Kia Niro Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I’d like to use the tow hook in the front as a kayak tie down point. On my Outback I leave the hook in full time, but on the Niro it sticks out 5 inches and is the perfect height for catching your shin or knee. There are plenty of aftermarket options I’ve seen. Has anyone had any good experiences they would recommend? Or if not, do you know what the size and thread count to screw a replacement?

·
Registered
542 Posts
I use the Malone Tie Down Hood Loops Easy...Just attach them to a bolt under the hood. Only stick out when you need them, they just tuck away when you close the hood.

·
Registered
2020 Niro HEV EX+
170 Posts
Not sure what you would gain by putting in a replacement?
I just measured my hook and it is 22mm diameter - don't know the thread pitch but guessing it is 1.5
BTW, tow hooks are left hand thread.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Not sure what you would gain by putting in a replacement?
I just measured my hook and it is 22mm diameter - don't know the thread pitch but guessing it is 1.5
BTW, tow hooks are left hand thread.
Thanks.looki

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks. Looking for a hook that doesn’t stick out so much as to be a safety hazard when I’m loading kayas. The one that came with the Niro extends 5 inches beyond the bumper.

·
Registered
2020 Niro HEV EX+
170 Posts
I would pursue the hood tie down like Griswald mentions because you will tie down in center of car and not have to deal with the hook sticking out.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts