Kia Niro Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
57 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
A couple days ago, I had something (a piece of semi tire, most likely) catch the underside of my Niro at 80 mph. Tore the lip off the bottom of the bumper and ripped the skid plate pretty much in half. Insurance says that is collision, not comprehensive, so I paid $350 to have a skid plate installed and to be told that the lip can't be reinstalled without an additional $250 bottom part of the bumper. I elected not to have a lip on the bottom of the bumper.
Turns out the skid plate (or, probably more accurately, engine splash guard) is pretty simple to unbolt/bolt on, but $30 labor was worth it to have someone put it on a lift to do it faster and easier.

·
Registered
77 Posts
It all depends on how you word it with the insurance company. I did the same thing a month ago. My insurance guy asked if it was moving or just laying in the road. Supposedly if it is moving he said it should be comprehensive. I elected not to fix it as I am nearing the 150,000 mile mark

·
Registered
57 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
It all depends on how you word it with the insurance company. I did the same thing a month ago. My insurance guy asked if it was moving or just laying in the road. Supposedly if it is moving he said it should be comprehensive. I elected not to fix it as I am nearing the 150,000 mile mark
I screwed up and did not specify it was moving, and I also said I could not positively identify what the object was. Animals also count under comprehensive, so I also could have said it looked like a badger if I had wanted to try that. Since I only spent about $100 more than my comprehensive deductible anyway, I would have been wisest to never even mention it to insurance.

·
Registered
77 Posts
I have a pretty cool deal with my insurance. But even too many comp claims can probably result in cancellation of a policy. My vehicle is listed as business usage. I use it for my job to the tune of 75000 miles per year. I think my comp deductable is $250 but if I make a claim they give me $200 for loss of use. Yes animals and hail fall under comp. I have hit 3 deer and been in a baseball size hail storm in the last 12 years. Sometimes you just gotta eat the cost of the damage and save your insurance for the bigger claim. You probably did the right thing. My estimate from the body shop was $800.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts