Kia Niro Forum banner

1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
69 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
With the Niro being such a new model, I'm guessing that the accessory list won't be very well developed.
Has anyone seen any listing for side window visor/deflectors?

tia

·
Registered
69 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
From what I've seen, the rear passenger windows are tinted so I don't know if I would bother putting deflectors on those, but the front doors don't appear tinted in the pics that I've seen.
Of course, it's nice having the window open a little even if it's raining.

I've had them on my last two vehicles and I really like them!

·
Registered
444 Posts
Hey -- Went on AMAZON and was buying (thought free shipping, but when got to final CLICK to buy was charge of like $7.50 for standard shipping and tax also.

Checked E-Bay (official site) and typed in KIA NIRO and got a page with Lot of Stuff including visor vent set that also has a visor for side mirrors = $49.99 and FREE Shipping.

Try this link: (or GO TO E BAY and Type IN Kia NIRO)

Kia Niro | eBay

·
Registered
444 Posts
Looked at a lot of extra stuff on the E Bay KIA NIRO besides the visors.

By the way --- found some cheaper than what I bought (but be careful some add shipping costs).

Not sure I will want visors over the mirrors - mine came with those (some do not).

·
Registered
69 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Wow. Thanks for the link. I had never seen those 'over mirror' shades offered before. I don't think I would use them either. but......
Please let us know how they work out once you receive them; perhaps even a pic or two.

·
Registered
2,018 Posts
Fun to customize, but be aware that those external options will cut aerodynamics and mpg. I go the other way and remove the passenger side mirror. That is a fairly large amount of drag removed.

·
Registered
444 Posts
My opinion --- Negligible drag especially when mostly driving at 30 to 50MPH in town.

Also, removing a side mirror might just be a legal problem if in an accident (modifying OEM), and could result in an accident.

Side mirrors have a purpose IMO.

·
Registered
2,018 Posts
My opinion --- Negligible drag especially when mostly driving at 30 to 50MPH in town.

Also, removing a side mirror might just be a legal problem if in an accident (modifying OEM), and could result in an accident.

Side mirrors have a purpose IMO.
Absolutely, good aerodynamics have a much smaller effect at those speeds. Most of my miles are cross country and every little bit makes a difference.

You cannot be found at fault for removing safety equipment that is not the proximate cause of the accident. In this case, the only possibility of an accident is a right lane change blind spot - rather rare in the absence of alcohol - I don't drink. I've not had one ever in many hundreds of thousands of miles and 45 years driving and have never observed one.

I substitute a much larger windshield mirror with a slight curvature that gives me a panoramic view of all my right side windows and the rear window. The blind spot is actually less than with an OEM side mirror.

Things will be better when NHTSA allows video cameras to replace side mirrors. Far better visibility and far better aerodynamics.

·
Registered
221 Posts
Nope. You ever try sticking your hand out the window and feeling the force of the wind on your hand? That is the extra drag of a side mirror. It's a lot! A quick Google will come up with lots of calculations, here is one:
Reflections on side mirrors: testing drag vs. MPG - MetroMPG.com
Well, what model did you end up buying? If you got anything other than the FE, you're giving up one or two, to several MPG's. Also the roof rack, or even the side rails are drag. The standard transmission instead of CVT, and the raised height was a compromise, so you could buy a more efficient make instead(Prius). I guess you could remove the floor mats and glove compartment door, back seats if not used, as well as all cups/bottles/coins. That is unneeded weight that lowers fuel economy. That would seem to make more sense than removing a possible safety item.

·
Registered
6 Posts
My EX (with tech package) has chrome seams around the windows so the stick on type will not work as the visors will cover up PART of the chrome trim. Will have to wait for WeatherTech's in-channel window visors to come out later....I hope.

·
Registered
69 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
I never used them on any of my cars until I bought a Dodge Dakota pickup that had them installed already. It took about 3 days to figure out how good they are! Now I put them on all my cars. Yup....they look pretty old fashioned but they have a lot of advantages.
The main one for me is when I'm driving and the sun is to the side of the car, which happens for me 90% of the time, there is no glare at all in my eyes. It's like sunglasses for the side windows. :)

Plus run with the window open a crack for fresh air, even when it's raining (might even improve aerodynamics in that state...air doesn't rush in with the window open)

Plus reduces wind noise with the wind open a crack.

And if they make my car look ugly, it's less likely to get stolen!! Plus.

1 - 20 of 32 Posts