Kia Niro Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all, I'm wondering how well the Kia Niro rides (trying to arrange a test drive myself but haven't had time lately). I'm looking to buy a small SUV with very comfortable ride quality (absorbs bumps well, cushy ride) and a hushed cabin (my current 09 Pontiac Vibe has an enormous amount of wind and ambient noise). How does the Niro fare on those criteria?

Also, I'm pretty tall--don't care about rear headroom, but how's the head room up front?

·
Registered
450 Posts
It's Good for me. I'm only 5'8" 198 lbs and 28" inseam. Have had larger people test drive it and they seemed comfortable with seat pushed back.

Reckon best thing for you to do is test drive one.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks. Like I said I'll try to test drive as soon as I can, just been tricky timing the last couple of weeks.

How do you find the ambient noise level inside the car and the ride quality over rough roads?

·
Registered
125 Posts
It has a quiet ride and handles well on smooth and bumpy roads. I'm 6'3" and still have several inches of head room and my kids have no issues sitting behind me. I've driven the Vibe before and it will be night and day compared to the NIRO. I highly recommend it.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
It has a quiet ride and handles well on smooth and bumpy roads. I'm 6'3" and still have several inches of head room and my kids have no issues sitting behind me. I've driven the Vibe before and it will be night and day compared to the NIRO. I highly recommend it.
Wow, interesting. Can't wait to try it. Thanks. Does your Niro have a sunroof? I find that the sunroof is what kills the headroom for me in many, many cars (my Vibe doesn't have a sunroof and has over 41 inches of headroom).

·
Registered
125 Posts
Wow, interesting. Can't wait to try it. Thanks. Does your Niro have a sunroof? I find that the sunroof is what kills the headroom for me in many, many cars (my Vibe doesn't have a sunroof and has over 41 inches of headroom).
It does have a sunroof, Touring with the Tech package. In many cars, the sunroof does each into headroom, but with the NIRO, it might even give you more headroom because there is actually more headroom where the sunroof is vs. outside the sunroof. I hope I explained that clearly.

·
Registered
23 Posts
I got the sunroof as well, and don't believe that it makes much difference to overall sitting height clearance. I am 6'1" and have plenty of room. He has not yet tried it, but i believe my 6'5" son would fit just fine.

The car is quiet, with the only significant outside noise coming when the sunroof is open at 60+ MPH! Doesn't stop me from commuting with the top open morning and evening.

·
Registered
450 Posts
My EX came with sunroof because ot the TECH Option (Sunroof is auto on that tech pkg). I would never add a sunroof if I could avoid it. Just don't care for one.

Since it is there, I do slide the shade back on dreary rainy days to let more light in.

·
Registered
13 Posts
My EX came with sunroof because ot the TECH Option (Sunroof is auto on that tech pkg). I would never add a sunroof if I could avoid it. Just don't care for one.

Since it is there, I do slide the shade back on dreary rainy days to let more light in.
Agree with this sentiment.

To answer the OP: My EX with 16" tires rides pretty good on the highway. The acoustic windshield is helpful. As with most cars, the larger rim/narrower tires on the touring (18") likely degrade the ride, but improve handling.

Test drive it yourself for at least 20-30 minutes, don't be shy asking the salesman to let you ride alone. It's your money and happiness that are important!

·
Registered
174 Posts
I think it is a comfortable ride even on the 18inch rims. I do feel the sound emanating from the tires is a tad louder than my previous car a chevy volt. I also would like the engine to be even more quite. The seats are like a 7/10 comfort wise. Overall I'm pretty happy with the interior comfort.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Mine is super quite inside and that was a main point for me. I switched from my 2013 accord just because of that and i had a great deal on it.

·
Registered
23 Posts
My tall 6'5" son got to ride with me this weekend. He had plenty of head room in both the front and back seats, though leg room in the back was a little tight!

·
Registered
71 Posts
I think it is a comfortable ride even on the 18inch rims. I do feel the sound emanating from the tires is a tad louder than my previous car a chevy volt. I also would like the engine to be even more quite. The seats are like a 7/10 comfort wise. Overall I'm pretty happy with the interior comfort.
Was your Volt a Gen 1 or 2? What were your main reasons for switching to the Nero? I have a Gen 2 and I'll be interested in the Nero PHEV that hopefully will be available late fall/early winter. I really miss my Kia Sportage as I prefer a higher seating of a CUV. What is your seating opinion? Is it higher up, the same, better?
The reviews I've read so far are generally good except for the powertrain as the transmission has problems making up its mind what gear it should be in. What is your experiences?

·
Registered
174 Posts
Was your Volt a Gen 1 or 2? What were your main reasons for switching to the Nero? I have a Gen 2 and I'll be interested in the Nero PHEV that hopefully will be available late fall/early winter. I really miss my Kia Sportage as I prefer a higher seating of a CUV. What is your seating opinion? Is it higher up, the same, better?
The reviews I've read so far are generally good except for the powertrain as the transmission has problems making up its mind what gear it should be in. What is your experiences?
I had a Gen 1.

I was in between a Gen 2, Niro, and Bolt. Bolt was too expensive. Gen2 Volt had the same main issue I had with Gen 1, which was the rear legroom.

Seating position is definitely high up in the Niro vs the Volt. My grandpa would have a much harder time getting in and out of the volt versus the Niro.

I haven't had issues with the transmission except a sort of jerk at stop signs that sometimes happens. See more here http://www.kianiroforum.com/forum/10-engine-electric-powertrain-discussion/2618-lunge-jump-push-forward-when-driving-slow.html

The volt's cabin is more quit and it also does a better job of coasting than the Niro with 18in rims.

·
Registered
2 Posts
I went from a 2010 Honda CR-V to the 2017 Niro Touring Launch Edition. I think the ride is a little harsher than it was in the Honda but the cabin is noticeably quieter.

·
Registered
2 Posts
I have a Touring model. I'm 5 11' and have plenty of room in the driver's seat, and in the back. I'm comfortable in the Niro and I like the power seat adjustments on the Touring model which includes power lumbar support. The sunroof doesn't reduce headroom at all. As for noise level, I'm pleased. There's a bit more noise with the 18' tires and there's a reduction in MPG's , but the trade off is that the larger tires allow for better traction and handling. After 1500 miles, including a 400 mile trip, I'm averaging 45 MPG. But I'm not a fast driver and was not looking for a car to drive faster than 75 MPH on the highway or to speed around town. The Niro was the kind of car I was looking for-- a small, comfortable SUV with good gas mileage.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts