Kia Niro Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey everyone!

I am getting excited for my second extensive road trip with my 2017 Kia Niro EX. We're taking an end of Summer trip through the Eastern US. The rough route is estimated to be 4,588 miles and 92.5 hours of drive time. We're hitting all of the Great Lakes, Niagara Falls, Washington D.C, following the Appalachian Trail down to Pensacola, FL, hopping over to Ocean Springs, MS and New Orleans, then hitting up some caves in Branson, MO on our way back north!

If all goes well, we plan to be on the road around 2 weeks give or take. We're in prepare for crunch time mode. We still have to replace our tires, and we're not sure if the Michelin Energy Saver A/S (what it came with) are worth the extra bucks or if we're going to go with the Goodyear Assurance Fuel Max (which are much cheaper). Any opinions?

Looking forward to really breaking in the car.

Isaac

Attachments

·
Super Moderator
542 Posts
We still have to replace our tires, and we're not sure if the Michelin Energy Saver A/S (what it came with) are worth the extra bucks or if we're going to go with the Goodyear Assurance Fuel Max (which are much cheaper). Any opinions?

Isaac
What is the price gap between those 2 tire model ?

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
What is the price gap between those 2 tire model ?
$492 installed for the Goodyear and $730 installed for the Michelin. Tread warranty is the same on both and the Michelin seem to have the best reviews in the eco class whereas Goodyear has some mixed reviews it seems.

Isaac

·
Registered
382 Posts
I had 2 sets of Goodyear Fuel Max tires on my old Prius. While I generally liked the tires I found them to become very noisy during the second half of their life.

·
Registered
382 Posts
Also it was my understanding that the Michelin tires that comes on the Niro is a run flat tire. That would weigh in my decision when replacing them since the car doesn't come with a spare unless the owner gets one. My understanding was that you could go up to 50 mi. with the tire flat in case of emergency. Hope that's correct.

·
Registered
312 Posts
Also it was my understanding that the Michelin tires that comes on the Niro is a run flat tire. That would weigh in my decision when replacing them since the car doesn't come with a spare unless the owner gets one. My understanding was that you could go up to 50 mi. with the tire flat in case of emergency. Hope that's correct.
This is NOT the case. You're also confusing run flat with self sealing. Michelin does make a self sealing version of the Energy Saver A/S. It comes on the Bolt EV. The Energy Saver A/S that comes with the Niro is NOT the self sealing version. You can tell the difference by looking for the SelfSeal logo on the sidewall. SelfSeal does not give you any guaranteed range after the tire has been punctured. You just have to pray the sealant holds until you can get it repaired.

Attachments

·
Registered
312 Posts
If all goes well, we plan to be on the road around 2 weeks give or take. We're in prepare for crunch time mode. We still have to replace our tires, and we're not sure if the Michelin Energy Saver A/S (what it came with) are worth the extra bucks or if we're going to go with the Goodyear Assurance Fuel Max (which are much cheaper). Any opinions?
Take a look at these very highly rated Pirelli P7's.

https://www.tirerack.com/tires/tires.jsp?tireMake=Pirelli&tireModel=Cinturato+P7+All+Season+Plus&partnum=06HR6CP7ASPV2&vehicleSearch=true&fromCompare1=yes&autoMake=Kia&autoYear=2019&autoModel=Niro Plug-In Hybrid&autoModClar=

I recently put a set on my wife's CX-5 and it increased her average mpg by 2-3. They are also quieter than the OEM tire and softened the ride. The Bolt/Volt community swear by them and the tire has developed a cult like following by those drivers. When I need tires on the Niro, I've going with the Pirelli's.

·
Registered
137 Posts
Yikes and I thought my one Waterfall tire from Walmart at $75 mounted, balanced, with road hazard was expensive.lol

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Take a look at these very highly rated Pirelli P7's.

https://www.tirerack.com/tires/tires.jsp?tireMake=Pirelli&tireModel=Cinturato+P7+All+Season+Plus&partnum=06HR6CP7ASPV2&vehicleSearch=true&fromCompare1=yes&autoMake=Kia&autoYear=2019&autoModel=Niro Plug-In Hybrid&autoModClar=

I recently put a set on my wife's CX-5 and it increased her average mpg by 2-3. They are also quieter than the OEM tire and softened the ride. The Bolt/Volt community swear by them and the tire has developed a cult like following by those drivers. When I need tires on the Niro, I've going with the Pirelli's.
Thanks! I may have to check these out.

·
Registered
312 Posts
Yikes and I thought my one Waterfall tire from Walmart at $75 mounted, balanced, with road hazard was expensive.lol
No offense, but I think I trust a tire that costs $75 installed including road hazard about as far as I could throw it.

·
Registered
137 Posts
No offense, but I think I trust a tire that costs $75 installed including road hazard about as far as I could throw it.
I'll see how it last but has excellent reviews and it looks better. Have 3 of the Michelins still I'll compare them all at about 45k miles. It'll definitely bust open like that Michelin did when I ran over something though.

·
Registered
382 Posts
This is NOT the case. You're also confusing run flat with self sealing. Michelin does make a self sealing version of the Energy Saver A/S. It comes on the Bolt EV. The Energy Saver A/S that comes with the Niro is NOT the self sealing version. You can tell the difference by looking for the SelfSeal logo on the sidewall. SelfSeal does not give you any guaranteed range after the tire has been punctured. You just have to pray the sealant holds until you can get it repaired.

No I know they are not self sealing. I thought they were run flat tires.

·
Registered
382 Posts
$492 installed for the Goodyear and $730 installed for the Michelin. Tread warranty is the same on both and the Michelin seem to have the best reviews in the eco class whereas Goodyear has some mixed reviews it seems.

Isaac

Boy that seems really expensive. Have you tried www.discounttiredirect.com

I usually get my tires from them and just have the local garage put them on.

·
Registered
382 Posts
I guess I got wrong info. Should have known not to trust what the salesman said. I checked on Tirerack and I see that the original equipment tires on the Niro are not run flat, but Bridgestone makes a tire that is run flat for the Niro and it's about $10 less than what they want for the Michelins.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Well, I wrapped up the trip! It was amazing! 5,295 miles in 17 days. The car did phenomenal in the mountain regions of southern Ontario, and down the Appalachians. I don't think we filled up at under 62MPG once through there. At one point, I even made it 60 miles at 84MPG (almost all downhill). Then, unfortunately, we hit the freeway because we were behind schedule. I think we averaged between 48 and 53 MPG through the gulf coast and from New Orleans to Minnesota. In case anyone was wondering, we did go ahead with the Goodyear tires, and they handled decent and there wasn't really a noticeable decline in gas mileage, but there is considerably more road noise than there was with the Michelins, but not so much that it drove me nuts, yet.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts