Kia Niro Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi All! Just joined.
Considering purchase of 2018 PHEV Premium (top of line model).
Is there a way to set different regen. rates? Can I use this to come to full stop without using disk brakes on wheels?
Thanks in Advance

10dog

·
Super Moderator
2019 Niro PHEV EX Premium
1,557 Posts
Regen is not adjustable. It does vary by how hard you press the brake pedal, up to the limits of the system. Regen drops as you slow. No, you can't come to a complete stop with just regen. It turns completely off at about 5 MPH.

Try driving it in places with long hills. That's the only place I'm less than satisfied with mine. The EV motor only has 60 HP, and it's not enough to climb some hills without the engine coming on. If you're OK with that (I like staying in EV mode as much as possible), it's a great car, and very peppy with the engine added.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Regen is not adjustable. It does vary by how hard you press the brake pedal, up to the limits of the system. Regen drops as you slow. No, you can't come to a complete stop with just regen. It turns completely off at about 5 MPH.

Try driving it in places with long hills. That's the only place I'm less than satisfied with mine. The EV motor only has 60 HP, and it's not enough to climb some hills without the engine coming on. If you're OK with that (I like staying in EV mode as much as possible), it's a great car, and very peppy with the engine added.
Thank You, Super Moderator, for the speedy reply. So, is there any indication when the Regen is maxing out AND the disk brakes kick in?...

·
Super Moderator
1,557 Posts
To be honest, I can rarely tell when the mechanical brakes kick in. Kia has done an excellent job of blending regen and the brakes. You can see the regen reach its max on the power gauge, as it doesn't dip any lower once it's peaked. Any additional slowing is done by the brakes. And as mentioned, regen turns off completely at 5 MPH, when the power gauge moves back to zero.

Starting in 2020, the PHEV now has stop and go adaptive cruise (as the EV already had), so the CC will bring the car to a stop and hold it without applying the brake pedal. I haven't driven one, so I can't say if the regen continues to the full stop, but I know it uses the e-brake (which has changed from a foot pedal to electronic control) to hold the car in place.

·
Registered
2020 Niro HEV EX+
121 Posts
Starting in 2020, the PHEV now has stop and go adaptive cruise (as the EV already had), so the CC will bring the car to a stop and hold it without applying the brake pedal. I haven't driven one, so I can't say if the regen continues to the full stop, but I know it uses the e-brake (which has changed from a foot pedal to electronic control) to hold the car in place.
My 2020 HEV also has adaptive cruise and works the same way. It is tough to tell if the regen continues to full stop but I am assuming it is regen that is stopping to full stop - I don't have to touch the brake pedal.

·
Super Moderator
1,557 Posts
If the power meter continues showing regen to 0 MPH, then the regen is providing most/all of the stopping power. In my '19, the meter jumps from showing regen to the zero indication right at 5 MPH. I can't remember where the cruise control will disengage, if it's also at 5 MPH or at 15. Been a while since I've used it that slow.

·
Registered
2020 Niro HEV EX+
121 Posts
If the power meter continues showing regen to 0 MPH, then the regen is providing most/all of the stopping power. In my '19, the meter jumps from showing regen to the zero indication right at 5 MPH. I can't remember where the cruise control will disengage, if it's also at 5 MPH or at 15. Been a while since I've used it that slow.
You are probably correct. I have not actually watched the power meter closely and also was guarding the brake pedal with my foot because I don't want to see what happens if I don't step on the brake.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
You are probably correct. I have not actually watched the power meter closely and also was guarding the brake pedal with my foot because I don't want to see what happens if I don't step on the brake.
Thank You, Super Moderator & Techy for your valuable info. ...now, if I can just find a 2018-19 White colored PHEV Niro near me in Salt Lake City...

·
Super Moderator
1,557 Posts
Super Moderator isn't my name, just my function here on the forum. :D

·
Registered
2019 NIRO PHEV EX
297 Posts
Thank You, Super Moderator & Techy for your valuable info. ...now, if I can just find a 2018-19 White colored PHEV Niro near me in Salt Lake City...
We have a 2019 Niro PHEV EX we wanted the white color also and the higher model but settled on Silver and EX model.

We have been satisfied with our car and have had no problems with it.

I would suggest when searching for a vehicle you might want to be flexible on the color and model to save some money and frustration.

The internet is a wonderful way to buy a vehicle and search for one. Many Dealers will ship to your area at a minimal cost.

You can also allow the Dealers to compete for your business and lowest price by using an internet car buying service or a car broker

·
Registered
3 Posts
I don't think this applies to the newest Niro PHEV. We have a 2020 and when not in Sport mode the paddle shifters are used to increase/decrease the regen power. The Level 3 regen will bring you to almost a full stop and you still have to use the brake. Level 1 and 2 are great on long descents or even just stop and start in the city.

While my PHEV is rated for 26 miles of EV driving, I was able to get 31 the other day by strategic use of the regen settings.

·
Super Moderator
1,557 Posts
You could be right. The '19 and older do not have paddles on the wheel. But even without them, I regularly get 30 miles with the HVAC on (the EPA rating of 26 is with HVAC off) and have reached 34, again with A/C on.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts