Kia Niro Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
2022 E-Niro
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Brake Light actuation under Regen Level 2 and 3 use.

As a new owner of a 2022 EV, I have a very serious concern using level 2 and 3 Regen and NOT having the brake lights turn on to let drivers behind you know you are slowing at a much faster rate than even "gearing down" in an ICE vehicle. Under Level 3, the slowing of the vehicle is so significant that you could be rear ended by a driver that is looking for brake lights to let them know you are slowing. In today's world, with everyone's face glued to the phone in their hand, we need to make ourselves as visible as possible!!!!!

So is there any Hack that can be configured to turn on the brake lights any time level 2 or 3 regen is triggered??

""By the way, so far I haven't followed the car to see if it does show brake lights or not, having driven only at night one time since getting it." I suspect that it does not.

·
Super Moderator
2022 Bolt EUV Premier
1,880 Posts
In my '19 PHEV, I could see the third brake light come on when it was dark. And I did see it come on with only regen. In fact, I believe it came faster than necessary, as it would illuminate even when it was merely holding my speed downhill.

·
Registered
923 Posts
Brake Light actuation under Regen Level 2 and 3 use.

As a new owner of a 2022 EV, I have a very serious concern using level 2 and 3 Regen and NOT having the brake lights turn on to let drivers behind you know you are slowing at a much faster rate than even "gearing down" in an ICE vehicle. Under Level 3, the slowing of the vehicle is so significant that you could be rear ended by a driver that is looking for brake lights to let them know you are slowing. In today's world, with everyone's face glued to the phone in their hand, we need to make ourselves as visible as possible!!!!!

So is there any Hack that can be configured to turn on the brake lights any time level 2 or 3 regen is triggered??

""By the way, so far I haven't followed the car to see if it does show brake lights or not, having driven only at night one time since getting it." I suspect that it does not.
Dang it, ninja'd by @atc98092 😁.

My experience is similar. If I press the brake pedal very lightly I can increase regen (based on the efficiency gauge) and the brake lights stay off. Pressing just a bit harder turns them on. The same applies with the cruise control. Basically the behavior of the brake lights seems to be tied to the rate of deceleration, not just to brake pedal application. I would be surprised if the EV was much different. Also, in EVs that support true 1 pedal driving I imagine the brake lights would have to come on when coasting as the car will basically slow to a stop and doing that without any indication would be a massive safety hazard.

·
Registered
2022 E-Niro
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thank you all for your replies, I have just had my wife drive down the street and I observed that in Level 1, the brake lights did not come on, but in level 2 and 3 they did!!

·
Registered
2022 Niro EV EX Premium
6 Posts
I appreciate this info. I’ve had my EV for one week, and I’ve been driving in level 2 and using the paddle.

In my Bolt, which I always drove in one-pedal mode, the brake lights indeed seemed to come on when there was noticeable deceleration. (But then I had to rest my foot on the pedal while stopped to keep the brake lights on.)

1 - 6 of 6 Posts