Kia Niro Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
2,125 Posts
Yup, pretty easy. You will need a deep 10mm socket.

If you don't plan on a roof rack, you might just leave them off. Good for 2-4% aero efficiency gain. The black trim for the FE model will fit, cost about $70 for the pair.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Yup, pretty easy. You will need a deep 10mm socket.

If you don't plan on a roof rack, you might just leave them off. Good for 2-4% aero efficiency gain. The black trim for the FE model will fit, cost about $70 for the pair.
Nice, I cant seem to find these rails for sale. Do you have a link or a site I can check?

·
Registered
2,125 Posts
Wrong on price. Just got charged $45 plus tax for one side at a dealer. Would you believe someone stole just one on a recent trip to California? Might be worth shopping around.

The roof rails are attached to welded studs that are a bit too tall for the trim to fit over them. You may be able to remove just enough to make the trim fit and still be able to reinstall the rails down the road. I didn't bother trying, just Dremeled them off altogether. I might have tried had I had my hands on the trim at the time but didn't care that much. They just add aero drag and about 20 pounds, and I've managed to survive my entire life so far without the slightest desire for roof racks (in part because I always go for hatchbacks).

Personally, I think the car looks better without them.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Wrong on price. Just got charged $45 plus tax for one side at a dealer. Would you believe someone stole just one on a recent trip to California? Might be worth shopping around.

The roof rails are attached to welded studs that are a bit too tall for the trim to fit over them. You may be able to remove just enough to make the trim fit and still be able to reinstall the rails down the road. I didn't bother trying, just Dremeled them off altogether. I might have tried had I had my hands on the trim at the time but didn't care that much. They just add aero drag and about 20 pounds, and I've managed to survive my entire life so far without the slightest desire for roof racks (in part because I always go for hatchbacks).

Personally, I think the car looks better without them.
I may remove them and see how it looks.

·
Registered
2,125 Posts
Personal taste for sure! I think designers and consumers believe roof rails make the car look tough and ready for anything. We are lucky in that we have a choice. Lots of car models don't.

·
Registered
32 Posts
Hah. Serves me right. I didn't know anything about the non plug-in trims.

And you're right about efficiency, the FE trim has better MPG numbers. Certainly seems like a good thing to consider removing if you aren't using them.

·
Registered
2,125 Posts
The FE gets better efficiency ratings for two reasons. The lack of roof rails is the real efficiency gain. The other one is that it weighs slightly less than the LX model. The EPA has weight groups and even shedding one pound that puts you in a lower bracket improves your mpg rating. That accounts for the extreme weight reduction steps Hyundai did in the US market for their Ioniq Blue model to get the highest EPA ratings of any car, including Prius.

Weight certainly has an impact on fuel economy but 50 pounds doesn't matter as much as aero. I'm getting considerably above the EPA rating for the FE, never mind my model LX rating. Of course, driving style plays a large role. I also removed some weight - about 45 pounds net from the rails and rear seats after building a new load floor. More importantly, one more aero mod: removed passenger side outside mirror.

·
Super Moderator
497 Posts
The FE gets better efficiency ratings for two reasons. The lack of roof rails is the real efficiency gain. The other one is that it weighs slightly less than the LX model. The EPA has weight groups and even shedding one pound that puts you in a lower bracket improves your mpg rating. That accounts for the extreme weight reduction steps Hyundai did in the US market for their Ioniq Blue model to get the highest EPA ratings of any car, including Prius.

So are you saying that I need to go on a diet so I can get better fuel economy. Probaby should walk everywhere rather than getting in the car so I can shed the lbs for the sake of mpg's. THANKS!

·
Registered
2,125 Posts
Trump is far too busy being president to visit his golf course in Florida. Try to keep up on the news. Maybe after he has taken away everyone's health care he'll have time.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts