Kia Niro Forum banner
  • Welcome to the Kia Niro forum! We discuss all models of the Niro, including the Hybrid, PHEV and EV versions. We are glad you stopped by. Feel free to browse the various topics, along with out FAQs. To enable posting, you need to register for a user account. There is no cost for this. Just click in the upper right corner where it says Login/Join. We look forward to your continued parcipitation.
21 - 34 of 34 Posts
is that 10mm bolt under the cutout on top of the rail? just one?
I believe there are four per side. One under each cover, and one under each end cap. The end caps just pop off (snaps off) by hand. Takes a bit of side to side and muscle. I did the first one gently with a wrench or a flathead (don't remember) so I could figure it out how it works. Just snaps into place.

Roof trim also just snaps into place - which is why it was easy for some scalawag to steal one off of my car. No tools needed.

Did anyone end up doing this? Interested in doing it to my 2020 PHEV as I won't ever have a need to use them. Am definitely down to increase efficiency and mileage if possible too.

Plus I might go with chrome delete and think would look better IMO.

I want the roof rails OFF my 2018 EX Touring. I have no use for them, and they're in the way when trying to get snow off the roof in these upstate New York winters.

So ... based on what I'm seeing, a dealer should be able to get them off without going through the inside roof upholstery? Is that correct?

Nice, I cant seem to find these rails for sale. Do you have a link or a site I can check?
Here are the part numbers for cover strips after removing your roof rails. Genuine KIA part numbers: 87230-G5000 for left side and 87240-G5000 for the right side. If you have to ask the price you can't afford it. But it's worth it. LOL

Yup, pretty easy. You will need a deep 10mm socket.

If you don't plan on a roof rack, you might just leave them off. Good for 2-4% aero efficiency gain. The black trim for the FE model will fit, cost about $70 for the pair.
Well I purchased the pair of black trim first and went to remove the rails and found there are studs higher tan the trim. What did you do since I would like to maybe reverse the procedure in the distant future? I would hate to have to grind them off. Can these studs be removed? HELP!

No, they are spot welded on. I used a cutting wheel on a Dremel to carefully cut them off. About a 5 minute task.

On your daily drive, note how many cars have roof rails, and see if you can spot any using them for racks. I'd bet on most days, you will not see any practical use of them. They are largely a styling exercise that costs aerodynamics and gas on every drive. These rails fade into the background. I'd also bet that if you sell your car privately (or to a dealer) no one will note their absence or presence.

I wouldn't worry about reversing this operation for the reasons above. That said, if you leave some threads on the studs (I did), it would be possible to make a custom nut to fit the rails again. Trivial if you have a lathe, but would be costly to pay a machinist.

I wonder if you get a better MPG result because the roof rails are part of the aerodynamics ...

Well I purchased the pair of black trim first and went to remove the rails and found there are studs higher tan the trim. What did you do since I would like to maybe reverse the procedure in the distant future? I would hate to have to grind them off. Can these studs be removed? HELP!
Greetings. I need to install a carrier on the rail, so I’ll need to take it off so that the strap can wrap around the rail. I’m alittle concerned about not getting the rail back on securely once the strap is wrapped around it. Making something out of nothing? Thanks.

Greetings. I need to install a carrier on the rail, so I’ll need to take it off so that the strap can wrap around the rail. I’m alittle concerned about not getting the rail back on securely once the strap is wrapped around it. Making something out of nothing? Thanks.
If you're keeping the rails you'll have no problem reinstalling. If you're removing the rails and installing the covers then the welded studs would have to be cut down below the level of the cover but leaving enough thread that a union nut can be screwed on and the studs (saved from when cut them off) can be reinstalled in order to reinstall the roof rails. For me it will never happen unless I sell her and the new owner wants them. However, I think the car looks better, there's a little less wind noise and I believe those who say you can get 2-3% less drag. Anyway how often are they used - if never then remove them.

21 - 34 of 34 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.