Kia Niro Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Have 40,00 mi on my Niro EV EX Premium. Is the best car I've ever had. Recently a "Refill Inverter Coolant" warning came up. I checked the level and it was at the low level. Purchased coolant at Kia dealer $49/ 2 qt. Filled to high level mark. In two weeks the coolant level has not dropped; but, I am still getting the Refill Inverter Coolant warning. Manual ays the inverter coolant to be flushed and replaced at 120,000 mi.

Although the local dealers (Austin, TX) are EV certified, I don't rallytrusy their expertise on EVs at this point. Have OBD2 reader on the way to verify battery temp. (Surprised the instrument panel won't show that).

Haas anyone experienced this issue and gotten it resolved? Google search inconclusive.

·
Registered
2020 Niro HEV EX+
808 Posts
Have 40,00 mi on my Niro EV EX Premium. Is the best car I've ever had. Recently a "Refill Inverter Coolant" warning came up. I checked the level and it was at the low level. Purchased coolant at Kia dealer $49/ 2 qt. Filled to high level mark. In two weeks the coolant level has not dropped; but, I am still getting the Refill Inverter Coolant warning. Manual ays the inverter coolant to be flushed and replaced at 120,000 mi.

Although the local dealers (Austin, TX) are EV certified, I don't rallytrusy their expertise on EVs at this point. Have OBD2 reader on the way to verify battery temp. (Surprised the instrument panel won't show that).

Haas anyone experienced this issue and gotten it resolved? Google search inconclusive.
I have no experience with that at all but I am guessing it is simply a faulty sensor and should not be an expensive repair - might even be covered under powertrain warranty.
I would not have filled to high level mark just as I do not fill my oil to the high level mark. If it was at minimum when cold, that would have been sufficient and therefore, something else is generating the warning.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I have no experience with that at all but I am guessing it is simply a faulty sensor and should not be an expensive repair - might even be covered under powertrain warranty.
I would not have filled to high level mark just as I do not fill my oil to the high level mark. If it was at minimum when cold, that would have been sufficient and therefore, something else is generating the warning.
Thx. It was minimum when hot.

·
Registered
2019 Kia Niro Hybrid LX
250 Posts

I never had this happened to me. My guess is that the code needs to be reset or like someone else mentioned here, it may be a faulty sensor.

·
Administrator
2022 Bolt EUV Premier
2,484 Posts
Forgive my ignorance but what is inverter coolant? I though a full electric engine didn’t need fluid maintenance?
EVs (except for the Leaf) have a cooling system for the battery and power electronics. A lot of heat is generated by the inverter when in use, and batteries need cooling as well. The Leaf is air cooled, and it suffers from reduced battery life because of it. In really warm climates, the Leaf can lose 30% or more of battery capacity in just a few years. Without looking it all up, I concede my numbers might not be accurate, but there's no questions that a liquid cooled battery along with other EV components is a necessary system. Some cars do an excellent job scavenging the heat from these sources and use it for cabin heat in the winter, reducing the load on the battery to stay warm.

·
Registered
2019 NIRO PHEV EX
459 Posts

·
Registered
257 Posts
EVs (except for the Leaf) have a cooling system for the battery and power electronics. A lot of heat is generated by the inverter when in use, and batteries need cooling as well. The Leaf is air cooled, and it suffers from reduced battery life because of it. In really warm climates, the Leaf can lose 30% or more of battery capacity in just a few years. Without looking it all up, I concede my numbers might not be accurate, but there's no questions that a liquid cooled battery along with other EV components is a necessary system. Some cars do an excellent job scavenging the heat from these sources and use it for cabin heat in the winter, reducing the load on the battery to stay warm.
Thanks. Makes sense.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts