil except 1 Exxon- 87octane, 10%ethanol (regular), and the tank MPG's have been very close, all above 50MPG. Average after 9 fuelups is 55.2MPG, and the current tank looks to be similar. I have had the A/C on almost constantly, and there's no big difference from the first couple fillups, when I was hardly using A/C. Also noticed highway driving doesn't seem to cut MPG compared to "town" driving- if anything hwy driving is higher. Although I haven't done a tank of constant stop and go downtown "city" driving.
I hope you continue to log your fillup types and mileage and post. It's interesting to see if any patterns emerge from our new vehicles.
I also have noticed that my EX does NOT get the 46mpg highway stated, just yesterday we had a 90 mile trip home, 99% at highway 55mph, and when we landed in our parking lot, MPG was 57.7! Very happy with this! This was a round trip. Recently on some blog somewhere, I noticed someone state to NOT use cruise control in a hybrid because it will reduce mpg. I tested this yesterday and no way! Cruise control does indeed IMPROVE the mpg, I noticed that the Niro took advantage of downhill slopes and "coasted" as it was displaying on the dash gauge (behind the steering wheel) that it was in CHARGE mode. In city driving, I coast whenever possible to force EV mode, NO battery NO ICE/engine, and take advantage of the "free ride" AND charging, that happens when coasting. Keeping an eye on gagues while in cruise control led me to believe that the Niro is quite intelligent and drives the vehicle as much and sometimes more efficiently than I would.

·
Registered
291 Posts
I have a feeling that some time down the road a car maker like Kia might ask Mazda for its Skyactiv tech because right now Mazda is getting some impressive numbers compare to other car makers of gasoline engines. Unless Kia/Hyundai develop their own.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts