Kia Niro Forum banner

21 - 37 of 37 Posts

·
Super Moderator
463 Posts
Finally got around to replacing the reverse bulb on my Niro. It was a very simple job to do. I sort of wish I would have pulled out the camera and taken a couple of pictures just to point out how easy it is. I guess I will have to wait for a nice dark raining night to really see if they actually make any difference. On a clear night the original backup lights seem to work ok, but throw in some rain and the reverse gets really grainy and it gets rather hard to decern what is what.

·
Registered
2,013 Posts
Discussion Starter #22
I could have taken some pictures too, but it is so simple that I don't think pictures will be of much use. You just have to get your head under the rear bumper and eyeball those push pins and the rest is easy.

Personally, I find the picture grainy in broad daylight. The dash monitor is not very high resolution to begin with, and the camera is similar to the Apple camera I had twenty years ago. One more dollar spent on the camera would have been great. Other than the blurry effect of water on the camera, I don't have much problem in the rain with the new lights. Almost impossible to use with the original bulbs in the dark much less dark and raining.

·
Registered
243 Posts
Just got my Niro. The actual backup's light output is not great but adequate for me. However, the image is quite grainy. Do the LEDs reduce graininess or just brighten things up?

·
Registered
2,013 Posts
Discussion Starter #24
The way cameras work is by light activation. Not enough light, many of the pixels will not activate. The resolution and sensitivity of the specific camera sensor makes a huge difference. Saw a Bjorn video review of a 2020 Ioniq BEV and it has a far superior camera (at a cost of at least 50 cents more than our crap camera). So the issue is with nighttime sensitivity just like a handheld camera or smart phone. You need a better flash with a poorer camera. That improves the picture, and yes, the grain. We cannot (probably) swap our camera for a better one, so the lighting needs to be improved. Thus a brighter reverse light is needed. Only a couple of bucks to swap them out and that will improve the nighttime resolution (graininess) for you even if otherwise you find it adequate. I HAD to swap them for simple safety.

·
Registered
243 Posts
Neither of the bulbs in this thread are currently available on Amazon. What is the OEM size -- are they T25 wedge or something else? Thanks

·
Registered
243 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dovidan View Post
Neither of the bulbs in this thread are currently available on Amazon. What is the OEM size -- are they T25 wedge or something else? Thanks
I wonder if it has anything to do with Trump's China tariffs?

Politics aside, can anyone tell me what the appropriate bulb designation is so I can order the right ones the 1st time? :nerd:

·
Registered
2,013 Posts
Discussion Starter #28
Politics? Just wondering why many replacement bulbs are not being sold anymore. Would seem to be a supply problem.

Looking at the linked bulbs, specifications state universal T15/912/941. The Niro manual describes it as a "16W" at 21 watts. If you are ordering from an auto parts store, they will list the bulbs that fit.
Kia Niro : Specifications : Lighting System

·
Registered
243 Posts
Politics? Just wondering why many replacement bulbs are not being sold anymore. Would seem to be a supply problem.

Looking at the linked bulbs, specifications state universal T15/912/941. The Niro manual describes it as a "16W" at 21 watts. If you are ordering from an auto parts store, they will list the bulbs that fit.
Kia Niro : Specifications : Lighting System
Thanks, that is exactly what I needed.

·
Registered
243 Posts
A few days after installing these, I got the dreaded "Turn off car / Check Hybrid System" warning along with its associated bells & whistles. Warning went off after two restarts & car ran fine but I was obedient & called Kia emergency road service who hauled car back to the dealer. There they got pulled these codes from the OBD: PO61A00, P33500, P25A2.
They couldn't find any problem. Charged it up and as the drove it away the same warning reappeared. Same codes. They called higher up and were told it might have a bad ground so they redid 3 different grounds. 5 days and less than 100 miles later, same warning returns. YIKES! This time the warning goes off except check engine light stays on so I drive ot 10 back to dealer. :crying:

I have not heard back from them yet but am wondering what the odds are that my new LED back up lights might be causing car to throw warning codes? Here is a link to the LEDs: JDM ASTAR Extremely Bright 2000 Lumens 360-Degree Shine 921 912 90-EX Chipsets LED Bulbs For Backup Reverse Lights, Xenon White

·
Registered
243 Posts
What did dealer say these codes were for? If Canbus errors, yup, the lights you just installed.
Codes were: P0335 Crankshaft Position Sensor Malfunction - Circuit A.
P0601 Internal Control Module Memory Checksum Error.
 P25A2 Brake System Control Module Requested MIL Illumination

I don't see the word "Canbus" in any of these but am not knowledgeable enough to know if these are related to Canbus or not. What do you think?

The LED maker claims completely error free for most cars -- may not be for latest European cars. I checked for reviews that mentioned Canbus issues, were none. I check for install in Kias and there were about half a dozen, no complaints.

I may just have to fess up to the dealer that there are new backup LEDs on board :eek: Or I guess I could just remove them for a month than try em again.

·
Registered
148 Posts
I think you may do yourself and the technician a favor by telling them that. If not it would certainly be worth taking them out and seeing if the problem disappears.

It would not be the first time 'electrical noise' was introduced into a system and caused problems.

Either way I hope you get your car back in perfect working condition soon!

·
Registered
243 Posts
I've got my car back again. They got a couple of new codes and replaced a crankshaft & camshaft positioner sensor off a new car on their lot. Still somewhat of a mystery exactly what went wrong whether or not the aftermarket LED backup lights I installed caused or contributed to the problem And apparently one was loose in its socket. :eek::confused::eek:.

As much as I appreciated having brighter backup lights, I've replaced the LEDs with OEM bulbs for now. Will drive it for a few months -- hopefully free of any mechanical or electrical issues. Then if no issues, I may try the LEDs again.

My Kia dealer was pretty good natured about it & thankfully didn't try to blame me for the problem -- although it is definitely possible that those BU lights were the issue :x -- either due to it being a diff bulb or bulb being loose.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Is there a trick to pulling the tail light housing (outer portion)?

Ive removed the small plate and the two screws but that housing doesn’t come out easily. Any help is appreciated. Thanks.

·
Registered
10 Posts
It is fixed with two rubber studs, so you need to pull the light straight out!
I sadly did not and broke a piece of the lover back corner edge of the light :-(
So be carefull not to let the light hit the car when you may wrigle it a little. Especially at the back corner where it is only a thin plastic edge.

21 - 37 of 37 Posts