Kia Niro Forum banner

1 - 20 of 42 Posts

·
Registered
2,018 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Anyone done this or can give tips on how to access reverse bulbs in the fender? No visible screws or access points. Very mysterious.

I have some much brighter LED lamps in hand to fix the otherwise useless backup camera at night.

·
Registered
2,018 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
An update. Visited a dealer today for tips about replacing the backup lights. Under the bumper on each side is a removable plastic cover held on with four or five push pins (different number on each side). Once that is off, the light is easily accessible once you figure out how to unplug it. The difference is dramatic. Even in bright sunlight you can see the difference in the attached photo. Right is the dim yellow OEM bulb, left is the LED. At night you can actually see without the brake lights on. In fact, the brake lights are now distracting, lending a reddish halo to the backup lights without adding any visibility.

As best I can tell from reviews, add on LED lights like these have suspect reliability. But if they last a couple of years even, mostly used for very brief seconds, I'll be happy. I've linked the ones I bought, there are others that may throw an Canbus error message on the dash (but otherwise will work OK).
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B01HRI948Q/

Attachments

·
Registered
2,018 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Unless they don't work at all, they will be far better than OEM. It was the least safe part of my car. Nice to have a backup camera, but the light sensitivity and resolution is really poor. I actually bumped the bottom of my car twice, once on a rock, and once falling into a ditch I couldn't see parking in the boonies to sleep overnight in the car. I think the screen resolution is fine, it is the camera they saved 50 cents on.

·
Registered
30 Posts
I would recommend this type of LED backup bulb if you are going to do the backup light upgrade.
https://www.ebay.com/itm/2x-54SMD-LED-912-921-Car-Backup-Reverse-Light-Xenon-White-Error-Free-bulbs/332762945731?hash=item4d7a3798c3:g:5ocAAOSw7XNbSQ4I

It has a 360 degree light output which helps out more than the one mentioned above by ytcolev. The one he mentions is a good and bright bulb, but when it is installed in the Niro, the LEDs do not shine directly outward at all. They shine to the left and right inside the housing.

·
Registered
28 Posts
white17lx

I have just put new LED bulbs in the back up lights and the difference is quite remarkable, the camera will give acceptable picture in total darkness.

While changing the lights, I removed the cover on the left side I have found about two cups of sand and small stones inside. There are two (apparently too small) openings in the cover bottom to allow the sand to fall out, but the "stuff" remained inside, many of the stones were too big to pass though the bottom holes. How did it get there? No rocks were behind the smaller cover on the right side. The vehicle travelled about 100 miles on gravel roads and many miles in construction zones.

·
Registered
74 Posts
Now if you can figure out how to make the camera useful when it's raining. Where the camera is mounted offers zero protection from water getting on the lense, thereby making it useless.

·
Super Moderator
465 Posts
Now if you can figure out how to make the camera useful when it's raining. Where the camera is mounted offers zero protection from water getting on the lense, thereby making it useless.

Duck tape, an electric hair drier and one of those 110v ac inverter should do the trick. Just angle the drier upwards to blow a warm breeze of air to keep the camera dry. Just a thought :eek:

·
Registered
22 Posts
TKS for the back up light LED upgrade & Amazon link. This is what I look for in a Forum. Useful information. I have added a high quality tire inflator to my Niro. Craftsman 12 volt model # 75120. I fits in the left side deep "trunk" pocket. Dave

·
Registered
30 Posts
Once you remove the black plastic covers on each side under the bumper, you will see the back up light bulb electrical connectors. Remove the the connectors from the bulb socket by pressing the clip and wiggling it off. When lying on your back and looking up from underneath, you have to twist the bulb socket to the left a 1/4 turn to remove it. After replacing the bulb, just reverse the procedure to install and make sure you push the electrical connector on fully or the bulb may not light.

·
Super Moderator
465 Posts
Wondering if Amazon is just trying to stop me from changing those lights? The linked item is to the .com rather than .ca for us in Canada. The exact same part here is $58, and that is sort of steep for a reversing light bulb. So there are loads of others that are similar and maybe not listed as quite as bright, but whenever I click on them, Amazon keeps telling me that those are not compatible with my Niro. I don't know if they are really saying they are not a recommended replacement part, or if they are saying that don't bother they just won't fit and will not work.

I think we are bound by a socket type and a power wattage draw. I guess you must consider size in a bulb that is just too large will not fit inside the reverse light assembly. I am wondering if these parts are available off the shelf from an auto parts store in Niagara Falls NY. I have a growing list of shopping items that I will someday get when I head down that direction.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Once you remove the black plastic covers on each side under the bumper, you will see the back up light bulb electrical connectors. Remove the the connectors from the bulb socket by pressing the clip and wiggling it off. When lying on your back and looking up from underneath, you have to twist the bulb socket to the left a 1/4 turn to remove it. After replacing the bulb, just reverse the procedure to install and make sure you push the electrical connector on fully or the bulb may not light.
Thanks for the instructions! Super helpful. I replaced mine with the Amazon one linked to in the thread and they are better!

Anyone try the eBay ones? Wondering of they're better with the LEDs all around.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

·
Registered
12 Posts
I bought a pair of LED off-road lights. ~2x3"? We're on a lake, and the driveway is steep. And bends a bit. I mounted a lamp below the LR bumper, on each car. It makes it a lot simpler in the dark. And beats painting a white line on the driveway, below the camera's view.
For parking, I really like the Leaf's 360º cameras.
Two women in the neighborhood have steep driveways like mine. The garage is under the house, perpendicular to the driveway. They both back down the driveway and back into the garage. One is a Mercedes. It takes practice. And our garages are wider than 80".

·
Super Moderator
465 Posts
I am wondering for those who have purchased and replaced the reverse lighting bulbs. How easy was it. What year of Niro do you have? I ask as I looked it up on the manual and it says for my Canadian 2018 Niro that these lights are an intergrated item and require a dealer to replace. Now that said, I would also no doubt that Kia would prefer you as well to take it to a dealer to replace the Oil in your car, or replace air filters, break pads and a whole load of things, but that doesn't mean that they are not user replaceable. As it is a bit freezing outside I have not got around to giving it a try. Just thought I'd ask before taking on a job that might have no good ending.

·
Registered
2,018 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
I thought it was super easy once you know where to look (see post #2). It could be done in five minutes. Integrated? Sure, I suppose it is "integrated into the rear bumper. But I get the idea that Kia, at least in Canada, wants everything done by a Kia dealer, pushing the idea that if you don't, the warranty is somehow voided.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Thank, your instruction really help. specially the "you have to twist the bulb socket to the left a 1/4 turn to remove it":D

·
Registered
74 Posts
I agree with yticolev. It's probably the .50 cents they saved or the money they would spend making the camera hidden unless used in the KIA emblem.

1 - 20 of 42 Posts