Kia Niro Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
This has been said before, but the shifting is funky sometimes. Not the smoothest drive train out there. I would even go so far as to say that a panicked burst of speed when doing a left hand turn could be dangerous. I have had the odd serious lag as if the drivetrain couldn’t decide what to do.

All in all, a good purchase and fun to drive. Just saying be mindful of those quick starts... or switch to sport.

·
Registered
35 Posts
Hi biffidum,
about the shifting, you should read some documents about the Dual Clutch Transmission which is installed on the Kia Niro.

What I understood is that the DCT has always 1 speed engaged and 1 ready to engage (Dual clutch). Funny thing is that the 2nd speed ready to engaged is 'predicted' as the best option for next shifting change. For example is you are accelerating, then Speed+1 is ready to engage to be prepared for shifting up. On the contrary, if you are decelerating, the Speed-1 is ready to engage to be prepared for shifting down.

Unfortunately that 'standard behavior' is sometime wrong. This is an example; you accelerate behind a truck on a highway, ready to pass the truck, and then you decide to shift-down to have a boost ... arg, you fooled the Dual Clutch which was prepared to shift-up and not shift-down ;) therefore, a lag is to be expected as no lower shift was ready to engage.
And sometime the 'standard behavior' is right. In this case, because of the dual clutch, shifting happens right away, like a breeze :)

It maybe surprising time to time, but the bright side is that 90% of the time, prediction is good and shifting is done smoothly ;)

·
Registered
12 Posts
i'm with you, biffidum.

the seeming disconnect from the ICE and the power/speed of the car is strange to me. i see it most days. i know about the first mile or so warm-up period it does which is growing to be expected. but still lots of apparently looseness in the loudness of the ramping rpms and the transmission just seeming to move nothing to the wheels when goosing it.

before this, i was driving a manual transmission, so it is a very foreign feel to me. i'm trying to learn to just let it do its thing and not worry about it.

·
Registered
2 Posts
In my 07 Camry hybrid I down shift when slowing down and also when stopping. In the Niro would that down shifting have any value?

·
Registered
2,684 Posts
Nope. One of the first things I did on a test drive was downshift at speed. Engine note went up, no apparent increase in slowing. Probably a bad practice in most cars with automatics anyway. I certainly did so in my manual transmission cars (actually the Niro is my first automatic). To assist in slowing, but also to be in the right gear. Automatics take car of that last, well, automatically!

·
Registered
171 Posts
My Niro is my first vehicle with an automatic transmission. I have never liked the way automatic cars shifted. Mostly because of their inability to hold gears. I find the Niro much better in this regard. That may be true of all hybrids/PHEV's. I haven't driven any other hybrid besides the Ioniq, which is the same drivetrain.

·
Super Moderator
981 Posts
In my 07 Camry hybrid I down shift when slowing down and also when stopping. In the Niro would that down shifting have any value?
But in a Niro, the only way to downshift is to enter sport mode. And that will fire up the ICE. Usually the ICE will shut off while braking, but I'm not certain it does if you downshift. Besides, you want the regen to capture as much of the braking energy as possible, and if the engine compression is doing some of the braking that's energy you can't recapture.

·
Registered
2,684 Posts
Sport mode doesn't necessarily fire up the ICE. Certainly not when slowing.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts