Kia Niro Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Does anyone know if regen is used on the rear brakes on the HEV?

The manual says to tow without rolling the rear wheels (put on flatbed). The only reason I can think this would be required is if there is more going on with the rear wheels than just a passive hub.

·
Registered
76 Posts
It can't be as regen is by rotation of the electric motor and there is no mecanical connection between rear wheels and front.

Could the advice be given in case you are towed but with engine on (by mistake or not)? therefore with a possible triggering of anticollision/trejectory controll that could actuate on breaks?

·
Registered
415 Posts
Does anyone know if regen is used on the rear brakes on the HEV?

The manual says to tow without rolling the rear wheels (put on flatbed). The only reason I can think this would be required is if there is more going on with the rear wheels than just a passive hub.
The manual for my '18 PHEV says using a flatbed or dollies is recommended, but that towing with the rear wheels on the ground is acceptable. I think it's just preferred to avoid damage due to leaving the parking brake on.

Attachments

·
Registered
178 Posts
It can't be as regen is by rotation of the electric motor and there is no mecanical connection between rear wheels and front.

Could the advice be given in case you are towed but with engine on (by mistake or not)? therefore with a possible triggering of anticollision/trejectory controll that could actuate on breaks?

REGEN is braking and should NOT involve the rotation of the electric motor. REGEN is REGENERATIVE BRAKING in which when brakes are applied, unless maybe you meant when the electric motor spins in reverse (regen braking), then I guess in that scenario you could say the electric motor is involved??

·
Registered
76 Posts
REGEN is braking and should NOT involve the rotation of the electric motor. REGEN is REGENERATIVE BRAKING in which when brakes are applied, unless maybe you meant when the electric motor spins in reverse (regen braking), then I guess in that scenario you could say the electric motor is involved??
regenerative braking has little to do with pads&disck the first part of breaking involve the electric motor generating electricity therefore resisting to the rotation: the more you tell it to produce electricity the stronger it resist ( at the drivers level: the stronger it brakes) then if you press harder on the pedal the pads start actuating on the disc like conventional brakes (on top of regen braking) by the way this is why the pads on hybrids (should) live much longer than on conventional car.

Regenerative braking on the niro is not heat conversion to electricity it does not involve the rear wheels/brakes

or I don't understant what you are saying and maybe we are saying the same thing?

·
Registered
2,018 Posts
Hybrid 101: Whenever the car is slowing, foot off the "gas" pedal or braking, the motor is recharging the traction battery. This is called regeneration as it is converting momentum (potential) energy to electricity. This resistance to forward momentum slows the car, just as when the current flow the other direction causes a speed increase. It is common to call this regen braking and as it is not anywhere close to being 100% efficient, it does create heat.

Regen is strong enough to stop the car and the EV versions does just that. Mechanical brakes are mostly used for fast or panic stopping where the driver input for deceleration exceeds what the motor can do, and for the last few inches of a slow full stop. Mechanical brakes on well designed hybrids tend to far outlast conventional cars by some multiple.

·
Registered
32 Posts
Agreed with other posters. No regen in the rear. Towing with rears on the ground is fine.

I suspect the reason the Niro (phev) regens only 75% after slowing to ~32mph and lower (instead of the fully 100%) is it wants to ensure you're using mechanical braking for stability purposes, rather than just slowing with only the fronts at 100% regen.

·
Registered
2,018 Posts
That's interesting. Not familiar with the PHEV displays. But depending on the capabilities of the motor, energy available for regen decreases as speed decreases. On my HEV, my physical brakes do not engage under normal "braking" util I'm almost dead stopped. Still have good regen slowing of the car under 32 mph for normal coming to a stop. Not so sure during fast braking as obviously I'm watching what is happening with other cars.

·
Registered
404 Posts
Agreed with other posters. No regen in the rear. Towing with rears on the ground is fine.

I suspect the reason the Niro (phev) regens only 75% after slowing to ~32mph and lower (instead of the fully 100%) is it wants to ensure you're using mechanical braking for stability purposes, rather than just slowing with only the fronts at 100% regen.
What's the source for this claim? I don't detect any change in braking as speed crosses 32 mph.

·
Registered
2,018 Posts
What's the source for this claim? I don't detect any change in braking as speed crosses 32 mph.
I assumed it was a display on the PHEV that poster was talking about - say the charging meter. The charging meter on my HEV does show relative regen.

But all hybrids do blending on braking and if in fact the regen decreases below some speed, the physical brakes take over. The goal of all manufacturers were to make this invisible to the driver - or very smooth in other words. This wasn't true of hybrids in the past and is apparently not easy to do. Ioniqs and Niros get (mostly) very good reviews on braking smoothness and lack of weirdness. Now the question that seems to concern a lot of owners is when is one working versus the other - it used be be painfully obvious and irritating.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts