Kia Niro Forum banner

21 - 40 of 62 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
I got mine from Mick's and after waiting on they key to be sent, opening them and then having one of the rubber cushions missing and waiting for that for 2 weeks I installed them. They are fine except for the wind noise so I took them off and will only use them if I need them.

·
Registered
249 Posts
I just bought the black version of the fleabay ones, they should be here by Thursday, and I'll write here about my initial impressions. They were only $109 with free shipping, plus eBay gave me a $5 off coupon code, plus I apparently had a $35 gift card balance on my account that I didn't even realize I had. So, for $69, they'd have to be REALLY bad for them to not be worth the price I paid for them.

I plan to only have them installed when I'm actually using them, otherwise they'll stay in the garage to keep mpg as low as possible.

·
Registered
249 Posts
Good thing I wasn't planning to keep the rails on my car except when I'm using them, because holy moly are they LOUD. Above about 25mph, sounds like there's a tornado on my roof.

Sturdy, though. Should serve the purpose just fine. Look decent, too.

·
Registered
394 Posts
My Nordrive roofrack arrived from Mick's garage. Easy to put on, but the front bar makes lots of noise once I get above 35 MPH. That's not a big deal, because I mostly only plan to use it for around town stuff and it's easy to put on and take off. But I'm wondering if there might be a secret in terms of placement? Did anyone purchase the OEM roof rack and if so, did it include guidance on how far forward or aft to place it on the roof rails?

·
Registered
44 Posts
I have the OEM roof rack and have tried everything to make them quieter in regards to placement. I have a sun roof and really like to use it. I have taken to only having them mounted when hauling our kayaks around. But recently I have found info about wrapping a bungee cord around the crossbars from end to end. Claims are that it make a world of difference. Just google it or look for it on YouTube. Should be easy enough to find examples and experiences. I will try it next year once our forever long MN winter ends.

·
Registered
74 Posts
Hey everyone,

Everyone is talking about "roof bars" but has anyone purchased a roof rack to fit on the bars? If so, what did you order?

·
Registered
28 Posts
Hello Everyone,

I wanted to share some pictures of the OEM racks I picked up for my 2018 EX PHEV. I ordered them from mykiaparts.com for almost $100 cheaper than what dealer wanted. They are part G5F21-AC000 that Kia and mykiaparts both said was the latest revision for my car. I only mounted one to try it out. They seem more aero blade-like than the previous rounded versions that were discontinued that were white and rounded. They take minutes to mount properly, come with two keys, a very detailed manual, and an Allen key for installation/removal.

First thing to mount to it will be a roof top box that I'm currently in the market for and hoping to find used on Craigslist.

Attachments

·
Registered
394 Posts
Nice looking rack. Did the paperwork that came with it provide any guidance on how far forward or aft to mount it? What does it sound like at 45 MPH? (my after-market racks are kind of loud above 40).

·
Registered
4 Posts
Has anyone figured out how to attach a long object (eg canoe) front and back? There don't seem to be any accessible tiedowns under the front or rear bumpers. Bizarre.

·
Registered
266 Posts
Has anyone figured out how to attach a long object (eg canoe) front and back? There don't seem to be any accessible tiedowns under the front or rear bumpers. Bizarre.
Has anyone figured out how to attach a long object (eg canoe) front and back? There don't seem to be any accessible tiedowns under the front or rear bumpers?

These work "quick loops" great for front tie downs. Simple, effective, cheap! What more could one ask?
https://www.amazon.com/Shoreline-Marine-Propel-Trunk-tie-Down/dp/B01CRBXQUK/ref=asc_df_B01CRBXQUK/?tag=hyprod-20&linkCode=df0&hvadid=198096074308&hvpos=1o2&hvnetw=g&hvrand=11529419340837422612&hvpone=&hvptwo=&hvqmt=&hvdev=c&hvdvcmdl=&hvlocint=&hvlocphy=9033339&hvtargid=pla-352338593937&psc=1

Just put them under the hood wherever you like & run ropes thru the loops. I've used them to secure canoes & kayaks on Foresters, Outbacks, Fits, & Del Sols.

They could also be used for the back putting them behind the hatch with the loops sticking out. Alternatively, usually there is some place under the rear bumper where you can put a loop of rope for you back rope -- just not around the tail pipe. ;)
I typically have used one rope to secure the back in the back.

·
Registered
54 Posts
Yes there is a way! (and dang my wife just took the care out I'll take some pics tomorrow!)
Pop the hood - on the inside on each side there will be a blot. Easily removed, Pick up these Thule grommets
https://www.amazon.com/Thule-Hood-Loop-Strap/dp/B07CJ5JWZZ
or this
https://www.austinkayak.com/products/1556/Yak-Gear-Hood-Loops-2-pack.html

use the bolts to hold them down When you are using a canoe just swing them out when not using them swing then back under the hood. Trust me .. works beautifully

In the back, you can use the same type of strap, but get 2 strong carabiners - you will see at each side of the cargo hold a buckle to attach the carrabiner. Then the straps hang out when you need them. My wife uses the V shape straps and this holds the canoe nicely. And it has not scratched the vehicle

I've got Thule racks and rest the canoe or kayak on that. The documentation says don't put weight directly on your sunroof.

here is a pic of the kayak on the Niro. You can see the straps under the hood coming out. Sorry I don't have one for the back Have used this for both the kayak and canoe,
Will attach pics of the straps on Thursday

On previous vehicle (VW Golf wagon) we used the towing hook on the front and I had a hitch on the back which provided tie'downs My wife does a lot of kayak/canoe, the folks in her club say using these hood straps and the ones coming out the hatch is the best way of doing things

Will get some better pics of the front and back for you on Thursday

Attachments

·
Registered
54 Posts
a few more pics .. apologies lots of snow here and salt on roads, I typically keep the car much much cleaner!
You can see the bolt under the hood - easy to remove, put the strap in then rebolt in place. There is even a small place to tuck the strap when not in use under the hood.
At the back, same straps, each side of the cargo hold, there is a clip. Use same type of strap (get a longer one) withthe grommet. Put a good carabiner on each one. Works beautifully.

Attachments

21 - 40 of 62 Posts